• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

help needed

TMWLT

Banned
I am trying to track down fellow fans of the shrimpers, who started going to see southend towards the end of the 60s and early 70s, to try and get up a reunion of those of us that were there in the early days, before any bandwagon came along(was that a gypsy bandwagon??) I know there is myself, and people like super roy fox, who were there in the early days, but not sure of any others, it would be good to see how long some of us have supported the shrimpers, surely not everyone on this site came along in the last 3 seasons

Been going since 1967, 1st home game v Aldershot 1-1
!st away game v C** U 1968 or 1969 on a friday night and we lost 0-4. Met my ex wife watching the Blues at Plymouth on a friday night in 1975, and currently my eldest son is flying the flag for us in Long Island, New York.

I am thirty years old and have been fanatic all my life, 1985 is the first year i really remember sorry i not older but have missed about twelve home matches in last twenty years and have clocked up forty eight grounds

Having been born in 1973, I'll have to make do with being a bandwaggoner...

I shall attempt to boil my head this afternoon in pennance.

down.gif

Probably went to a few games before but remember going to Southend play Stoke in 72 a huge pre season crowd turned out to see banks but he never played ! ....think final score was 2-4 after being 2 0 up at half time...the stoke team fielded a strong squad that beat Chelsea (as they were known then) in the league cup final. now i am showing my age...Friday night football was quite regular in those days and being able to swap ends at half time round the back of the west stand...

My big brother started taking me in 1966, though I don't remember much about those early games. We could choose which end we stood though, and if the toss went wrong and the away team decided to kick the other way we would all tramp round behind the West to the other end while the match was on, and then back again at half time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Jan. 05 2007,12:09)]1972, but completely turned my back on football from 1999-2004 before returning in August of that year.
A good 5 years to miss out of a Southend fans life........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (David Essex @ Jan. 05 2007,11:55)]Probably went to a few games before but remember going to Southend play Stoke in 72 a huge pre season crowd turned out to see banks but he never played ! ....think final score was 2-4 after being 2 0 up at half time...the stoke team fielded a strong squad that beat Chelsea (as they were known then) in the league cup final. now i am showing my age...Friday night football was quite regular in those days and being able to swap ends at half time round the back of the west stand...
I think that was a testimonial for Tony Bentley, our right back in the sixties, and the North Bank even made up a song to commemorate the occasion. It went like this:
Bellotti kicks, Tennent flicks,
Garner beats Banks, and Eastham w*****
United 1 City 0, United 1 City 0
It was sung to the tune of a hit record at the time possibly by the Tams. Now i'm showing my age, i'd better pop out for a pint of Watneys Red (p*** water).

I started going on a friday straight from art college when it was in Carnaervon Road in 1974. Can't remember first game but enjoyed the laugh in the North Bank. Anyone remember a headcase called Booter - I think his name was Talat Buta on something.

Anyway I thought it cool to support a team other than spurs or spammers.

Still here except for home games nowadays
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TMWLT @ Jan. 05 2007,11:39)]I am trying to track down fellow fans of the shrimpers, who started going to see southend towards the end of the 60s and early 70s, to try and get up a reunion of those of us that were there in the early days, before any bandwagon came along(was that a gypsy bandwagon??) I know there is myself, and people like super roy fox, who were there in the early days, but not sure of any others, it would be good to see how long some of us have supported the shrimpers, surely not everyone on this site came along in the last 3 seasons
I've supported the club for over 25 years but don't feel that makes me any more worthy than someone who has supported for 3...

And there I was thinking a bandwagon, increased support and therefore revenue for the club was a good thing.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 05 2007,12:09)]My big brother started taking me in 1966, though I don't remember much about those early games. We could choose which end we stood though, and if the toss went wrong and the away team decided to kick the other way we would all tramp round behind the West to the other end while the match was on, and then back again at half time.
I too remember those days SIAK.

Can also remember the odd times when we did win the toss, and the team would do a lap of honour...
biggrin.gif

I was there by 1970/71 -

early hero was Billy Best - later on Spud Taylor, Bill Garner, Chris Guthrie.

Roots Hall was a decent sized ground and always stood on the North Bank (Pak) - unless SUFC were made to kick towards the (massive) south bank in the second half. Then you could walk around the back of the west stand. Was trying to recall with a mate how much they charged for the transfer into the west stand - think it was 6d.

Football had far bigger crowds in those days - Spurs 55,000 - went to Arsenal Chelsea at highbury 61,000 and Chelsea took the North Bank.

SUFC regularly had 8000 in the old 4th div. and when they were going up the last few games would see 12 - 18,000.

Friday night games were regular and at school everyone supported a London team as well - unfortunately a mate of mines dad used to take us brisbane rd as well - one year they beat chelsea and arsenal on a pitch that was a mud bath and then an ice rink.

SUFC has always lived in the shadow of the london clubs but with a bit of success the crowds came flocking - we were seen as a club competing with big lower league clubs like Brighton and Bournemouth. The club attracted players cos it had club houses and was financially sound (profitable) - not least from the market.

I remain unconvinced about the need to leave Roots Hall - as the place is full of memories and there is room to develop but no-one is going to ask me - if they did I do have a plan.

The burning question for me is does Alison Moyet still go ?

Dont worry SW17, if you ever want to see TMWLT he walks around Roots Hall with a sandwich board emblazoned with 'End of the Shrimpers is Nigh'

yes spoke to her after her concerts at the cliffs in 2005, and said that despite being very busy she does get to the occasional game, she went to the play off final, and I think the first ldv, and had been to orient

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Billy Bests boot laces @ Jan. 05 2007,11:47)]Been going since 1967, 1st home game v Aldershot 1-1
!st away game v C** U 1968 or 1969 on a friday night and we lost 0-4. Met my ex wife watching the Blues at Plymouth on a friday night in 1975, and currently my eldest son is flying the flag for us in Long Island, New York.
BBBL

Was that on Oct 27th 1967 ??

That was my First game as well

1-1 (Chisnall 4th minute) 12,01 attended . (© sufcdb)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TMWLT @ Jan. 05 2007,11:39)]I am trying to track down fellow fans of the shrimpers, who started going to see southend towards the end of the 60s and early 70s, to try and get up a reunion of those of us that were there in the early days, before any bandwagon came along(was that a gypsy bandwagon??) I know there is myself, and people like super roy fox, who were there in the early days, but not sure of any others, it would be good to see how long some of us have supported the shrimpers, surely not everyone on this site came along in the last 3 seasons
I'm afraid I've only been going since Tilly took over. Although my friend who I attend with has been going since he was four. Could I ask you if your a member of England fans as you seemed to know me. I was wondering how?

As we are on the subject of "the old days" Is Ossie still in the area?

I didn't know him at football but I met him at the premiere of the film Flame (with Slade) in 1975

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Jan. 05 2007,12:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Billy Bests boot laces @ Jan. 05 2007,11:47)]Been going since 1967, 1st home game v Aldershot 1-1
BBBL

Was that on Oct 27th 1967 ??

That was my First game as well

1-1 (Chisnall 4th minute) 12,01 attended . (© sufcdb)
Yes it was my friend, the Shots equalised in the 2nd half. Had no need to buy a programme in those days as many fans used to leave them on the seats on top of the cushions you could hire for 3d. If the team put in a poor performance then some of these would be thrown onto the pitch at the final whistle!.

Back