• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No, we went from the UK when we were still living there (in 2007)

Ah cool.

Finding out more about the sort of prices - around £1800-2000pp - that sound about right?

And the flight times, seen some quotes of 44-50hrs!?

Might be rethinking that one now if the above is right!

Ah cool.

Finding out more about the sort of prices - around £1800-2000pp - that sound about right?

And the flight times, seen some quotes of 44-50hrs!?

Might be rethinking that one now if the above is right!

Nah - about 24 hrs. Even allowing for a stop over in LA.

Mexico - Cancun. I went with my boyfriend last September.

We stayed in the Riu Cancun

It was amazing and for just over £1,000 per person for 11 nights.

It was rainy season but in 11 nights it rained twice for no more than 20 minutes then pure clear skies again.

Best holiday I have ever been on and really good value for money. Did the dolphin thing etc just all round great experience.

Last edited:
Nah - about 24 hrs. Even allowing for a stop over in LA.

Ok, thanks!

Mexico - Cancun. I went with my boyfriend last September.

We stayed in the Riu Cancun

It was amazing and for just over £1,000 per person for 11 nights.

It was rainy season but in 11 nights it rained twice for no more than 20 minutes then pure clear skies again.

Best holiday I have ever been on and really good value for money. Did the dolphin thing etc just all round great experience.

Thanks!

Isnt that a bit 'touristy' now? Looking for somewhere more remote and quiet without a load of asbo's wandering around on an all inclusive booze package!!! :D

Ok, thanks!

Thanks!

Isnt that a bit 'touristy' now? Looking for somewhere more remote and quiet without a load of asbo's wandering around on an all inclusive booze package!!! :D

Well it's not full of drunks, we didn't see any while we were there! If you go downtown you might find that but we didn't go near that bit once. You really don't need to.

Cancun is quite commerciallised but as far as the luxury of the hotel etc, it was out of this world. Plus the excursions give you the culture you might be looking for.

To be honest though there are also some quiter places in Mexico a bit further up from Cancun. As far as relaxation and a once in a lifetime experience, it definately has that.

Mauritius - Went on Honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed it, very relaxing and some lovely hotels, we hired a box at the races one day which is the oldest course in the World.

South Africa - Before we arrived in Mauritius we went on Safari and couldnt recommend it highly enough, you feel like your in a bubble, with no phones or cars just the animals and the jeeps

Grenada - One of the least built up Caribbean islands with plenty to see and do around the island, very warm and inviting people

Well it's not full of drunks, we didn't see any while we were there! If you go downtown you might find that but we didn't go near that bit once. You really don't need to.

Cancun is quite commerciallised but as far as the luxury of the hotel etc, it was out of this world. Plus the excursions give you the culture you might be looking for.

To be honest though there are also some quiter places in Mexico a bit further up from Cancun. As far as relaxation and a once in a lifetime experience, it definately has that.

Ok, cool thanks - we discussed Mexico tonight and will look into it on Saturday (going "Travel Agent Shopping" :D)

Mauritius - Went on Honeymoon and thoroughly enjoyed it, very relaxing and some lovely hotels, we hired a box at the races one day which is the oldest course in the World.

South Africa - Before we arrived in Mauritius we went on Safari and couldnt recommend it highly enough, you feel like your in a bubble, with no phones or cars just the animals and the jeeps

Grenada - One of the least built up Caribbean islands with plenty to see and do around the island, very warm and inviting people

Keep coming back to Mauritius... got a feeling that is where we will end up. Thanks for the info!

Keep coming back to Mauritius... got a feeling that is where we will end up. Thanks for the info!

I would go back tomorrow, really nice place, and things like hiring a guide and driver for the day wasn't overly expensive. We stayed at the Beau Rivage and i couldn't recommend it highly enough, but to be honest the decent hotels on the island are 5 star plus and offer a high level of service.

Now down to Mauritius or Thailand as the final two places I think.

Looking last night puts Thailand in the middle of rainy-season in September when I want to go and it looks like November is better. Anyone got any experience of this?

And hows about Mauritius? Whats the best time to go please?!

Now down to Mauritius or Thailand as the final two places I think.

Looking last night puts Thailand in the middle of rainy-season in September when I want to go and it looks like November is better. Anyone got any experience of this?

And hows about Mauritius? Whats the best time to go please?!

We went in November pb and it was glorious, we only had sunshine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/country_guides/results.shtml?tt=TT004830
This small but densely populated island consists of a series of volcanic hills rising to a height of 600-800 m/2,000-2,600 ft with a fringing coastal plain. It is situated in latitude 20°S in the Indian Ocean about 800 km/500 mi east of Madagascar.

Mauritius has a tropical oceanic climate with moderately high temperatures and humidity throughout the year. Temperatures never rise to such high levels as to be really uncomfortable or dangerous, although on occasions the nights may be rather sticky and oppressive.

Rain occurs in all months but the wettest period is from December to April. During these months tropical cyclones occasionally strike the island or pass near enough to give very heavy rainfall and violent damaging winds.

The table for Port Louis illustrates conditions at lower levels on the island. The south and southeast coasts, being exposed to the dominant southeast trade winds, receive almost twice as much rain as Port Louis and rainfall is also heavier on the higher ground inland.

Outside the main rainy season the weather is generally sunny and pleasant, with slightly lower temperatures and a strong sea breeze

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions!

We booked up today for 2 weeks in Hua Hin (Thailand) in September. Looks perfect, apart from the resort has no beach as such - but others are nearby.

Change of plan!!!

Given the trouble in Thailand, we are now changing our booking.

Been looking at Mauritius and seen a few lovely places at about the same price as Thailand. Hotels are 3 star, but from the reviews on Trip Advisor, seems they are all well under-rated and the service is excellent.

Anyone else been besides Kent Shrimper?

We are looking at either - Le Recif (Pointe Aux Piments), Le Tropical (Trou Deau Dounce) or Legends in Grand Gaube.

Any help gratefully received! :)

I've just booked 12 nights in Mauritus for the end of October.

We're at the Shandrani, which is quite near the airport. 12 nights all-inclusive (and it really is ALL-inclusive), came out at about 4,800.

Sept and October are the months to go weather-wise.

We're going over half-term (not due to having kids, it's just when our anniversary falls). We were offered 10 nights for just over 4k.

Try this web-site and see how you get on, they were very helpful even if I didn't book with them in the end.

Mauritius

We're going over half-term (not due to having kids, it's just when our anniversary falls). We were offered 10 nights for just over 4k.

Try this web-site and see how you get on, they were very helpful even if I didn't book with them in the end.

Mauritius

We have to stick with Thomas Cook though as that is who we booked Thailand with. Not keen on losing the deposit...

Back