• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mrsblue

Banned
With the latest studies suggesting constant heading of the ball can be dangerous I would like to see all under 16 games having headers outlawed.

I introduced sponge balls to training sessions 4 year's ago as I did not want the under 11s attacking the ball which had normally been pumped to overweight proportions,Indeed even during games I insist to them let the thing bounce first then attack it.

Been playing for 15 year's and I avoid heading it most of the time,It bloody hurts.

It's part of the game though and always will be. Teaching kids not to head the ball surely isn't good when they get to the age when they join the mans game. They'd get outmuscled, out jumped and dominated?

And heading the ball shouldn't hurt? Mitre ultimatch are a good quality ball with a nice softish outer, the balls i used for my Sunday side last season and never a problem. Training quality balls on the other hand like the mite malmo are bloody hard I agree but not for use in match situations.

It's part of the game though and always will be. Teaching kids not to head the ball surely isn't good when they get to the age when they join the mans game. They'd get outmuscled, out jumped and dominated?

I learned today an ex top pro Jeff Astle died from brain injuries caused by constantly heading the ball,The latest studies suggest children are not sufficiently developed enough to attack the ball as their neck muscles are not strong enough whilst their brain cannot take such punishment.The brain is being battered by heading the ball whatever part of the head one uses.

I think the FA will act very soon.

I learned today an ex top pro Jeff Astle died from brain injuries caused by constantly heading the ball,The latest studies suggest children are not sufficiently developed enough to attack the ball as their neck muscles are not strong enough whilst their brain cannot take such punishment.The brain is being battered by heading the ball whatever part of the head one uses.

Stop any one kicking a ball or even playing football incase they get hurt,play and be dammed.

But he played decades ago when the balls to quote KES were as hard as iron!? I'm sure the FA are not going to ban heading in football.

Sadly mrsblue is right that this is going to become a massive issue in the future. One lawsuit is all it'll take for this to blow-up NFL style.

Seeing as experts are saying that it's not safe for youngsters to be heading balls, I'm not sure what the FA can do except change the rules in youth football and training.

Personally I think it could be a good thing if the ball is on the deck more and it isn't head tennis. However anyone who plays sunday league will know that when you've got a pudding of a pitch it's inevitable that the game just ends up as head tennis and so we need the facilities to improve at all levels as well.

Simple solutions:
- keepers cannot punt on the full volley (either half volley, floor or roll out)
- up until a certain age the game is 'below head height'.

Sadly mrsblue is right that this is going to become a massive issue in the future. One lawsuit is all it'll take for this to blow-up NFL style.

Seeing as experts are saying that it's not safe for youngsters to be heading balls, I'm not sure what the FA can do except change the rules in youth football and training.

Personally I think it could be a good thing if the ball is on the deck more and it isn't head tennis. However anyone who plays sunday league will know that when you've got a pudding of a pitch it's inevitable that the game just ends up as head tennis and so we need the facilities to improve at all levels as well.

Simple solutions:
- keepers cannot punt on the full volley (either half volley, floor or roll out)
- up until a certain age the game is 'below head height'.

I agree 100%,

5 year's ago I watched an adult during his training session embark on a corner kick routine,He pinged in ball after ball demanding his defenders attack it whilst wanting his attackers to try and score!.

The kids were under 13 and in my mind it was torture to watch the carnage!

I agree Defo no drop kicks from the keeper and in addition make the ball lighter.

I know and played with someone whose dad passed away due to brain injuries and doctors believed that how often he played football and headed the ball was an influencing factor in his death, it was really hard for him to even play football again but he did and he chose not to head the ball. No one held it against him and everyone in the team was fine with it, we didn't mind it making our jobs harder because there was a good explanation as to why he chose not to header the ball.

I don't see the problem with it at an older age, and it's really almost impossible to tell how damaging it is for kids until they look into it further, I don't want to see it banned but it should be looked at for the youngest age groups.

I know and played with someone whose dad passed away due to brain injuries and doctors believed that how often he played football and headed the ball was an influencing factor in his death, it was really hard for him to even play football again but he did and he chose not to head the ball. No one held it against him and everyone in the team was fine with it, we didn't mind it making our jobs harder because there was a good explanation as to why he chose not to header the ball.

I don't see the problem with it at an older age, and it's really almost impossible to tell how damaging it is for kids until they look into it further, I don't want to see it banned but it should be looked at for the youngest age groups.

Definitive evidence on how it potentially affects children just isn't going to happen either. Would you happily randomise your child to a study to see whether or not heading causes brain injuries?! The only study designs which are possible for this kind of issue will have biases. However it may be possible to suggest a fairly clear link.

Unless the FA gets a grip on this, anecdotal evidence will continue to mount along with expert opinions, and you'll see parents deciding that rather than playing football - little Timmy is going to take up the piano or play basketball or tennis.

[video=youtube;ZpVuaGqB6I0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpVuaGqB6I0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Well worth a watch, and he's worth a follow on twitter if you're into F1 and sports/medicine in general.

Interesting stuff Pubey,

My theory is the ball weighs many grammes which is traveling at speed when it connects with children's heads that alone cannot be allowed to continue IMO,Fair enough if adults want to head it time and time again.

I have played around 400 games and only remember myself attacking it from drop kicks on a handful of occasions and each and every time it was painful and put me off my game hence why now I either let it bounce or give my opponent a little nudge and hope the ref don't spot it.

I am a coward.

With the latest studies suggesting constant heading of the ball can be dangerous I would like to see all under 16 games having headers outlawed.

I introduced sponge balls to training sessions 4 year's ago as I did not want the under 11s attacking the ball which had normally been pumped to overweight proportions,Indeed even during games I insist to them let the thing bounce first then attack it.

Been playing for 15 year's and I avoid heading it most of the time,It bloody hurts.

Only if you do it wrong...

I read this the other day and just laughed at it. borderline stupid. How did we ever do it in the old days?

Its like anything in life if you are taught correctly it will not hurt.

If I was a parent of one of the U11's I would question your coaching to why they are not being taught to attack the ball and head correctly

If I was a parent of one of the U11's I would question your coaching to why they are not being taught to attack the ball and head correctly

The parents were most keen when I used sponge balls for corner routines and other drills involving use of the head.
They are under 11 and attend training to have fun not used as cannon fodder.The game has moved on from your day with laced balls and hobnail boots.

The parents were most keen when I used sponge balls for corner routines and other drills involving use of the head.
They are under 11 and attend training to have fun not used as cannon fodder.The game has moved on from your day with laced balls and hobnail boots.

Seeing as Im only 31 I cant see how the game has moved on that much to the point of outlawing heading in youth football.

Im currently involved in youth football and wouldnt dream of changing the fundamentals of the game and I wouldnt want the coach not to teach heading.

When a kid approaches you and says I watched the Real Madrid game last night and Bale scored a bullet header why cant I do that? What would you answer be?

Back