• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

weststander

Manager
Just thought as we are now half way through the season that i'd enlighten you all with a half term reprt on the team from my point of view.

Flahavan - Darryl is relaible and dependable as ever, saved us several points at the start of the season, but, I still think we have got to find better if we are to progress.

Jupp - Dunc has only played a handful of games but during those has been solid without excelling, a good backup player.

Super Cheese - Che has been one of my players of the season so far working his nuts off for the cause. Especially when he has no competition for his place.

Hunt - Good defender and one of our better players, however, i do wish he was a bit more confident in taking shots when he gets the opportunity.

Prior - Has not been the player he was last season but still gives us everything all the time.

Barrett - Adam set himself some very very high standards last year and has not yet lived up to them this, but i'd always have him as the first name on my teamsheet evey time.

Gower - Has been unlucky in picking up injuries but since he has come back i feel he is giving eveything and should be encouraged more than some fans have so far.

Maher - Now i'm not one of Kev's biggest fans but even i have to admit when he's on form he is very good but we dont seem to have seen it for a while, perhaps a spell on the bench would gee him up a bit to the form we all know he can produce.

Goater - When he's good he's very very good when he's not he's a waste of space.  I hope when he comes back from injury we see more of the good Goat.

Gray - Has great pace yet doesnt seem to use it often enough, good header of the ball yet 1 on 1's need a lot of improvement.

Pettefer - Not seen enough of him this year ! In my view he is one of the most solid players we have without being showy, need to use him more.

Bentley - Needs to be more consitent, gives his all and what he loses in skill he makes up for in effort.

Griemink - Only played a few games but has performed reasonably well, i'm a bit worried that he is too injury prone need him fit pushing Darryl for the number 1 spot.

Cole - To come from non league to League 1 is a big step up yet Mitchell has done really well and i can only see him getting better.

Edwards - Very good first half of the seaon especially as he warmed the bench most of last year, he is my preferred partner for Barrett.

Guttridge - Player of the season so far ! I was very sceptical when we signed him yet he has gone from strength to strength, i'd like to see him given the chance to run the midfield without Mahers interference.

Smith - After 2 years out Jay has proved that we were right to keep him I think that a partnership with Guttridge could be excellent for us.

Lawson - What a find ! Scored twice in the 6 games he's started.  It would be nice if he got a run in the team to see if he has really got what we need, GOALS !

JCR - Has great potential and I would like to see him stay but £100K + is a lot of money and in my view has not done enough for us to warrant such a high fee.

Freddy - Has looked good for most of the year and is the only player in the team that can create out of nothing. WE MUST KEEP HIM IF WE ARE TO PROGRESS.

There you have it, my view on the first half of the season there to be shot at by everyone.  Its been another rollercoaster but when hasnt it been supporting this fantastic team of ours.  Here's to Championship football after the second half of the season.

I agree with that pretty well. The one thing we seem to lack at the moment is ideas around the last 1/4 of the pitch. Scoring 3 in the last 7 is not good enough.

maybe after last night i should amend the daryl comment, perhaps he read it and it motivated him ??
biggrin.gif

Excellent idea westander.

Here is my take on the squad:

Goalkeeping department

Flahavan - surely one of the most improved squad members.  Last year there was little between him and Bart in terms of who we would prefer but this season I have noticed a marked improvement in Darryls game in the areas he needs to improve on.    
Performance - B+   Effort - B+

Griemink - Has had little opportunity due to injury and Flahavans form.  Possibly now consigned to the bench or treatment room pemanently.
Performance - C   Effort - C

Verdict on the goalkeeping department
With Bart unfit a loan keeper is a necessity and I can see another keeper being one of next seasons priority targets.  I can't see Bart's contract being renewed.

