• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great Wakering Rovers In Mourning For Club Legend Johnson

Thorpe Groyney

Open your mind
In these days of £200,000+ a week wages, of club chairmen and high court hearings splashed across the papers, we tend to lose sight of the very essence of what football really is all about.

Great Wakering Rovers have lost one of the pillars of their club, as has football in Essex, with the passing away of Nobby Johnson, a much loved and respected figure at the both at Burroughs Park and all over the county.

He was one of the old school, wants to win, but treated victory and defeat as twin imposters, as it was about the club itself, about helping others no matter what, about a sheer love of the game.

Many people will have their own memories about him, probably most about listening to his always entertaining PA announcements, but everyone within GWR will know of his intense knowledge of the game at all levels, and learnt so much just by listening to him.

He's exactly what football needs in this day and age and his passing will be especially felt by all at Great Wakering Rovers. Nobby Johnson - I salute you, God bless you, and rest in peace.

Only knew him through visits to the ground, and, as you say Groyney, his PA announcements, but knowing how often his name came up it seemed he ran just about the whole show over there - bar, admissions, refreshments etc. GWR have lost one of their stalwarts, my commiserations and condolences to all his loved ones and friends. Rest in Peace, Nobby.

Will remember Nobby as the keeper for Priory Athletic in the Borough Comb some 40-odd years ago. The man was a legend between the sticks. RIP.

yes good old nobby johnson was one of the 1st people i met when i started playing for great wakering and one i always used to see when i walked out on to the pitch, he will be missed by all that knew him, R.i.P. big man nobby.

Len Fuller was the club Secretary at Homestead,wasn't he?

Old Southendian, and he managed their 5th team on Saturdays. Fullers fighting 5ths as they were known as, sadly dear old Len passed away a good few years ago.

I remember the Homestead Hon Sec but can't remember his name.

Yes it would have been Len Forge, who was the main man in the Borough Comb & Southend Sunday League for many years, also the Veterans League. I seem to remember he passed away a few years ago after retiring to live in France.

Very nice man.I knew he'd passed away from reading something in the Echo a few years back.Didn't know about his retirement in France(something I'm thinking about myself).Remember him well from my time as a Homestead player in the Borough Com and our weekly meetings at the Alexandra Yacht Club.

Very nice man.I knew he'd passed away from reading something in the Echo a few years back.Didn't know about his retirement in France(something I'm thinking about myself).Remember him well from my time as a Homestead player in the Borough Com and our weekly meetings at the Alexandra Yacht Club.

When tackles were tackles. ;)

Back