• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jam_Man

Life President
I agree Jam Man. It would be nice to keep Tomlins goal scoring feat going but rather than risk him I would like to see game time given to some of the others, Freddy in particular. I know a lot of people say he did not produce the goods when given the opportunity against Bury but I still feel game time is the missing factor for him. Look at how many barren games Tomlin had but still got a run in the side. I know Tomlin was at least busy and buzzing when he wasn't scoring goals but that's his game. With Freddy we should only expect goals. He wasn't signed to be a dazzling winger or clever playmaker. The goals will come with more games.

Southend United's Gavin Tomlin a doubt for Johnstone's Paint Trophy game with Brentfo

SOUTHEND United’s in-form striker Gavin Tomlin is a huge doubt for tonight’s Johnstone’s Paint Trophy southern section quarter-final against his former side, Brentford.

More...

Wouldn't hurt for Tomlin to sit this one out, or Britt for that matter, but having not played at Bury I suspect he will start tonight. I'd like to see both Corr & Eastwood start this one.

Id go front two of britt and corr with fred just playing off the two of them.

Would rather start freddy and bring on corr for his arial presence later in the game

This is a tough one, to me is is massively importatnt to win , but at the same time I don't want to see Tomlin injured. In the next eight days we have JPT, league .promotion rivals in the league , and then teh F|A which could result in another match vs Brentford.

Winning breeds winning ,and if we can win all three think what they would do for morale , especially leading up to the busy xmas period and off course the FA cup 4th round . It would not surprise me if looking back in a few months time we saw this period as season defining

As Assombalonga is back for this one, it sort of forces Sturrocks hand. Both the front two do a lot of running and resting Assombalonga for Saturday and Tomlin tonight would make sure they are both 100% for Saturday.

If it was me, I would of thought of resting Tomlin tonight anyway. Eastwood and Corr are both good enough replacements.

As Assombalonga is back for this one, it sort of forces Sturrocks hand. Both the front two do a lot of running and resting Assombalonga for Saturday and Tomlin tonight would make sure they are both 100% for Saturday.

If it was me, I would of thought of resting Tomlin tonight anyway. Eastwood and Corr are both good enough replacements.

Yes, we could always play a slightly weakened team in the JPT and FA Cup to make sure of our promotion bid like we did last year. So we didn't get another trip to Liverpool, we didn't get a trip to Wembley and, oh yes, we didn't get promotion. That worked well.

Try to win every match and play your strongest team in every match.

We didnt get to play Liverpool as we lost away to a team in the league above us when we had only 10 men because our resident nutjob got sent off not because we played a weakened team.

I dont think Corr and Eastwood are to be scoffed at or can be deemed a huge weakening.

Personally I would go with Corr and Freddy - Both need games, both can score goals and whilst it would be good to win its not the be all and end all - the league is where its at so lets no risk him.

I like the idea mooted on this post earlier of playing Fred, Barry and Britt, have Gav on the bench for emergency use (and to be more rested for Saturday) & with the games starting to come 2 a week we will need to use all available: & maybe as the yellow card count closes in on MP and Timlin.

IMO it's always difficult to judge , Strongest Team versus Resting Players where possible - how to equate the pros and cons for either argument ?
Certainly a winning team and mentality MUST breed confidence , so in an ideal world this would be everyones choice.
But I guess as the games start to come thick and fast , the potential for fatigue and injury grow , so not resting players from time to time may be considered a short term view in terms of the whole season.

For me , I would just side with the strongest starting eleven each week ( however you judge that ).

I don't have any stats , but sure I recall some of the teams which won the old Div 1 in the 70's ( Arsenal , Leeds , Derby etc ) playing 60 plus games and using around 15 players in total.

It's Britt, Freddy & BBC for me. Attack, Attack Attack !!! 3-4-3 formation and a "Rush Goalie." No point in doing anything else. This ones a sprint not a marathon. Lets win 5-4 or something. Also serves the purpose of giving Freddy and BBC valuable game time and Brentford what they could be in for if we get past Bury.

Yes, we could always play a slightly weakened team in the JPT and FA Cup to make sure of our promotion bid like we did last year. So we didn't get another trip to Liverpool, we didn't get a trip to Wembley and, oh yes, we didn't get promotion. That worked well.

Try to win every match and play your strongest team in every match.

We're talking about resting a player who has an injury. What is the point in playing Tomlin tonight if he makes the injury worse and misses two or three league games? If course that might not happen but I just don't think it's worth the risk when we have so many alternatives.

We have eight games in 28 days. Might as well use the squad and keep players fresh where possible.

We're talking about resting a player who has an injury. What is the point in playing Tomlin tonight if he makes the injury worse and misses two or three league games? If course that might not happen but I just don't think it's worth the risk when we have so many alternatives.

We have eight games in 28 days. Might as well use the squad and keep players fresh where possible.

If he has got an injury, that is, I think, different from resting a player and a type of injury that could be aggravated shouldn't be risked.

It's Britt, Freddy & BBC for me. Attack, Attack Attack !!! 3-4-3 formation and a "Rush Goalie." No point in doing anything else. This ones a sprint not a marathon. Lets win 5-4 or something. Also serves the purpose of giving Freddy and BBC valuable game time and Brentford what they could be in for if we get past Bury.

Bringing in fresh players is one thing, changing formations as well seems like fixing something that aint broke.

Certainly hope Corr and Freddy both get decent pitch time tonight though.

I spoke to my mate this afternoon who is one of the fitness team at Brentford. He said they will be taking it very seriously and although they might rest a couple, they will still field a pratically first team. He said they pass the ball well and look to counter attack. I think they have only lost 1 in 17, although have drawn a few. Its going to be tough but can see it going to pens. I say play the strongest team possible.

Back