• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Am i imagining it, or was Wreckless Eric the support on Wliko's last tour that didn't go ahead for obvious reasons?
Yes.

"I was booked to open for him at two shows in March 2023. I was looking forward to it immensely. I hadn’t seen him in a long time - I’m an expert at losing touch. I somehow assume people I know will be around forever, but this is clearly not so. I’m going to miss Wilko - the world just lost a true original."

https://thedysfunctionalworldof.blogspot.com/2022/11/wilko-johnson.html

Last edited:
Roger Waters at the London Palladium

On Monday I went to the London Palladium to see Roger Waters' Dark Side of the Moon Redux show.

This was a closed photo show which meant that any device capable of taking a picture had to be put in a pouch which was sealed and could only be unlocked when leaving.

Waters walked onto the stage alone wearing a bright pink jacket, possibly to finally answer the question the Floyd claim they were asked many times. By the way, which one's Pink?

Waters chatted to the audience for what seemed like an eternity, I can't tell you exactly how long as my phone was locked away! He even read a story about a duckling from his unpublished memoir. Apparently, after a slating from the Telegraph in their review of the first night, he cut out three other stories, and all I could think was stop talking and start singing.

Eventually, the band walked on, and apart from the Double Bass players, they all sat down leaving Waters out front and centre, and without doubt, the star of this show. They performed 'The Bar' with Waters needing a crib sheet for his vocals, and he also left his microphone on his table when he should have been singing!

They then performed 'Mother' from The Wall before departing the stage to be replaced by a 20 minute film of the making of the Redux album. I decided I had heard enough of Waters talking so I headed for the bar and a fag.

Finally, after the interval, we were ready to listen to this new interpretation of Pink Floyd's iconic album. Essentially, what Waters has done is to remove Dave Gilmour's musical contribution to the original record, replacing most of his guitar parts with strings and keyboards. In addition, during the instrumental sections he used the spoken word to convey some sort of message. I think it was mostly about about greed, corruption and the fight between good and evil, but I would happy to be corrected.

I am glad I went to the gig as I would have kicked myself not knowing what it was like. But I think it was telling that side 2 seemed to be appreciated more by the audience as it was closer to the original then side 1. It is a tricky one as it is essentially Waters own work he is rearranging but he has made it a much darker piece of music.

What really annoyed me though was his talking to the audience and the film shown at the start of the gig. We could have had another 45 minutes of music without that and that would have sent me away very happy indeed.

Oh and Nick Mason was there, but unsurprisingly not Dave Gilmour!

Saw Alexander O’Neil farewell toir at lavenham church ( near Sudbury Suffolk).

He is 69 but looked older and not in good health in my opinion.
Voice was still his- very distinctive but has totally gone. Every line started ok but then faded or didn’t complete.

BUT
The band was great, support was great. The audience loved it and we stood and sang to most songs.

10/10 for fun and nostalgia
2/10 on any other basis—— but who cares- don’t CRITICISE 😀

Saw Alexander O’Neil farewell toir at lavenham church ( near Sudbury Suffolk).

He is 69 but looked older and not in good health in my opinion.
Voice was still his- very distinctive but has totally gone. Every line started ok but then faded or didn’t complete.

BUT
The band was great, support was great. The audience loved it and we stood and sang to most songs.

10/10 for fun and nostalgia
2/10 on any other basis—— but who cares- don’t CRITICISE 😀

Sure it was the real one or a fake

Seem to be going quite regularly lately. Recently saw (and enjoyed) Say She She (Shoreditch) and Young Fathers (Hammersmith), very much looking forward to the Brand New Heavies at the Barbican in a week or two, followed by a young Argentinian duo - Pacifica - at the Old Blue Last (who the boy introduced me to).

Saw Level 42 at the Cliffs on Monday. Really enjoyed it, but if they'd done a bit less jazz funk jamming then their decent 1 hour 45 set would have been a more enjoyable and concise 1 hr 20, which I think is plenty long enough.

Also saw Grouper at St John's in Hackney on Saturday, which was utterly sublime as always (my 5th time seeing her live).

Saw Level 42 at the Cliffs on Monday. Really enjoyed it, but if they'd done a bit less jazz funk jamming then their decent 1 hour 45 set would have been a more enjoyable and concise 1 hr 20, which I think is plenty long enough.

Also saw Grouper at St John's in Hackney on Saturday, which was utterly sublime as always (my 5th time seeing her live).
Saw Level 42 in their early days at Oxford Polytechnic (my mate was working that way). Met a girl there and walked her home, across a park. She told me that we were walking across the track that Roger Bannister broke the 4-minute mile on. I told her I would break four minutes back at hers. I was true to my word.

Saw Ron Carter's quartet Foresight last night at Parralel 62 /used to b e Barts ,closed during covid ,re-opened in Jan).3rd time I've seen RC .I do like a bit of Jimmy jazz. :Winking: (For those who don't know him RC is an excellent bass player)

Back