• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

George O Callaghan

zulu_shrimper

Don't think this has been covered here, but i have just managed to find this from an Irish press association website. The story was released yesterday (1/8/2006) - i just wonder if we may have the funds . . .

ENIGMATIC Cork City midfielder George O'Callaghan will be forced to leave Ireland to resume his football career after last night's domestic transfer deadline passed by without any move for the troubled star.
It was already considered unlikely that the 26-year-old would switch to another eircom League club after his well publicised stand-off with City manager Damien Richardson which has resulted in the player being absent from normal duties for the past month.
Surprise
However, there was a surprise development early yesterday when Richardson, in Serbia ahead of tomorrow's Champions League second round second leg clash with Red Star Belgrade, released a statement revealing that the player had been placed on the transfer list at his own request.
"As you aware, George O'Callaghan has not played or trained with Cork City for the last number of weeks despite requests on our part to do so," said Richardson.
"George has informed us that he doesn't wish to play for Cork City FC anymore and he has requested that he be put on the transfer list. We have complied with his request."
That gave any potential Irish suitors the opportunity to make a last-ditch effort to sign the player but neither Shelbourne or Drogheda United, who had been linked with O'Callaghan in the past, have made a bid. And while St Patrick's Athletic made their interest in last season's Player of the Year public a fortnight ago, they were unable to reach an agreement.
With O'Callaghan still contracted to the Leesiders for another 18 months, Cork are believed to be looking for a transfer fee in the region of €250,000. The playmaker is keen to move back to Britain but while Southend United and Nottingham Forest, as well as Czech side Slavia Plague, are rumoured to be interested, the price tag could prove a sticking point

Al

Well, like I said before, if we cannot get Robinson, from what I've seen O'Callaghan looks very similar - I called him a 'poor-mans Robinson', by which I really meant a cheaper version!!

Brush said on BW that they leave it as late as possible, but if a deal doesnt move the way they want, they scrub that name off the list and move on...

From what I've seen, I'd be very happy with O'Callaghan - and like Robinson, he can play wide, in the middle or upfront.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zulu_shrimper @ Aug. 02 2006,20:44)]Don't think this has been covered here, but i have just managed to find this from an Irish press association website. The story was released yesterday (1/8/2006) - i just wonder if we may have the funds . . .

ENIGMATIC Cork City midfielder George O'Callaghan will be forced to leave Ireland to resume his football career after last night's domestic transfer deadline passed by without any move for the troubled star.
It was already considered unlikely that the 26-year-old would switch to another eircom League club after his well publicised stand-off with City manager Damien Richardson which has resulted in the player being absent from normal duties for the past month.
Surprise
However, there was a surprise development early yesterday when Richardson, in Serbia ahead of tomorrow's Champions League second round second leg clash with Red Star Belgrade, released a statement revealing that the player had been placed on the transfer list at his own request.
"As you aware, George O'Callaghan has not played or trained with Cork City for the last number of weeks despite requests on our part to do so," said Richardson.
"George has informed us that he doesn't wish to play for Cork City FC anymore and he has requested that he be put on the transfer list. We have complied with his request."
That gave any potential Irish suitors the opportunity to make a last-ditch effort to sign the player but neither Shelbourne or Drogheda United, who had been linked with O'Callaghan in the past, have made a bid. And while St Patrick's Athletic made their interest in last season's Player of the Year public a fortnight ago, they were unable to reach an agreement.
With O'Callaghan still contracted to the Leesiders for another 18 months, Cork are believed to be looking for a transfer fee in the region of €250,000. The playmaker is keen to move back to Britain but while Southend United and Nottingham Forest, as well as Czech side Slavia Plague, are rumoured to be interested, the price tag could prove a sticking point

Al
Leesider to Seasider has a certain ring to it.

Hope he's better than the last O'Callaghan to "grace" the Hall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zulu_shrimper @ Aug. 02 2006,20:44)]Don't think this has been covered here, but i have just managed to find this from an Irish press association website. The story was released yesterday (1/8/2006) - i just wonder if we may have the funds . . .

