• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thats not accounting for the opposition coming out and being desperate to get back in the game.

Gillingham were a different team second half and if we had been ruthless we could have conceded far earlier.

BBC stats gave them 58% possession to our 42%, and total of shots on/off target equal for both sides. Also, we did not have one solitary corner!.

I don't agree with that. We came out and sat back thinking the job was done. Too many times second half Dickinson was the only player in their half. If you go in 2-0 up at HT and come out to sit on it and try not to concede, sod's law states that concede you will do. Just kill it off, all we needed was one more.

First half though, I thought we were superb.

Or did we sit back because we had to because the Gills starting playing better.

And why not sit on a 2 goal lead ? Push players up to score and you could concede even easier. Most people would consider a 2 goal lead as killed the game off anyway. Do you really need to score 3 every game to be safe !??

If its easier just to go our and score another we would win by 7 goals.

Or did we sit back because we had to because the Gills starting playing better.

If its easier just to go our and score another we would win by 7 goals.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Two things made us exceptional in the first half. Firstly, we went forward and moved the ball with intent and in numbers. Secondly, we pressed them hard and energetically and severely restricted their space. We kept up the pressing in the second half but stopped the incisive attacking. We combined the two qualities well in the first half so there was no reason why we couldn't in the second half.

Sturrock said himself in his interview that we 'almost shot ourselves in the foot in the second half by dropping gears and dropping 10 or 15 yards deeper and allowed them back into it'. He saw it and I did too.

They're not a great side - don't allow them to play and they're unlikely to do so!

I thought Sturrock got the balance just about right. People need to remember that our players worked far harder than Gills, especially in the first half, and so we were slightly leggy for the last 20 mins and Hall wasn't particularly effective as a sub. It took a stunning goal for them to get back into it.

To be fair to Sturrock, against both Plymouth and tonight the opposition haven't looked like scoring for 40 minutes of the second half. It's the last 5 that's a problem!

Good overall performance. Just shows how we missed Phillips, also thought Prosser had a very good game!!

I don't agree with that. They were a 'different team' because we let them be. We came out and sat back thinking the job was done, and Gillingham got confident 5 minutes after the restart because tey could see we were sitting back and they smelt blood. Too many times second half Dickinson was the only player in their half. If you go in 2-0 up at HT and come out to sit on it and try not to concede, sod's law states that concede you will do. Just kill it off, all we needed was one more.

First half though, I thought we were superb.

Agree with this...absolutely wrapped with the three points.

Plenty still to work on, which Sturrock will I am sure will confirm to them. Surprised that subs were so late...thought Sampson would have been on earlier for fresh legs and better ability to hold the ball up and take pressure of. Hall was a bit disappointing, should have done better with the ball and held on to it or looked for a pass. Thought Kane run himself into the ground tonight, good mileage from him and was higher up the pitch and not giving them a minutes respite.

Got to have the first 45 minutes displays more often and hold it for 90 minutes.

Well done lads. Everyone worked bloody hard and showed more desire.Agree with Sturrock dropped abit deep,which was expected, as i remarked Philips and Prosser not playing since xmas, were blowing out of their a--see,, hence dropping
deeper and deeper. That work rate will take us up.
Great Result

Back