• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Saw Ultramagnetic MCs at The Forge in Camden last night. From a poor start (only TR Love on stage with DJ 2 Tuff), and a weird middle bit where Kool Keith came on stage but stood to the side not doing anything, they finally redeemed themselves with a solid last 30 minutes. But no Ced Gee, no Moe Love, and they rapped over their vocal tracks rather than instrumentals, so it wasn't great and certainly not as good as I'd hoped.

Saw Ultramagnetic MCs at The Forge in Camden last night. From a poor start (only TR Love on stage with DJ 2 Tuff), and a weird middle bit where Kool Keith came on stage but stood to the side not doing anything, they finally redeemed themselves with a solid last 30 minutes. But no Ced Gee, no Moe Love, and they rapped over their vocal tracks rather than instrumentals, so it wasn't great and certainly not as good as I'd hoped.

I mean I'm not totally surprised. I think Kool Keith or whatever he calls himself now is over rated.

I mean I'm not totally surprised. I think Kool Keith or whatever he calls himself now is over rated.
Yeah, you never really know what you're going to get when you buy tickets for hip-hop 'legends', so I knew very well that disappointment could be on the cards! Kool Keith has still got it, and he's still a real presence. It was frustrating really as Trev was great, and if they'd made a bit more effort (and all turned up) it could have been fantastic.

I went to see Jeru last month and he was great - a much more likeable personality and he created a much better vibe, but he didn't do more than about 45 seconds of any one song before stopping and just chatting for 5 minutes. Got tickets for Rakim in May - hoping for better things.

Yeah, you never really know what you're going to get when you buy tickets for hip-hop 'legends', so I knew very well that disappointment could be on the cards! Kool Keith has still got it, and he's still a real presence. It was frustrating really as Trev was great, and if they'd made a bit more effort (and all turned up) it could have been fantastic.

I went to see Jeru last month and he was great - a much more likeable personality and he created a much better vibe, but he didn't do more than about 45 seconds of any one song before stopping and just chatting for 5 minutes. Got tickets for Rakim in May - hoping for better things.

Rakim should be good to be fair.

Me and a pal of mine are heading up for the Rakim gig, the ‘god MC’ himself. He won’t let us down

Thinking of making a day of it and heading for the Jazz Cafe for lunch, which I think is walkable from the O2 Forum?

Really enjoyed the Brand New Heavies last night, at a packed Barbican Centre. My entourage were also impressed with the venue, though one did point out that there were no security checks whatsoever.
I saw Yes at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester in 2022 and no one checked my ticket at any point, or stamped my hand when I went out for a fag.

I saw Yes at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester in 2022 and no one checked my ticket at any point, or stamped my hand when I went out for a fag.
Which reminds me I got in to see the Stranglers at the Roundhouse circa 1978 on a Sun. with an unchecked Sat .night ticket cortesy of one of the guys in our Sunday morning football team.Hayden the head bouncer at the Roundhouse who also played for our team was most annoyed when I told him about it the week afterwards.

Seen this mate? Nightmare

1711659334512.png

Just seen my daughter again - check out The Haze Band on Instagram.

Attachments

• 3FE3B92D-0015-4DD5-983C-890AFAF86F39.jpeg
    3FE3B92D-0015-4DD5-983C-890AFAF86F39.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 4
Hawkwind, Academy Manchester.

Yesterday as I drove to the gig I was wondering if this would be my last Hawkwind concert as leader Dave Brock is now 82 and not in good health. Well it seems I was right, I have probably been to my final Hawkwind gig as two thirds of the way through the show it was announced that this was their farewell tour. But as we know from other bands, farewell doesn't always mean final. We shall have to see.

If it is their last tour, it will be a shame as Brock has assembled a first class band to back him. Chadwick is still pounding the skins but they now have keyboard player again, so the guitarist and bassist didn't have to double up on synths as they did the last time I saw them a few years ago.

Hawkwind have rich and varied back catalogue so it was nice to hear PSI Power from their Hawklords days and material from the recent past and upcoming album. Previously, Hawkwind tended to rely in a pretty static set list.

The lighting was fantastic with a full laser show, so I would hope some of the oldies got their cataracts sorted! And the sound was as good as I have heard at this type of venue.

The Academy has a capacity of 2600, it wasn't a sell out but it can't have been that far short so it shows the band still has a strong following. What always surprises me at many gigs is the amount of young people that turn up to them. And I am talking 20s, not just 30s and 40s. Some music is timeless and I think Hawkwind fall into that category. They may not have sold that many records in comparison to others but they did have many creative peaks.

If this is the end of Hawkwind, so be it. I am so glad I decided to go to the gig.

I remember the first time I heard Hawkwind other than the single Silver Machine in 1980 I think. After a session at the Bread and Cheese pub we went down to Hadleigh Castle and jumped the fence. One of my friends had a cassette player and in the dark we listened to the Hawkwind compilation Masters of the Universe and I was immediately hooked.

Who would have thought they would still be gigging 44 years later!

Hawkwind, Academy Manchester.

Yesterday as I drove to the gig I was wondering if this would be my last Hawkwind concert as leader Dave Brock is now 82 and not in good health. Well it seems I was right, I have probably been to my final Hawkwind gig as two thirds of the way through the show it was announced that this was their farewell tour. But as we know from other bands, farewell doesn't always mean final. We shall have to see.

If it is their last tour, it will be a shame as Brock has assembled a first class band to back him. Chadwick is still pounding the skins but they now have keyboard player again, so the guitarist and bassist didn't have to double up on synths as they did the last time I saw them a few years ago.

Hawkwind have rich and varied back catalogue so it was nice to hear PSI Power from their Hawklords days and material from the recent past and upcoming album. Previously, Hawkwind tended to rely in a pretty static set list.

The lighting was fantastic with a full laser show, so I would hope some of the oldies got their cataracts sorted! And the sound was as good as I have heard at this type of venue.

The Academy has a capacity of 2600, it wasn't a sell out but it can't have been that far short so it shows the band still has a strong following. What always surprises me at many gigs is the amount of young people that turn up to them. And I am talking 20s, not just 30s and 40s. Some music is timeless and I think Hawkwind fall into that category. They may not have sold that many records in comparison to others but they did have many creative peaks.

If this is the end of Hawkwind, so be it. I am so glad I decided to go to the gig.

I remember the first time I heard Hawkwind other than the single Silver Machine in 1980 I think. After a session at the Bread and Cheese pub we went down to Hadleigh Castle and jumped the fence. One of my friends had a cassette player and in the dark we listened to the Hawkwind compilation Masters of the Universe and I was immediately hooked.

Who would have thought they would still be gigging 44 years later!
Off the top of my head Hawkind and Silver Machine were in the charts at the same time as Terry Dactyl , Sea Side Shuffle ,, Automatic Sunshine The Supremes , Alice Cooper , Schools Out , Lynsey De Paul , Sugar Me and Slade , Take Me Back Home . Great times

Went to see Slash last night at Wembley arena, excellent show. Finally got to see one of my favourite guitarists. Prefer him with Myles Kennedy than Axel Rose.

Back