• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Being fair

Fergie had the luxury of top defenders and even better forwards who scored for fun !

The best form of defence is to attack IMO.

Please allow people to disagree with you ..... !

We hear your opinion on everything and if someone listened to you, though wouldnt know if you was a top class international manager, a top and well respected chairman, or from another thread the most highly sought after football ground constructor in world football.

It does not matter what quality of players he had, we are talking about a person principals and footballing ethos and if you asked any Liverpool fan, last season I bet they wish BR had the same principals, because if they conceeded just a few less, they would have been champions !

I do hope that if Brown does go at anytime, we can put your name forward, being the oracle of football that you are, I am sure we would win each game by scoring 3 or more goals .... I cant wait

We hear your opinion on everything and if someone listened to you, though wouldnt know if you was a top class international manager, a top and well respected chairman, or from another thread the most highly sought after football ground constructor in world football.

It does not matter what quality of players he had, we are talking about a person principals and footballing ethos and if you asked any Liverpool fan, last season I bet they wish BR had the same principals, because if they conceeded just a few less, they would have been champions !

I do hope that if Brown does go at anytime, we can put your name forward, being the oracle of football that you are, I am sure we would win each game by scoring 3 or more goals .... I cant wait

It's only my opinion so little need to be sarcastic!

Did you think Saturday was even reasonable fare for the entrance fee ?

We created nil
We never looked like scoringWe could play the finest players in the world but under Phil's system they would look ordinary.

Saturday was the 49th game from Phil's total of 75 we scored one or less..Too defensive IMO.

RUBBISH COMMENT !!

We did actually look like scoring, just sadly we did not take a couple of the chances.

Shaqs header that was saved - that could have been a goal
Hursts shot that was parried by the goal keeper - yep, that could have been a goal
Prossers flick or what ever it was at the end - yep, another day that could have been a goal.

yes the standard of some was below best, but again, that game could on another day had more than the 1 goal that was actually scored.

Saying that, was you there for this game, just I never know sometimes if you can be bothered to support the team.

Oh you forgot I am a expert pilot and an expert in telecom systems:stunned:

Did you think Saturday was even reasonable fare for the entrance fee ?

We created nil
We never looked like scoring

We could play the finest players in the world but under Phil's system they would look ordinary.

Saturday was the 49th game from Phil's total of 75 we scored one or less..Too defensive IMO.

We created a clear header for Coulthirst, he went inches wide, Prosser went inches wide, and we hit the bar.

Apart from that, nothing.

We only had 17 shots apparently, 7 on target comapred to top of the league Bury who won 2-0 and only had 9 chances, 6 on target, or Carlise who had 11 shots and 3 on target and won 3-0. Go figure.

Not scoring goals does not mean we are too defensive. Read my post above .

RUBBISH COMMENT !!

We did actually look like scoring, just sadly we did not take a couple of the chances.

Shaqs header that was saved - that could have been a goal
Hursts shot that was parried by the goal keeper - yep, that could have been a goal
Prossers flick or what ever it was at the end - yep, another day that could have been a goal.

yes the standard of some was below best, but again, that game could on another day had more than the 1 goal that was actually scored.

Saying that, was you there for this game, just I never know sometimes if you can be bothered to support the team.

After 95 minutes we had scored nil..FACT.

We created nil
We never looked like scoring

Apart from the 17 shots we had, including several from inside the penalty area.

We could play the finest players in the world but under Phil's system they would look ordinary.

Absolute bollocks, but seeing as though it can never be proven or unproven .. oh wait didn't Germany and Real Madrid play 4-5-1 and win the World Cup and Champions League this season? Not to mention Chelsea also play 4-5-1 and aren't doing too badly.

I don't care how many we score as long as we score more than the opposition. You've even said this yourself, yet you post this stat constantly when it suits you. Saturday was the 24th time of out 75 that we scored one or more less than the opposition.

So now you are blaming the system, when we are having 10+ shots in nearly every game so far this season.

We created a clear header for Coulthirst, he went inches wide, Prosser went inches wide, and we hit the bar.

