• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

we're going Cuba

some great all-in deals to be had, will report back to you once we have been, but looks nice, and everyone who has been rates it to us. Cayo Coco / Guillermo area.

not ideal for later in the year, as hurricane season is Aug-Sep, but then maybe you like adventure!

Malta has three major beaches, and Gozo has a couple. And from my memory none are fake, but then again I have only been going there on and off since 1983 so I maybe wrong. I am sure OS can put us right.

Been there just the once, and I'm sure I was told that the sand was imported..... could be wrong.

Looking at booking a decent holiday sometime later in the year - anyone recommend somewhere decent?

Looking for a quiet, relaxing beach type holiday - ideally no kids around!
1biggrin.gif

So far, looked at;

1) Sandals - quite expensive and not meant to be as good as advertised. Lots of beach weddings and when we are looking to go (around Sept) is still hurricane season!

2) Florida/Disney - Was the original choice, but thinks gonna be not relaxing enough. I've been before anyway.

3) Maldives - Too isolated

4) Canary Islands - Been before and quiet nice, so its certainly in the lead.

We've also looked into Texas as they are meant to have some of the nicest beaches in the world!?

Ruling out (places I dont want to go!)

Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Africa and probably Australia (only due to the fact I've already been and you need at least 3 weeks to do it justice).

Any ideas please chaps and chapesses?

Hey there chap!

How about Clacton?

It's got a beach, travel is easy, plenty of cheap slags about and if it turns out to be crap, you can be home in about 30 minutes.

Kind Regards

Looking myself and considering all in deals...

Egypt is hot 35degrees but if you can stand that - then thats worth consideration.
I am going to look at Malta.
Tunisia would fit your description I think.
I can recommend Cuba, Dominican Republic, Antigua and Barbados. But then I love the Caribbean... relaxed, hot, good fun less kids in these destinations. Culture of these places is top notch.

Going to both this year, Dubrovnik, Split and Kotor. Woo hoo.

Kotor is beautiful. We were based in Dubrovnik and only did Montenegro as a day trip but would have loved to have given it a couple of days.

bay_of_kotor.jpg

As for Dubrovnik, strolling along the Stradun with the missus, enjoying some of the fantastic ice cream they sell there, is a particularly fond memory.

1454667623_adc9791739.jpg

Like Mat. I would also recommend Menorca.Cuidadeia is a much more interesting place to stay near than the capital Mahon.
If you're interested in nude sunbathing and a generally more hippy lifestyle than kiddy friendly Menorca offers then try Formentera.It's very small but has some of the best beaches in the Med.

Depends what sort of holiday you're after - full package, self-catering or somewhere in-between?

If it's self catering in a villa that you're after, a good option might be Menorca. We're off there in June - and, really, any of the Balearics are ideal in September, I'd have thought. You're outside peak time, there are plenty of quiet bits in which to relax and spend time on the beach, you can potter around and do sight-seeing if you wish...

The thing that we liked about Menorca is that it's only a little bit more than 1 hour to drive from one end of the island to the other. So there's plenty of stuff to see; but nothing's really too far away. Menorca also supposedly has as many beaches as Ibiza & Mallorca put together; and the clincher: Easyjet fly there, so not too pricey to get there.

Have fun!

Matt

Kotor is beautiful. We were based in Dubrovnik and only did Montenegro as a day trip but would have loved to have given it a couple of days.

bay_of_kotor.jpg

As for Dubrovnik, strolling along the Stradun with the missus, enjoying some of the fantastic ice cream they sell there, is a particularly fond memory.

1454667623_adc9791739.jpg

Thanks Mr Leo. I'm going on a cruise, so unfortunately will only be in each place for 1 day (with the exception of Venice where we get an overnight stop)... the photo's look fantastic, shame i'm on a cut at the moment or I'd be making the most of the ice cream!!

Quite understand - London to LA, LA to the middle of the Pacific

There's no doubt at all that some of the finest beaches on earth are in the South Pacific - not least because they're so bloody far away from anywhere!!