Defence

Hunt - Has filled the right back slot and would have made it his own had it not been for the latest injury.  Needs to get forward a little more on occasions.  A decent first half of the season.  
Perf. - B   Effort - B

Jupp - Has only just got into the side due to Hunt's performances.  Has not let anyone down yet.  
Perf - C   Effort - C

Prior - Whilst commanding in the air, his floor play lets him down. He has not been the force he was last year and is showing his age in this league.  
Perf - C  Effort - C

Barrett - Struggling to be as dominant at this level.  Gives his all but doesn't get into the box as much as he did last year and keeps getting caught in possession.  Lack of height and pace also a concern but you need players like him when the chips are down as he will make up for any shortcoming with sheer effort and dewtermination.  
Perf - C  Effort - A

Edwards - Has kept Prior out of the side until recently but again age is a problem.  Just about holds his own but another season may be one too many.
Perf - C   Effort - C+

Wilson - Has performed way beyond expectations when I thought he would be the weak link.  We still need a left back though.  
Perf - C+  Effort B+

Verdict on the Defence

We need, as priority, a left back and a tall, quck centre half.  Whether we get them in January remains to be seen.  Edwards and Prior are worth retaining next season as cover and for their experience and coaching ability.

Midfield

Gower - Is showing a welcome return to fitness and form.  After a fairly mediocre start he is starting to demonstrate that he can live at this level but needs to keep the fitness levels up.  
Perf - C+  Effort C+

Cole - After a promising start he has been disappointing.  There is obvious ability but he hasn't shown it much and has not settled into league football as well as we would have hoped.  Needs to be stronger and not whinge as much when tackled.  Room for improvement.  
Perf - D  Effort - D.

Maher - Unusually inconsistent and seems to fluctuate between the very good and the very poor without ever being really average.  Delivery of set pieces shows some signs of improvement,  He has learned to curb his tongue and does not show anywhere near as much dissent as he has done in previous seasons.  Needs to dominate more.  
Perf - C   Effort - C

Bentley - Has had limited opportunities and has not taken them when presented.  Had one really good game at Gillingham but apart from that has been no more than makeweight.  Must work harder to be worth a new contract.  
Perf - D  Effort - D

Smith - How good to see Jay Smith back in the side.  It would be even better to see him back to the form he was showing prior to his bad injuries.  Still, he has made fantastic progress but even allowing for the latest injury would struggle to get into the team on merit.  
Perf - C    Effort - C

Guttridge - The star of the season so far.  Was badly missed when injured.  I think most of us can now see why Tilly signed him on a 3 year deal.  It will take only injuries and suspensions to keep him out of the side.  
Perf - A   Effort - B+

Pettefer - Has had no real opportunity.  Last seasons ever-present man was unluckily injured at the start and has not been able to force his way in.  Definitely only a squad player but if the midfield keep failing to deliver may get his chance.  Can't rate him as he hasn't played.

Campbell-Ryce - A young talent who is slowly learning to play the Southend way.  Needs to beat players AND GET PAST THEM.  Capable of putting over great crosses and needs to do so more often than he does.  Tremendous contribution defensively.  Work rate excellent.  Perhaps trying too hard?  Not currently worth £140K but with the right coaching he will be.  
Perf - C   Effort - B+

Verdict on the midfield

Prior to the season, almost every fan would have agreed that the midfield was our strongest department.  However, it is the area we have been weakest in and we have most underperformers here.  A lot more effort is required and with Maher and Guttridge (when available) certain to fill the central berths it appears that the competition for places has actually worked against players like Smith and Bentley who play like they know that their place is temporary.  I'd like to see Tilly be as ruthless with the midfield positions as he is with the strikers.  At this stage of the season, there is no point in looking to strengthen this area; what we must do is bring the best out of the players we have.  Review it at the end of the season and maybe move Pettefer, Smith and Bentley on if they fail to make an impact between now and May.

