• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Joy division orchestrated at the London palladium.
Peter hook and the light, Manchester Camerata orchestra and three guest singers ( over 50 musicians)
Absolutely brilliant. Some songs an instrument took Ian curtis’s vocals, some hooky and some the guest singers of which two were women which obviously gave a very different feel to the music. The guy was unbelievable, paid homage to Ian but still did his own thing
Some songs slowed right down, some the same j speed.
Very moving

Just seen Wishbone Ash in Kendal. Great to hear Argus in its entirety, 50 years since its first release.
Great Album, and I saw them 3 times back in the 80s. I saw them again last up on the second stage at Minehead a few years back. They were on about 20 minutes late going on stage, they moaned about the sound and I thought they were just going through the motions. Perhaps I just caught them on a bad night.

Glad you enjoyed the gig WS!

The Damned at the O2 Apollo Manchester.

I made a snap decision to see The Damned a week before the gig. The draw of seeing the original line up for the first time ever was just too strong. The first time I saw the doomed lads was back in July 1981, on their fifth anniversary tour at the Lyceum. Brian James had left after the release of the second album and Algy Ward had joined on bass, with the Captain switching to lead guitar.

The Damned had three support acts, but the only one I was interested in seeing was T.V. Smith and the Bored Teenagers. T.V. Smith was the singer/songwriter for one my favourite punk bands, The Adverts. I'd seen him play a solo gig a few years back with a 20 minute slot opening the bill for New Model Army. This time he had a band and 30 minutes of playing time. Sadly, I got to venue after he'd started but I did catch the last 15 to 20 minutes or so of the set which included their most famous song, Gary Gilmore's Eyes.

The tour was billed as the last one with original line up, and after The Damned took the stage it was easy to see why. Whist Sensible, Vanian and Scabies remain fit in their mid sixties, sadly, James had to be helped onto the stage and stood almost stock still throughout the gig apart from playing his guitar. The set list comprised of songs from the two albums James played on, plus some covers, so the highlight was of course New Rose.

I enjoyed the gig as the Damned played songs I'd not heard live before, and as they finished on a cover of the Stones The last Time, Scabies set fire to his drum kit, and Sensible smashed up his bass.

Neat Neat Neat

TD01.jpg

T.V. Smith

TD03.jpg

The Damned

TD04.jpg

Captain Sensible on Bass

TD06.jpg

Brian James on Guitar

TD07.jpg

Dave Vanian on Vocals

TD14.jpg

Rat Scabies on Lighter Fuel

Last edited:
Joy division orchestrated at the London palladium.
Peter hook and the light, Manchester Camerata orchestra and three guest singers ( over 50 musicians)
Absolutely brilliant. Some songs an instrument took Ian curtis’s vocals, some hooky and some the guest singers of which two were women which obviously gave a very different feel to the music. The guy was unbelievable, paid homage to Ian but still did his own thing
Some songs slowed right down, some the same j speed.
Very moving

Would have liked to have seen that. Peter Hook and the Light got me back into going to gigs after a long self-imposed hiatus. I saw him at the rather grubby and very smelly Cockpit club in Leeds. It used to be a train/locomotive repair shed (I believe) under Leeds Station and it stank of engine oil. They did Unknown pleasures and 3 encores, or was it 4?

Saw Chucho Valdes & Paqito D'Rivera's sextet last night at Barna's Palau de La Musica.Probably as good as Cuban jazz gets.
Last time I saw these 2 guys together was 40 years ago In Irakare at Ronnie Scott's.That concert was memorable as pretty much everyone in the house (including reprobates at the bar like me) joined the band in a conga outside to Frith Street.

Last edited:
I saw Songdog play at the St. Pancras Old Church last Friday (the 11th). First time I've seen them and I was very impressed. They played tracks mostly from their last album, 'A Happy Ending', and Lyndon Morgans' (their lead singer and songwriter) debut solo album 'Of Gods And Men.'

Westcliff-based singer-songwriter Phil Burdett performed a fine set in their support too.

And it was the first time I've drunk beer in a church. Canned Stella but hey ...

Last edited:
The Damned at the O2 Apollo Manchester.

I made a snap decision to see The Damned a week before the gig. The draw of seeing the original line up for the first time ever was just too strong. The first time I saw the doomed lads was back in July 1981, on their fifth anniversary tour at the Lyceum. Brian James had left after the release of the second album and Algy Ward had joined on bass, with the Captain switching to lead guitar.

The Damned had three support acts, but the only one I was interested in seeing was T.V. Smith and the Bored Teenagers. T.V. Smith was the singer/songwriter for one my favourite punk bands, The Adverts. I'd seen him play a solo gig a few years back with a 20 minute slot opening the bill for New Model Army. This time he had a band and 30 minutes of playing time. Sadly, I got to venue after he'd started but I did catch the last 15 to 20 minutes or so of the set which included their most famous song, Gary Gilmore's Eyes.

The tour was billed as the last one with original line up, and after The Damned took the stage it was easy to see why. Whist Sensible, Vanian and Scabies remain fit in their mid sixties, sadly, James had to be helped onto the stage and stood almost stock still throughout the gig apart from playing his guitar. The set list comprised of songs from the two albums James played on, plus some covers, so the highlight was of course New Rose.

I enjoyed the gig as the Damned played songs I'd not heard live before, and as they finished on a cover of the Stones The last Time, Scabies set fire to his drum kit, and Sensible smashed up his bass.

Neat Neat Neat

View attachment 23152

T.V. Smith

View attachment 23153

The Damned

View attachment 23154

Captain Sensible on Bass

View attachment 23155

Brian James on Guitar

View attachment 23156

Dave Vanian on Vocals

View attachment 23157

Rat Scabies on Lighter Fuel

I'm looking forward to seeing TVS play here in PZ next month.

Back