• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Guardian Guide to the Season out today

Some of these papers have some shocking pundits making predictions.

The opinions and views of Chris Kamara and Jamie Redknapp are amongst the best IMO, at least they usually get it right, and good old Jeff Stelling knows his stuff too.

But the likes of Birtles, Bassett and Warnock ? ? ?

However, it's the negative comments and doubters that often inspire a lot of players/teams.

The News of the World I read had us predicted as finishing 7th not 10th.

Yeah, the NOTW had us finishing 7th, just outside of the Play-Offs. I think they had Forest first and Millwall second. Leeds were down in the lower-midtable and (I think) Orient were bottom. It was probably the best preview I've seen so far, although I personally think Orient will be safe.

The Guardian's looks very poorly researched. I doubt many squads in this league will have more real first-team contenders than we do.

BBC have a club-by-club review of season on their site listing all the signings and leavers by club.
Cooment on us is:
"Striker Eastwood leaves a massive hole to fill but unless Southend tighten up at the back they could struggle once more. "
They have a pessimistic comments about a lot of other clubs too but tip Doncaster, Millwall, Forest (Yawn), Oldham and Tranmere to do well.
Based on last season and reports on pre-season friendlies I think their assessment of us is a fair one. I know there is a lot of concerns about where our goals are going to come from, but I am actually more concerned about our defence.

I think we'll struggle this year as we haven't bought a replacement for Eastwood.

This pre-season we've given away quite a few goals that have been down to bad defending. And we've leaked quite a few goals also.

I can't see Harrold, McDonald, Foran, Bradbury or Paynter getting 20+ goals to get us in the promotion frame. I hope i'm wrong, but i just can't see it.

BBC have a club-by-club review of season on their site listing all the signings and leavers by club.
Cooment on us is:
"Striker Eastwood leaves a massive hole to fill but unless Southend tighten up at the back they could struggle once more. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/6229520.stm

Whilst it does make a valid point about our defense, the Beeb writeup was probably done in about 30 seconds with little to no thought whatsoever. A quick glance at last year's CCC table will tell you our defense isn't exactly rock solid and any observer of the FL could posit that we're going to miss Freddy. Biggest giveaway?

"Key Man: Zoltan Liptak"

Seems like the hapless sports hack who wrote it was drawn to the most exotic-sounding name on our list of transfers in, neglecting to find out that this so-called key man is actually an unproven, albeit promising centre back.

Interesting to note on there that, if you don't count Dario Grady, Tilly is the second longest serving manager in League One and the only manager who has been at his club longer is the man who will be bringing his team to Roots Hall on saturday.

Back