• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

help needed

i think your find that ossie,lives or did live in reading, if you remember the 2 games in the early 80s, when we smashed the train up on the way back to paddington, ossie only came as far as the station with us, as he lived in the area, the person who could answer that question is Charlie Neal, who working on c2c

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Jan. 05 2007,12:46)]As we are on the subject of "the old days" Is Ossie still in the area?

I didn't know him at football but I met him at the premiere of the film Flame (with Slade) in 1975
Rayleigh Ossie who was Slades greatest fan was murdered by the guy he was living with in Rochford in 1981-82.

I started in August 1969. First game was at home v Crewe and we won 2-0. Gary Moore missed an open goal (no change there then) but redeemed himself with a goal. I believe the other scorer was John Baber - or at least someone who is on the database as John Baber but who I seem to recall being called Eddie Baber. Can anyone enlighten me on his correct name?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TMWLT @ Jan. 05 2007,12:48)]i think your find that ossie,lives or did live in reading, if you remember the 2 games in the early 80s, when we smashed the train up on the way back to paddington, ossie only came as far as the station with us, as he lived in the area, the person who could answer that question is Charlie Neal, who working on c2c
The Ossie referred to here was the one who used to spray paint Ossie - S.U.F.C. all over the country, and not the one asked about. Incidently the 2 other Ossies from that era now aged 51 and 48, both from Leigh, still go to the games.

Eddie? Could Be Eddie Firmani, or Eddie Clayton-remember him getting a hat trick against Workington when we beat them 7-0. First game I saw was against Lincoln, a 2-1 win, about 71 I should think.

My first match was watching Southend boys beat Walthamstow boys 9-1 at Jones mem. ground. in 1962 Then watched the boys in further rounds that year. My first league match was 1-1 against Swindon in 1962/3, ( although had been to the odd game with my Dad previously but don't know who against). First away game was against QPR in 1964/5 we lost 2-0, an evening game I assured my mum I would be home for 10pm. The Eastern National coaches left from Pier Hill.

In answer to earlier post it was JOHN BABER a youth team player I beleive started playing in the 66/7 season I think, looked promising for a while but faded,

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dad of Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 05 2007,13:02)]My first  match was watching Southend boys beat Walthamstow boys 9-1 at Jones mem. ground. in 1962 Then watched the boys in further rounds that year. My first league match was 1-1 against Swindon in 1962/3, ( although had been to the odd game with my Dad previously but don't know who against). First away game was against QPR in 1964/5 we lost 2-0, an evening game I assured my mum I would be home for 10pm. The Eastern National coaches left from Pier Hill.

In answer to earlier post it was JOHN BABER a youth team player I beleive started playing in the 66/7 season I think, looked promising for a while but faded,
this must have been befor you was ****ed all the time love geoffrey

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dad of Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 05 2007,13:02)]My first  match was watching Southend boys beat Walthamstow boys 9-1 at Jones mem. ground. in 1962 Then watched the boys in further rounds that year. My first league match was 1-1 against Swindon in 1962/3, ( although had been to the odd game with my Dad previously but don't know who against). First away game was against QPR in 1964/5 we lost 2-0, an evening game I assured my mum I would be home for 10pm. The Eastern National coaches left from Pier Hill.

According to the database he joined in 1966 from Charlton and left for Margate in 1971 having played 91 times (inc 10 as a sub) and scoring 19 goals.

so glad Gary Moore got a mention - as his legendary lack of
ability is a key childhood memory. Everything seemed to go over the bar always -

can you remember the fashion for long white coats - as per
Clockwork Orange - ?