Strikers

Goater - We were amazingly lucky to get him.  Even if he doesn't kick another ball his experience will be great to pass onto Lawson, Gray and Eastwood.  Shows touches of Premier$hite class at times but of late has also shown his age.  Is unlikely to contribute unless given decent service which is an area we are currently underperforming in.
Perf - C   Effort - C

Eastwood - Has settled well into league 1 and has shown that he CAN do the business at this level. Probably lacks the pace to be a top flight player but his work rate is improving all the time and he is capable of pulling something out of the bag even if he is playing abysmally.
Perf - B+  Effort - B+

Gray - After starting like an express train he has tailed off a little.  The competition for places has had a good effect on him as he puts more effort in on a regular basis this season.  When he is on form he is a great asset.  When he is off form, sadly he is best on the bench.
Perf - C+  Effort - B

Lawson - A great start to his league career but let's not get too carried away.  He is still very young and has a lot of beefing up to do.  He has talent but whether he can cope with the poressure when things don't go well remains to be seen.  For me, the jury is still out on him and I think we're asking too much of him too soon.
Perf - C   Effort - B

Verdict on the strikers
As Gary Megson said after we beat Forest at the Hall, they couldn't cope with the power we had up front.  Since then, our service to the front has been cut off or lacking, and consequently we have gone from a side that scored goals all over the pitch to one that looked as though they had forgotten what to do with it in the last 1/3rd.  I feel Lawson is 2 seasons away from regular 1st team football (if he makes it at all) and so another striker is required as cover (probably a loanee).

The management

No-one could have foreseen the fact that we would be top of the table in October.  Since then we have been sussed out and we are suddenly discovering that this level is harder to play at than league 2.  This will be the biggest test of Tilly and Brush's reign, as they now need to develop and implement PLAN B to counter the way that teams now approach games against us.  Substitutes are now being used slightly earlier which is good to see.  Overall, a dream start and after a recent blip they need to get the team back on track.  52 points is the first target and the ssoner we get there the better.  Then we can see whether the play offs remain a possibility.  Well done Tilly and Brush.

Summary

1) Bring in a loan keeper, left back, centre half and loan striker in the January window.

2) Concentrate on getting the midfield functioning. Get more out of Bentley, Smith, Cole and Campbell-Ryce (if we keep him). Be prepared to drop Maher if he keeps underperforming.

3) Feed the strikers. They will score!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Dec. 29 2005,15:51)]Bentley - Has had limited opportunities and has not taken them when presented.  Had one really good game at Gillingham but apart from that has been no more than makeweight.  Must work harder to be worth a new contract.  
Perf - D  Effort - D
Do you really think Bentley was a makeweight at home to Forest? Away at Rotherham?

I am flabbergasted that anyone could question Bentley's determination. If Maher had anywhere near the same determination then Maher would be playing champion$hite, if not premier$hite football.

I would also say that on balance Cole has been considerably more effective than Gower or JCR.

A couple of those effort scores are a bit suspicious

Bentley and the Goat have tried hard whenever Ive seen them play

You wouldnt think we were in the play offs

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Dec. 29 2005,22:26)]I would also say that on balance Cole has been considerably more effective than Gower or JCR.
From what I saw before I left, Cole was one of our most dangerous players and identified by opposition managers as a potential match winner. That said, his form was a little on the slide before I left and I reckon his rating in comparison to Gower may possibly have been tainted by recent performances where it seems Gower has been (barring Hartlepool), the only real positive. On paper, I've felt for most of this season that our team can play better than it was, even when we were top.

I hope JCR can produce the form he showed against Yeovil on a regular basis or else the money seems like a lot. That said, like with Cole, you feel he has the ability to turn a game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Dec. 29 2005,15:51)]Excellent idea westander.

Here is my take on the squad:

Goalkeeping department

Flahavan - surely one of the most improved squad members.  Last year there was little between him and Bart in terms of who we would prefer but this season I have noticed a marked improvement in Darryls game in the areas he needs to improve on.    
Performance - B+   Effort - B+

Griemink - Has had little opportunity due to injury and Flahavans form.  Possibly now consigned to the bench or treatment room pemanently.
Performance - C   Effort - C

Verdict on the goalkeeping department
With Bart unfit a loan keeper is a necessity and I can see another keeper being one of next seasons priority targets.  I can't see Bart's contract being renewed.