I stayed in the Yasawa group of islands off the west coast of Fiji:

fiji-map.gif

The beach at the place I stayed was the best beach I've ever seen...

beach.jpg

header-yasawa.jpg

1.1253672165.octopus-beach-1.jpg

But you're looking at more than 24h on a plane, plus a change somewhere like LA, to get there (never mind the expense of that)... and I wouldn't fancy that with kids!

:thump:

I mean... look at where the UK is compared to Fiji on this map!

fiji-world-map.gif

Last edited:
Wow! That does look ideal :)

What sort of plane is it from LA though, a little Sea Bobber type thing?

Oh no, a normal plane. Just the distance and time involved that's all.

Honestly it's the sort of place where you arrive, chill out completely and just do very little at all. There's two bus routes on the island - clockwise and anti-clockwise - or hire a scooter. Swim, snorkel, fish, lounge around...bliss!

Oh no, a normal plane. Just the distance and time involved that's all.

Honestly it's the sort of place where you arrive, chill out completely and just do very little at all. There's two bus routes on the island - clockwise and anti-clockwise - or hire a scooter. Swim, snorkel, fish, lounge around...bliss!

Nail. On. Head!

This is exactly what I'm looking for, chill out, iPod (or iPad hopefully by then!), few good books, some cold beers....

Nail. On. Head!

This is exactly what I'm looking for, chill out, iPod (or iPad hopefully by then!), few good books, some cold beers....

With its jagged peaks and deep valleys, fertile slopes of red earth and sparkling aquamarine lagoon, Rartonga comes pretty close to the classic image of paradise.
Raratonga was one of the last of thehttp://www.world66.com/australiaandpacific/cookislands/rarotonga/# to be visited by European ships, but since its "discovery" it has always been a favorite of sailors and merchants. Many old South Sea hands consider it the most beautiful island in the Pacific.
Countless travellers' tales, books, plays and films have created a vision of an archetype of heaven in the South Seas -- massed coconut palms, jungle-clad peaks, the boom of combers smashing on the reef, the crimson flamboyant trees and the beat of the drum dance. Amazingly enough it is all true. Casual chats with overseas visitors will often confirm their surprise that such a place exists.

One feature remarked on by most visitors but almost unnoticed by Rarotongans is the number of tiny wild chickens which wander without hindrance wherever they choose. These fowl are too scrawny or quick to make serious contributions to cooking pots. Every morning before dawn and often in the middle of the night a chorus of cockerels starts up, with each rooster trying to outdo the other in staking their claims to territory and harems.

Maybe the only bad side of Rarotonga is, as a picture on the right shows, the many stone beaches which are not quite accessible. But, it also has many beautiful sand beaches which are very accessible and very beautiful!

Once there:
The island is a rather small one, circumventing 32km, so it is easy to get around by bike or a motorcycle, both are readily available in mainhttp://www.world66.com/australiaandpacific/cookislands/rarotonga/# areas. A nice way to start the discovery is to head towards East from Avarua.

Try Tamarind House for their splendid breakfast (coconut pancakes with banana; French toast with syrup and bacon, good lattes,..).

A good snorkeling spot is about 15km down the road by a little juice bar called "Fruits of Raro". They will guard your bag for free, but be aware - you might be tempted to try one of the delicious fruit smoothies that they prepare to charge yourself up for snorkeling!

The waterfall at the South point of the island, that is from where the drinking water comes from, is way too over-rated. If you have extra time, you can hike/drive up to see it.

The Waterfront restaurant on the West of the island offers the best sun-set views and by far the best dinners with superb ambiance. Be sure to be there already to watch the sunset, reserve a table and go down the beach to enjoy the sunset
http://www.world66.com/australiaandpacific/cookislands/rarotonga

If you're seriously interested I'll ask my wife in the morning and get back to you - she organised that one.

yea please - sounds ideal, just need to find out who to contact and costs etc...

EDIT: From your location though, I assume you flew from Oz?

Back