Surprise

Al
Saw that youtube vid of his goals for cork the other day and looks a good finisher. Looks like the sort of goal scoring midfielder we need and would be a hell of a lot cheaper than Robinson

how much is 250,000 euros? I'd take a guess at about £120,000 which seems a lot for someone who is somewhat an unknown quantity. Especially when a striker has got to be the priority with any remaining transfer cash.

Finally I have to echo the fears regarding the possible £250,000 price paid for Clarke. That must be our transfer kitty used up bar Hooper (wages)?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the_saafender @ Aug. 02 2006,20:52)]
[b said:

Surprise

Al
Saw that youtube vid of his goals for cork the other day and looks a good finisher. Looks like the sort of goal scoring midfielder we need and would be a hell of a lot cheaper than Robinson

how much is 250,000 euros? I'd take a guess at about £120,000 which seems a lot for someone who is somewhat an unknown quantity. Especially when a striker has got to be the priority with any remaining transfer cash.

Finally I have to echo the fears regarding the possible £250,000 price paid for Clarke. That must be our transfer kitty used up bar Hooper (wages)?
'Unknown Quantity' is a little harsh as he played over here for a while with Port Vale - winning their Player of the Year award in his first season...

a quick FX calculation . . . EUR 250,000 equates to about 170k

A lot less than we may have had to pay for Robinson, and as already been stated, i too have seen the video of this guy, and he looks very classy indeed

sign him up Ron

Al

[b said:
[b said:

Surprise

Al

I think you'd be surprised whats in our transfer kitty.

We won't bid over the odds for players, but if Tilly and Brush want someone and we can get him at a realistic price then I doubt that Ron Martin has ever let us down.

If we can get a centre-midfielder and Hooper then personally I'd be delighted with the state of our squad going into the season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Aug. 02 2006,20:59)]
[b said:
[b said:

Surprise

Al

I think you'd be surprised whats in our transfer kitty.

We won't bid over the odds for players, but if Tilly and Brush want someone and we can get him at a realistic price then I doubt that Ron Martin has ever let us down.

If we can get a centre-midfielder and Hooper then personally I'd be delighted with the state of our squad going into the season.
How greedy would Agogo, O'Callaghan AND Hooper be?? That would be dreamland!

That would mean six strikers though. As I said in another thread, I don't see the point in having the likes of Lawson & Hooper if we aren't going to give them a chance.

Maybe the delay with Hooper is Tilly and Brush seeing if they can get someone else in first...?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Aug. 02 2006,20:55)]
[b said:
[b said:

Surprise

Al

'Unknown Quantity' is a little harsh as he played over here for a while with Port Vale - winning their Player of the Year award in his first season...
Ok i didnt know that about him playing for Port Vale.

And I really have no idea what our transfer kitty was. And dya know why? Because all our transfers always involve the imfamous "undisclosed fee."

However from the size of some of our bids and the way we have backed away when the asking price has been raised suggests we can only very rarely "push the boat out" . This is why if we really did pay over £200,000 for Clarke I cant c us signing a striker that would command a signifcant fee.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the_saafender @ Aug. 02 2006,21:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Aug. 02 2006,20:55)]
[b said:
[b said:

Surprise

Al

Ok i didnt know that about him playing for Port Vale.

And I really have no idea what our transfer kitty was. And dya know why? Because all our transfers always involve the imfamous "undisclosed fee."

However from the size of some of our bids and the way we have backed away when the asking price has been raised suggests we can only very rarely "push the boat out" . This is why if we really did pay over £200,000 for Clarke I cant c us signing a striker that would command a signifcant fee.
I dunno, as previously discussed, I like the fact that we wont pay over the odds - but we always seem to get the right man.

Whenever I get frustrated with the lack of transfers, I always remind myself that Tilly has not made ONE SINGLE bad transfer yet - not one of his buys has let us down in any way.