Defence

Hunt - Has filled the right back slot and would have made it his own had it not been for the latest injury.  Needs to get forward a little more on occasions.  A decent first half of the season.  
Perf. - B   Effort - B

Jupp - Has only just got into the side due to Hunt's performances.  Has not let anyone down yet.  
Perf - C   Effort - C

Prior - Whilst commanding in the air, his floor play lets him down. He has not been the force he was last year and is showing his age in this league.  
Perf - C  Effort - C

Barrett - Struggling to be as dominant at this level.  Gives his all but doesn't get into the box as much as he did last year and keeps getting caught in possession.  Lack of height and pace also a concern but you need players like him when the chips are down as he will make up for any shortcoming with sheer effort and dewtermination.  
Perf - C  Effort - A

Edwards - Has kept Prior out of the side until recently but again age is a problem.  Just about holds his own but another season may be one too many.
Perf - C   Effort - C+

Wilson - Has performed way beyond expectations when I thought he would be the weak link.  We still need a left back though.  
Perf - C+  Effort B+

Verdict on the Defence

We need, as priority, a left back and a tall, quck centre half.  Whether we get them in January remains to be seen.  Edwards and Prior are worth retaining next season as cover and for their experience and coaching ability.

Midfield

Gower - Is showing a welcome return to fitness and form.  After a fairly mediocre start he is starting to demonstrate that he can live at this level but needs to keep the fitness levels up.  
Perf - C+  Effort C+

Cole - After a promising start he has been disappointing.  There is obvious ability but he hasn't shown it much and has not settled into league football as well as we would have hoped.  Needs to be stronger and not whinge as much when tackled.  Room for improvement.  
Perf - D  Effort - D.

Maher - Unusually inconsistent and seems to fluctuate between the very good and the very poor without ever being really average.  Delivery of set pieces shows some signs of improvement,  He has learned to curb his tongue and does not show anywhere near as much dissent as he has done in previous seasons.  Needs to dominate more.  
Perf - C   Effort - C

Bentley - Has had limited opportunities and has not taken them when presented.  Had one really good game at Gillingham but apart from that has been no more than makeweight.  Must work harder to be worth a new contract.  
Perf - D  Effort - D

Smith - How good to see Jay Smith back in the side.  It would be even better to see him back to the form he was showing prior to his bad injuries.  Still, he has made fantastic progress but even allowing for the latest injury would struggle to get into the team on merit.  
Perf - C    Effort - C

Guttridge - The star of the season so far.  Was badly missed when injured.  I think most of us can now see why Tilly signed him on a 3 year deal.  It will take only injuries and suspensions to keep him out of the side.  
Perf - A   Effort - B+

Pettefer - Has had no real opportunity.  Last seasons ever-present man was unluckily injured at the start and has not been able to force his way in.  Definitely only a squad player but if the midfield keep failing to deliver may get his chance.  Can't rate him as he hasn't played.

Campbell-Ryce - A young talent who is slowly learning to play the Southend way.  Needs to beat players AND GET PAST THEM.  Capable of putting over great crosses and needs to do so more often than he does.  Tremendous contribution defensively.  Work rate excellent.  Perhaps trying too hard?  Not currently worth £140K but with the right coaching he will be.  
Perf - C   Effort - B+

Verdict on the midfield

Prior to the season, almost every fan would have agreed that the midfield was our strongest department.  However, it is the area we have been weakest in and we have most underperformers here.  A lot more effort is required and with Maher and Guttridge (when available) certain to fill the central berths it appears that the competition for places has actually worked against players like Smith and Bentley who play like they know that their place is temporary.  I'd like to see Tilly be as ruthless with the midfield positions as he is with the strikers.  At this stage of the season, there is no point in looking to strengthen this area; what we must do is bring the best out of the players we have.  Review it at the end of the season and maybe move Pettefer, Smith and Bentley on if they fail to make an impact between now and May.

