• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Getting fit help required..

Get in contact with these guys, Essex Boot Camp . The training sessions are pretty full on - I was physically ill after my first session but not only will you lose weight but gain some serious muscle endurance. Can't recommend them highly enough, much better than joining a gym.

I run along Belton Way in Leigh on a sunday morning, and have observed the Bootcamp brigade working out in that area. They seem to meet around 9.45 a.m. so if your local to leigh, then give it a go. There are usually 8-10 in the group of both sexes, and the ladies looked pretty good in their lycra!.

I took up martial arts and the warm ups before the lessons was enough to lose a few pounds. Other exercises you can try is to walk along the beach not the pavement or if you are careful to walk out along the mud at low tide (East Beach is best for this).
Also be careful what and when you eat as eating after 7pm is not healthy

Another great tip remembered just this morning, exercise first thing. You'll burn more calories this way, you'll kickstart metabolism and you will feel better throughout the day despite the early start.

Hinging on what Jassy says about what/when you eat... No carbs after 4pm.

I wouldn't worry about your weight until the only clothes that fit are West Ham replica shirts and leisurewear which are only available in generous sizes.

PBoreham and Firestorm are right. You need to change your diet first. If you were to eat a Snickers bar you would literally have to run virtually a marathon to run it off - sad but true. I have followed the weight watchers plan with my wife and it seems to work well. You need to supplement it with exercise that you enjoy - I hate gyms because I feel like a hamster on a wheel but I love canoeing so I do that at Chelmsford. And, although it's an obvious point to make, don't snack if you're not hungry.

PBoreham and Firestorm are right. You need to change your diet first. If you were to eat a Snickers bar you would literally have to run virtually a marathon to run it off - sad but true. I have followed the weight watchers plan with my wife and it seems to work well. You need to supplement it with exercise that you enjoy - I hate gyms because I feel like a hamster on a wheel but I love canoeing so I do that at Chelmsford. And, although it's an obvious point to make, don't snack if you're not hungry.
This is very true. It is all about diet - if your only intention is losing weight. Fitness is a different matter entirely.

I'd suggest looking at where you can make small changes - such as skinny latte rather than full fat, or why not black coffee? Go for a "light" sandwich (say 260 calories + low fat) rather than a cheese ploughmans (600 calories). Do you need dressing on salad? It's all the little things that really stack up.

To lose weight safely, you should only have a maximum calorie deficit of 500 below your BMR (basal metabolic rate) - for most blokes your target after deducting the 500 should be between say 1800 - 2300 calories a day, spread throughout the day. Anything far below that is unsustainable (I managed 1200 calories a day for about a fortnight, and felt quite ill afterwards). This should prevent you from feeling too hungry, and will lose 1lb a week.

Also look at the makeup of your calories - make sure that the percentage of carbs, fat and protein is appropriate - most people tend to scrimp on protein, especially vegetarians. Whey protein shakes can help supplement these.

I took up martial arts and the warm ups before the lessons was enough to lose a few pounds. Other exercises you can try is to walk along the beach not the pavement or if you are careful to walk out along the mud at low tide (East Beach is best for this).
Also be careful what and when you eat as eating after 7pm is not healthy

Also make sure you aren't exposed to sunlight or put in water.

TBH the weight is not a huge issue. My optimimum weight is 13.5 stone and i weighed in at 14.10 yesterday. So if i curb the fatty eating and beers and continue to excersie atleast 3-4 times a week and dont see any reason why i cant hit that.

The big thing in all of this is that i get a decent level of fitness and have more energy as i feel knackered some days after walking round the shopes with the mrs.

Back