Started going to home games mid seventies, got the away bug late 70's. We travelled with the alternative supporters club, Bob Martin UMBH. The older lads Ozzie, Joe, Franky and the Chapman brothers looked after the younger ones.
First away game was Southport (0-0) (a mega story in itself)went with my two great friends Big Chris and Bob S.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TMWLT @ Jan. 05 2007,11:39)]I am trying to track down fellow fans of the shrimpers, who started going to see southend towards the end of the 60s and early 70s, to try and get up a reunion of those of us that were there in the early days, before any bandwagon came along(was that a gypsy bandwagon??) I know there is myself, and people like super roy fox, who were there in the early days, but not sure of any others, it would be good to see how long some of us have supported the shrimpers, surely not everyone on this site came along in the last 3 seasons
My dear boy do you know the problems you have caued on the England fans forum. Never have I seen such a manhunt for you since Ronnie Biggs went missing in the 60s.
Its entertaining though
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimps and chips @ Jan. 05 2007,15:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TMWLT @ Jan. 05 2007,11:39)]I am trying to track down fellow fans of the shrimpers, who started going to see southend towards the end of the 60s and early 70s, to try and get up a reunion of those of us that were there in the early days, before any bandwagon came along(was that a gypsy bandwagon??) I know there is myself, and people like super roy fox, who were there in the early days, but not sure of any others, it would be good to see how long some of us have supported the shrimpers, surely not everyone on this site came along in the last 3 seasons
My dear boy do you know the problems you have caued on the England fans forum. Never have I seen such a manhunt for you since Ronnie Biggs went missing in the 60s.
Its entertaining though  
biggrin.gif
It's become a "Fox hunt".

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TMWLT @ Jan. 05 2007,12:39)]I am trying to track down fellow fans of the shrimpers, who started going to see southend towards the end of the 60s and early 70s, to try and get up a reunion of those of us that were there in the early days, before any bandwagon came along(was that a gypsy bandwagon??) I know there is myself, and people like super roy fox, who were there in the early days, but not sure of any others, it would be good to see how long some of us have supported the shrimpers, surely not everyone on this site came along in the last 3 seasons
So you'd be a bandwagoner to those going since the 50's?

rock.gif

[b said:
My first game was August 62/63 v Reading at home when Ted Fenton was manager. Then came Alvan Williams who promised us he would get us out of Division 3, he did we promptly got relegated.
sad.gif
down.gif
ghostface.gif

For those of you old enough to remember the late 60's early 70's the Team We Call United is a must. In fact it's a must for any SUFC Supporter.

It has player profiles, match footage (home & away) plus loads more, filmed during the 67/68 season.

For further details click here.

dvd-300.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Billy Bests boot laces @ Jan. 05 2007,12:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TMWLT @ Jan. 05 2007,12:48)]i think your find that ossie,lives or did live in reading, if you remember the 2 games in the early 80s, when we smashed the train up on the way back to paddington, ossie only came as far as the station with us, as he lived in the area, the person who could answer that question is Charlie Neal, who working on c2c
The Ossie referred to here was the one who used to spray paint Ossie - S.U.F.C. all over the country, and not the one asked about. Incidently the 2 other Ossies from that era now aged 51 and 48, both from Leigh, still go to the games.
Cheers, I had always assumed they were one and the same.....

I remember when I first Started work in the city PAK was sprayed on the railway arches by the old crutched friars entrance to fenchurch street.

All went when they modernised it all around 1988

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rayleigh boy @ Jan. 05 2007,13:24)]so glad Gary Moore got a mention - as his legendary lack of
ability is a key childhood memory. Everything seemed to go over the bar always -

Clockwork Orange - ?
Cue Uxbridge shrimper .....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimperstrust @ Jan. 05 2007,16:19)]For those of you old enough to remember the late 60's early 70's the Team We Call United is a must. In fact it's a must for any SUFC Supporter.

It has player profiles, match footage (home & away) plus loads more, filmed during the 67/68 season.

For further details click here.

dvd-300.jpg
good plug

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Jan. 05 2007,16:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rayleigh boy @ Jan. 05 2007,13:24)]so glad Gary Moore got a mention - as his legendary lack of

Clockwork Orange - ?
Cue Uxbridge shrimper .....
Fond memories of Gillingham in 72 in the ****ing rain.

Back