• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

GNVQs and BTECs and other qualifications that aren't GCSEs/A-levels/Degrees

Thanks. Do you think at University that your BTEC put you ahead of those who'd studied A-levels?

Whilst I agree you can generally tell from a CV and an interview, I need to establish who to interview. The CVs seem to all be from recruitment companies, so are bland beyond belief. Fortunately, the majority seem to be riddled with spelling mistakes despite the job criteria specifying the need for attention to detail, so it shouldn't be hard to cull. Bad luck if you're signed up with an illiterate recruitment consultant.

In my opinion, yes. There were a number of people that attended the same Uni as me that had to take a years Foundation Art and Design course to be able to take the full 3 year Graphic Communication Degree, despite having done A-levels, some of which included Art and/or Graphics. The foundation was just a way for the Uni to be able to get the other students up to scratch so not to hold the others back.

As far as CV's go, we had a side project with one topic that included designing our CV's ready to be sent out to companies/studios/ agencies and it was a massive help They were massacred in many cases and it wasn't a case of that will do, but had to be checked for everything! God forbid if their was a spelling mistake in there though (which there probably is in here), that was worse than it being designed poorly! The job I am in now I got because of my CV. When I spoke to my now boss, he said he didn't even look at the contents of the CV before deciding to give me an interview, simply because of it's design. I guess it's a little trickier when you are working in your field and looking for an Administrator, but even so some of the CV's I see contain so much information crammed onto two pages with 8 previous job references and the like, it is no wonder some peoples CV's just get chucked straight in the bin.

@YB . Well as much as possible really . Yes you asked a question i replied you faulted it on your perceived worth , i responded your point ? It's a forum its a protocol here im sure your familiar with it by now .

Ok your declaring logic as defence yet you state that some jobs never involve human interaction , ever ?Don;t you need front office or customer interaction ? Now I know many a person with learning difficulties with autism etc who are brilliant once their passed the artificial pressure of teh interview (they over worry and compensate for failures or stresses that arnt there ) this makes them look bad . In a as Firestorm said more equal environment you get to see what they are really like (there are also trial week work periods as well ask your local Job centre )
Oddly you responded to my idea's but in the same sentence say i failed to covey the point . I think your missing the points here and the issue is yours not mine. If you use that methodology or analogies to employ people no wonder you came into a public forum to ask advice on discerning methods to understand basic psychological techniques.

People say you should need a licence to become a parent , maybe we need one or even qualifications to run a small buisness seems anyone can do it.

I did not ask advice on discerning methods to understand psychological techniques. I asked about the value of certain qualifications:unsure: No wonder we seem to be speaking at entirely cross purposes.

I did not ask advice on discerning methods to understand psychological techniques. I asked about the value of certain qualifications:unsure: No wonder we seem to be speaking at entirely cross purposes.

Yes but my comment was on your knowing the difference between a student who learns and an employee who simply exists:winking: in their role . The qualifications do not reflect this nor how well a person will perform in the role nor even at the interview :P:YB::peace:

One tip for you YB. Get all the CVs in a pile. Divide pile in to two. Throw half of them in the bin. You don't want to be working with someone who's unlucky do you.

In my opinion, yes. There were a number of people that attended the same Uni as me that had to take a years Foundation Art and Design course to be able to take the full 3 year Graphic Communication Degree, despite having done A-levels, some of which included Art and/or Graphics. The foundation was just a way for the Uni to be able to get the other students up to scratch so not to hold the others back.

As far as CV's go, we had a side project with one topic that included designing our CV's ready to be sent out to companies/studios/ agencies and it was a massive help They were massacred in many cases and it wasn't a case of that will do, but had to be checked for everything! God forbid if their was a spelling mistake in there though (which there probably is in here), that was worse than it being designed poorly! The job I am in now I got because of my CV. When I spoke to my now boss, he said he didn't even look at the contents of the CV before deciding to give me an interview, simply because of it's design. I guess it's a little trickier when you are working in your field and looking for an Administrator, but even so some of the CV's I see contain so much information crammed onto two pages with 8 previous job references and the like, it is no wonder some peoples CV's just get chucked straight in the bin.

So people with Dyslexia were given help with their spelling and not ridiculed for making minor mistakes ;) ?

On a point for employers it makes sense to go with the stand out ones as creativity or understanding to make yourself noticeable , make their long and dull job of profiling and collating much easier .

Back