• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How come they were on so early? Supporting who?

Pixies on Friday for me and Connan Mockasin at Barbican on Saturday (I'll see all of it now Barnsley has been derailed for me) and then again at Rough Trade on Monday.
She did 2 shows in 1 night. Same thing as last year's gigs at the Tin Tabernacle - the promoter announced the show, it sold out quickly, so they added an earlier performance. Suits me down to the ground - I finish work at 15:30 so had time for a couple of pints with a friend in Stoke Newington, quick walk to the venue, got a nice seat with 15 minutes to go 'til showtime, no crap support bands, just a sublime 1hr 15 minute set from Grouper and home before 10 - perfect. I blagged guest list too, which made it even more enjoyable.

Saw the Manfreds + Georgie Fame at the Cliffs on Saturday.Excellent gig.Clearly nostalgia is (sometimes) what it used to be. :Winking:

Off to see them in Bournemouth on 10 Nov - Jones is really a top artist and maybe the best mouth organ player there is (saw him twice in Ipswich last year, once with MM and once with the Blues Band).

Georgie Fame any good? Only time I've seen him (at Ronnie Scotts) he was really downbeat.

Anyone seen the DMA's? An Aussie band who are a bit of a cross breed between Oasis and The Cure.

Off to see them in Portsmouth in Dec. Only £15 but gig I think is sold out and they've got a loyal following but seemingly not that well known. They should be though - the first listen to each of their two albums and I was hooked.

On a bit of a concert booking fest I've also lined up Howard Jones at The Cliffs in May - a 35th anniversary of his Humans Lib album .... where did that time go? Always loved the album, which is always best played loud, wonder what kind of performance he will give. Anyone seen him before?

Off to see them in Bournemouth on 10 Nov - Jones is really a top artist and maybe the best mouth organ player there is (saw him twice in Ipswich last year, once with MM and once with the Blues Band).

Georgie Fame any good? Only time I've seen him (at Ronnie Scotts) he was really downbeat.

Yeah.I've seen him loads of times backing Van Morrison and a couple of times fronting his own jazz band. He was cute enough at the Cliffs to play stuff which he knew would appeal to a largely pop/R & B audience.

Last edited:
Anyone seen the DMA's? An Aussie band who are a bit of a cross breed between Oasis and The Cure.

Off to see them in Portsmouth in Dec. Only £15 but gig I think is sold out and they've got a loyal following but seemingly not that well known. They should be though - the first listen to each of their two albums and I was hooked.

Seen them 3 or 4 times now. Great band. Toms voice is as good live as it is on the album. Not too sure how much you know about them but they're actually a 3 piece that have 3 touring members join them for their live stuff. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks Farmdog, really looking forward to this. Just can't work out why they are not more popular, was only a chance we came across them when my eldest son was listening to a play list called 'if you like Oasis you'll like this'. He then played me their first album on the way to Roots and I was hooked straight away.

Beastie Boys Live and Direct Tour, & also got a ticket for the Book Signing and meet and greet event with Adam Horovitz and Mike D

Just such a shame MCA (Adam Yauch) passed away...

Beastie Boys Live and Direct Tour, & also got a ticket for the Book Signing and meet and greet event with Adam Horovitz and Mike D

Just such a shame MCA (Adam Yauch) passed away...

Saw the BB at Brixton (IIRC) probably around the end of last century :Stunned:...they were over 45 mins late and it didn't go down well! Not a pleasant gig.

Saw the BB at Brixton (IIRC) probably around the end of last century :Stunned:...they were over 45 mins late and it didn't go down well! Not a pleasant gig.
End of the last century, god that makes me feel old !!

... saw them twice at BA, 1988 and early 90’s. Think they played there several times.

Both times I was well smashed

Love the Beasties

End of the last century, god that makes me feel old !!

... saw them twice at BA, 1988 and early 90’s. Think they played there several times.

Both times I was well smashed

Love the Beasties
I saw BB at a joint headline with Rollins Band at Town & Country club in 1992, was the first tour where they played instruments and they didn't look very natural with it. I think that period is viewed more positively in later years than at the time.

Saw Mudhoney last night in Camden, who were excellent. one of the loudest gigs I have ever attended, complete with people 'my age' crowd surfing. Having been mildly disappointed with seeing some of the other bands of my youth, these guys completely delivered.

Hawklords, Foundry in Sheffield.

Formed by four ex-members of Hawkwind, the Hawklords play a mixture of the late great Robert Calvert penned songs and their own material.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of Calvert's untimely death in 1988 at just 43, and the 40th of the release of the original band's album 25 Years On.

For this tour, the band were joined on stage by original Hawkwind member, Nik Turner. At 78 he is a bit unsteady on his feet and he plays sitting down when not singing, but you have to admire that he still gets on stage for a near two hour set. Also, he still tours with his own band Space Ritual with various other ex members of Hawkwind.

The Hawkwind/Calvert material is definitely better than their own stuff, but Jerry Richards is a pretty decent guitarist and they always play with plenty of gusto, so it was well worth the trip to Sheffield to see them.

And of course with Nik Turner on stage, they had to play Master of the Universe as the encore.

For more photos, click here

hl01.jpghl02.jpghl04.jpghl05.jpg

Attachments

• hl04.jpg
    hl04.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 1
  • hl06.jpg
    hl06.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
In the last few weeks have seen
Peter hook and the light- electric ballroom Camden (playing new order and joy division). - very good ( better at joy division than NO)
New order (ally pally)- seen them 5 times, this was possibly the best - my favourite band
Culture club- Wembley- god help me , the wife twisted my arm. He can’t sing at all but it was ok. ( after I had bought tickets the prodigy announced a gig at ally pally same day- I wasn’t happy, the miss’s and boy George won)
Midge ure and electronics- cliffs-playing mainly ultravox- his voice is brilliant, it’s not the same as watching ultravox but they were brilliant. They were only support, would love to see a full set
Human league-cliffs, second year running seeing them at the cliffs - great show- highly recommended even if you aren’t massively into them.

Just booked tickets to see the Sleaford Mods at Chinnerys in April. Cant wait going to be excellent in a small venue!

Back