Apart from that, nothing.

We only had 17 shots apparently, 7 on target comapred to top of the league Bury who won 2-0 and only had 9 chances, 6 on target, or Carlise who had 11 shots and 3 on target and won 3-0. Go figure.

Not scoring goals does not mean we are too defensive. Read my post above .

Morecambe keeper was in team of the week in one of the daily rags. We all know it doesn't mean much, but he was the busier keeper. We had numerous chances but the goal led a very charmed life. We could easily have scored 4 or 5 so the stats of 7 on target are pretty much correct

I found it hard to believe that our own website indicated over 17 attempts at goal. Previously I have noted over 25 and we still couldnt hit the net. Previously Phil said we need that bit of composure upfront. I dont believe its that difficult to bring in reasonable strikers to this league with a bit of experience. In fact you can read almost on a daily basis on the bbc website just how regularly other sides in our league are bringing them in. Yes top quality may be an issue, but good players are there and possibly more available than we imagine.

I found it hard to believe that our own website indicated over 17 attempts at goal. Previously I have noted over 25 and we still couldnt hit the net. Previously Phil said we need that bit of composure upfront. I dont believe its that difficult to bring in reasonable strikers to this league with a bit of experience. In fact you can read almost on a daily basis on the bbc website just how regularly other sides in our league are bringing them in. Yes top quality may be an issue, but good players are there and possibly more available than we imagine.

Of those 17 chances (per BBC site) how many fell to the out and out striker, ie Weston or later Barnard?

Most are attempted by midfielders or the attacking wide men so replacing the striker isnt going to improve that conversion rate.

Chapperz,

Germany,Real and Chelsea have a wealth of top top players who are managed by top managers !

We have Phil,Barry and Lee so not exactly the same is it.

Chapperz,

Germany,Real and Chelsea have a wealth of top top players who are managed by top managers !

We have Phil,Barry and Lee so not exactly the same is it.

Yet you want to switch to 532 a formation Man Utd struggled with.

If a team plays the now popular 4-5-1 system then obviously you need goals from the midfield players. Ideally you would also like to get your centre backs to score from corners and free kicks. Whatever system you play you need people who can find the back of the net. Over the period of Phil Brown's reign we have not really had enough goals from these areas. I am not saying that Atkinson, Timlin and Worrell are bad players but they do not score goals either because of their finishing skills or inability or confidence to get into goalscoring positions. Kevin Maher was a similar type of player but he always had others around him who could contribute to the goals tally. Cresswell, Phillips, Barrett and others could also provide a few goals from set pieces but Prosser and Thompson have really poor records. We really need to get Payne, Clifford and Leonard playing regularly in midfield and hope that the likes of Coulthirst and Corr go on a good run of goalscoring form. The squad we have includes some decent players but maybe too many of the wrong type

My point is I think it could. I accept there is a lot of pressure on our midfielders to get forward and get goals. Clearly they are not managing that too well either compared to other teams. I still believe as does our manager now that we lack a bit more composure and quality up front. New faces make a difference too ( Deegan) On other occasions numerous chances have fallen to our forwards who have significantly failed to score. Would you like Richards upfront , banged in 8 already?

8 posts apart and massive contradictions.

Not forgetting Barcelona also play 4-5-1 and have scored 19 in 7 games conceding 0.

Dont get me wrong I like Coulthiirst I think he will improve and score more in time, but equally he has missed a hatful as has Weston played forward at times although listed as a midfielder/winger. Reminded of my earlier posts re Weston from Gillingham fans. " Will flatter to deceive , play well early on, but run out of steam after 11 games and wont score much" Ergo 2 new strikers please, on loan or otherwise, by Barny. hello Williams, outloan a midfielder if money tight, we have 10 good ens, but apart from Corr no other quality composed striker

Also if it so pointless to have good strikers how come practically most of this league have 50% more than us? Are they all wrong then ? See my initial opening comments on this thread. Only 7 strikers at Luton ? obviously other teams / managers / directors value the quality of having a fair number of strikers contributing?

Back