• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Getting fit help required..

When I was training and competing, the hardest part was the winter training. which was primarily sprint endurance based.
sprinting up the path opposite the cliffs pavillion or the steps opposiite leigh station were two of the harder sessions although my particular favourite was 54321 . 500M hard followed by 400 Jog then 400M hard with 300 jog, 300 hard 200 jog , 200 hard 100 jog then a final 100M . With the exception of the final Sprint which was flat out the hard runs were done at 95%.
10 minute rest and go again

Training with a heart rate monitor is another good way, Sprint 200M rest until our heart rate is 60-65% of Max (max is based on 220 - age in years) then go again , and again and again................

Not for the first four or five times, but after that I should be able to last up to 6 minutes.

Kind Regards

Then go for it. Suitable shoes wouldn't necessarily be a problem for this, but I'd definitely consider some form of water-based lubricant or, failing that, cooking oil.

Training with a heart rate monitor is another good way, Sprint 200M rest until our heart rate is 60-65% of Max (max is based on 220 - age in years) then go again , and again and again................

As a very loose rule of thumb. ;)

For example using that basis, my "max" should now be 183. My max if I do HIIT is about 196, for a 10mile time-trial I currently average about 192 for the 20+ minutes of effort.

Best way to establish heart rate zones is to either do a bleep test running or a Conconi test on a bike.

As a very loose rule of thumb. ;)

For example using that basis, my "max" should now be 183. My max if I do HIIT is about 196, for a 10mile time-trial I currently average about 192 for the 20+ minutes of effort.

Best way to establish heart rate zones is to either do a bleep test running or a Conconi test on a bike.

or run hard until you vomit and take your heart rate at the moment of chundering. :)

Got the all clear to go swimming today, so headed off to runnymeade.

I only managed 12 straight lengths before puffing like an asthmatic pensioner. Still did 20 lengths total. Just shows how fit i must have been to just jump in and do 60 odd back in day.

Still a mile jog yesterday and 20 lengths today is a base

Got the all clear to go swimming today, so headed off to runnymeade.

I only managed 12 straight lengths before puffing like an asthmatic pensioner. Still did 20 lengths total. Just shows how fit i must have been to just jump in and do 60 odd back in day.

Still a mile jog yesterday and 20 lengths today is a base

Sounds good to me.

I have recently tried to get back after close to 10 years of little activity, struggling like **** at the moment, even having difficulty with motivation.
i think the diet needs to change first, as I am a small build, small frame ,big gut at the moment and at almost 15st when i was no more than 11 1/2 back in the day . the problem is being 52 , the old body complains a lot .

And being back on the fags probably doesn't aid things either......

Last edited:
Sounds good to me.

I have recently tried to get back after close to 10 years of little activity, struggling like **** at the moment, even having difficulty with motivation.
i think the diet needs to change first, as I am a small build, small frame ,big gut at the moment and at almost 15st when i was no more than 11 1/2 back in the day . the problem is being 52 , the old body complains a lot .

Yeah im sure i would have been struggling more if i had not given up the fags last september. But tbf i think thats what made me chuck on loads of weight.

Sounds good to me.

Did you do anymore about getting a bike (or your old faithful reconditioned)?

4 pages on fitness stuff?! Cor blimey! This is a bloomin pub!!

51J3YGQM63L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I started smoking when i was 11 and i only gave up when the ban came in which i think was 3 years ago now or was it 4 ? can't remember.
Anyway joined a gym in Pitsea last Feb and haven't looked back, i was 16 stone when i started and now im 13st10 and much much fitter,when i started last year i couldn't walk for 20 mins on the treadmill let alone run but now age 38 i feel great and the other day i run 10k in 50 mins and at the moment im trying to run 5k in under 20 mins, im down to 22 mins at the moment, you have to keep changing your routine now and again so it doesn't get boring and try to go with someone too as you can egg each other on.
Don't know if your near Pitsea but they have a gym express which is only £17 per month which is cheap as chips and they are expanding the gym all the time.
What i will say is don't over do it at 1st, it will get easier day by day and don't go more than 4 times a week, i go 4 times a week (every other day which is enough)
Good luck and keep it up you will feel alot fitter in no time.

Did you do anymore about getting a bike (or your old faithful reconditioned)?

Not yet, to either .

Had a look at bikes, anything half decent on Ebay goes for shed loads and new is just too much money to spend on something which I may not really be able to justify.

As for the old peugeot, haven't got round to unearthing it from the back of the shed yet !

I started smoking when i was 11 and i only gave up when the ban came in which i think was 3 years ago now or was it 4 ? can't remember.
Anyway joined a gym in Pitsea last Feb and haven't looked back, i was 16 stone when i started and now im 13st10 and much much fitter,when i started last year i couldn't walk for 20 mins on the treadmill let alone run but now age 38 i feel great and the other day i run 10k in 50 mins and at the moment im trying to run 5k in under 20 mins, im down to 22 mins at the moment, you have to keep changing your routine now and again so it doesn't get boring and try to go with someone too as you can egg each other on.
Don't know if your near Pitsea but they have a gym express which is only £17 per month which is cheap as chips and they are expanding the gym all the time.
What i will say is don't over do it at 1st, it will get easier day by day and don't go more than 4 times a week, i go 4 times a week (every other day which is enough)
Good luck and keep it up you will feel alot fitter in no time.

top work mate:clap:

The other benefit is not just looking better and being fitter, but also feeling better. I've shifted a stone in 6 months, and feel less tired, have better concentration and get less narky.

13st is my goal, only got another 25lbs to go...problem is the fitter I get the more muscle I put on!
yep a while ago I was going into Boots to measure my body fat percentage, which was going in the right direction. my gym doesn't have the machine:thump:

Back