Strikers

Goater - We were amazingly lucky to get him.  Even if he doesn't kick another ball his experience will be great to pass onto Lawson, Gray and Eastwood.  Shows touches of Premier$hite class at times but of late has also shown his age.  Is unlikely to contribute unless given decent service which is an area we are currently underperforming in.
Perf - C   Effort - C

Eastwood - Has settled well into league 1 and has shown that he CAN do the business at this level. Probably lacks the pace to be a top flight player but his work rate is improving all the time and he is capable of pulling something out of the bag even if he is playing abysmally.
Perf - B+  Effort - B+

Gray - After starting like an express train he has tailed off a little.  The competition for places has had a good effect on him as he puts more effort in on a regular basis this season.  When he is on form he is a great asset.  When he is off form, sadly he is best on the bench.
Perf - C+  Effort - B

Lawson - A great start to his league career but let's not get too carried away.  He is still very young and has a lot of beefing up to do.  He has talent but whether he can cope with the poressure when things don't go well remains to be seen.  For me, the jury is still out on him and I think we're asking too much of him too soon.
Perf - C   Effort - B

Verdict on the strikers
As Gary Megson said after we beat Forest at the Hall, they couldn't cope with the power we had up front.  Since then, our service to the front has been cut off or lacking, and consequently we have gone from a side that scored goals all over the pitch to one that looked as though they had forgotten what to do with it in the last 1/3rd.  I feel Lawson is 2 seasons away from regular 1st team football (if he makes it at all) and so another striker is required as cover (probably a loanee).

The management

No-one could have foreseen the fact that we would be top of the table in October.  Since then we have been sussed out and we are suddenly discovering that this level is harder to play at than league 2.  This will be the biggest test of Tilly and Brush's reign, as they now need to develop and implement PLAN B to counter the way that teams now approach games against us.  Substitutes are now being used slightly earlier which is good to see.  Overall, a dream start and after a recent blip they need to get the team back on track.  52 points is the first target and the ssoner we get there the better.  Then we can see whether the play offs remain a possibility.  Well done Tilly and Brush.

Summary

1) Bring in a loan keeper, left back, centre half and loan striker in the January window.

2) Concentrate on getting the midfield functioning.  Get more out of Bentley, Smith, Cole and Campbell-Ryce (if we keep him).  Be prepared to drop Maher if he keeps underperforming.

3) Feed the strikers.  They will score!
Busy were we FBM...
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Dec. 29 2005,22:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Dec. 29 2005,15:51)]Bentley - Has had limited opportunities and has not taken them when presented.  Had one really good game at Gillingham but apart from that has been no more than makeweight.  Must work harder to be worth a new contract.  
Perf - D  Effort - D
Do you really think Bentley was a makeweight at home to Forest? Away at Rotherham?

I am flabbergasted that anyone could question Bentley's determination. If Maher had anywhere near the same determination then Maher would be playing champion$hite, if not premier$hite football.

I would also say that on balance Cole has been considerably more effective than Gower or JCR.
I'd forgotten about Forest at home, but didn't see Rotherham.

Let me say I am a huge Bentley fan but I have been disappointed with his effort this season, which his normally his greatest attribute.

In a midfield where chances to appear are limited, IMHO when he has been given a place he hasn't maintained the level of performance required to nail down that place.  For instance, he was good against Gillingham and Forest, but (along with most others) didn't perform at Doncaster and then lost his place.  I can't remember if it was through injury or suspension or was dropped, but since then he hasn't made the most of his limited opportunities.  He seems to have come into the side and not really gone all out to try and get his place back.

My main point here is that if we take it as a given that Maher will always play when available, and acknowledging that Bentley can't play on the left side, then he is vying for the one central spot left, or the place on the right hand side.  On he right he will be behind Gower and Campbell-Ryce in the pecking order; in the middle Guttridge has been superb and so Bentley will really have to wait until either Gutts or Maher are injured or suspended before he gets off the bench (and sometimes even on it!).  We have had Maher suspended and Guttridge injured recently, yet neither Bentley or Smith have come in and played in a fashion that makes it hard for Tilson to consider leaving either Guttridge or Maher out.  It may well be that they know that regardless of their performance it will be Maher and Guttridge as 1st choice anyway, so that is where the competition for places isn't really working.

Contrast this with up front where Tilly has shown that he is happy to play any 2 out of the 4 strikers we have.  That has kept the strikers on their toes and I think generally their effort has been excellent all season.  The recent goal drought has been because the supply has broken down rather than the strikers missing chance after chance (MK Dons cup match excepted).

As for Pettefer, he is behind everyone!

I hope Tilly is a bit more ruthless in the midfield area in 2006.

Back