People are having digs at Cole - he is young and has potential. If he doesnt fulfil, there is no doubt he isnt giving 100% which is all you can ask.

Bradbury is not everyones favourite - I for one think he is a very good player, ok, not the quickest, but technically excellent and a good option.

They are the only minor question marks for me, but nothing to worry about - every other transfer has proved to be excellent and more importantly, improved the squad at relatively little cost.

I dont blame them for backing off - if Swansea want £600,000 for Robinson, then no chance - why debt ourselves to the b******s for it - no, regroup and lets have a go for O'Callaghan at £150,000 etc.

Like (IIRC) Beefy said, whenever we feel the deal is 100% correct for all involved, Martin normally comes good for Tilly.

Seems like a no-brainer...!

Get George in (after Corks European adventure), then pick up Robinson at Xmas on the cheap.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Aug. 02 2006,21:15)]I dunno, as previously discussed, I like the fact that we wont pay over the odds - but we always seem to get the right man.

Whenever I get frustrated with the lack of transfers, I always remind myself that Tilly has not made ONE SINGLE bad transfer yet - not one of his buys has let us down in any way.

People are having digs at Cole - he is young and has potential. If he doesnt fulfil, there is no doubt he isnt giving 100% which is all you can ask.

Bradbury is not everyones favourite - I for one think he is a very good player, ok, not the quickest, but technically excellent and a good option.

They are the only minor question marks for me, but nothing to worry about - every other transfer has proved to be excellent and more importantly, improved the squad at relatively little cost.

I dont blame them for backing off - if Swansea want £600,000 for Robinson, then no chance - why debt ourselves to the b******s for it - no, regroup and lets have a go for O'Callaghan at £150,000 etc.

Like (IIRC) Beefy said, whenever we feel the deal is 100% correct for all involved, Martin normally comes good for Tilly.
Got to agree with all said here really. I personally rate Mitchell Cole..but (without sounding gay) would have loved him to have returned for pre season built like a brick sh*t house as some more upper body strength would improve his all round game.

And I honestly believe we'd be fine without Robinson. A striker is the priority and it seems Tilson will only really invest when he thinks he really needs to, which of course is great management. He's continually said there's no point making signings for the sake of it. How many managers are guilty of that?

I personally think Cole and Bradbury were both good signings. Cole has potential and played a big part coming on as a sub at the end of last season and Bradbury played well on the right.

Both of them will play a part this season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the_saafender @ Aug. 02 2006,21:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ Aug. 02 2006,21:15)]I dunno, as previously discussed, I like the fact that we wont pay over the odds - but we always seem to get the right man.

Got to agree with all said here really. I personally rate Mitchell Cole..but (without sounding gay) would have loved him to have returned for pre season built like a brick sh*t house as some more upper body strength would improve his all round game.

And I honestly believe we'd be fine without Robinson. A striker is the priority and it seems Tilson will only really invest when he thinks he really needs to, which of course is great management. He's continually said there's no point making signings for the sake of it. How many managers are guilty of that?
I agree, there's no point signing players for the sake of adding bodies to the squad.

However, saying that we are so light on Strikers it frightens the sh!t out of me, we have a game on Saturday for Fecks sake!!!

Wiil it be Bradbury& Eastwood or Lawson & Eastwood?
IMO I think it will be the former.

I hope & pray that Tilly, Brush & Martins good business sense will come through by the weekend & that will we will sign a decent forward.

The ironic thing is had Gray signed a contract he would have probably played ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUBBlue @ Aug. 02 2006,21:37)]The ironic thing is had Gray signed a contract he would have probably played ...
Thank goodness he didn't sign then.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Aug. 02 2006,21:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUBBlue @ Aug. 02 2006,21:37)]The ironic thing is had Gray signed a contract he would have probably played ...
Thank goodness he didn't sign then.
Yes, i agree let's play Bradbury up front this w/end....???  
rock.gif

A far better option.. NOT.

I'm relying on Tilly to come good, we need 2 forwards now!!

Back