• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are you being entertained?

• Total voters
Speaking as a season ticket holder during the delightful reigns of Alvin Martin and Alan Little, I think we're ****ing brilliant.

Well, at least the agenda succeeded in getting Paul "Cluniemore only posts when we're winning" Sturrock back on the board :winking:

Well, at least the agenda succeeded in getting Paul "Cluniemore only posts when we're winning" Sturrock back on the board :winking:
You don't think the reason he only posts when we're winning is because when we lose it's fair enough we are dissatisfied, but when we are winning matches and people are still slagging off the team you have reason to ask why we can't be happy?

Perhaps, when we are losing, he might prefer to use his time trying to get back to winning ways ?

Also saves him the trouble of reading posts by people who think they know better than he does.

We are a little League 2 club employing barely professional footballers try their best for 90 minutes. If it were non-stop entertainment then it would be a miracle. Whether the football is entertaining or not, isn't really the right question as it holds the implication that it should be possible to have an entertaining team at League 2 level, with the sort of support we get, the sort of wages we pay, and the sort of players we can attract.

Now it is possible - the Tilson era is testament to that (although we weren't anywhere near as good then as we've become with nostalgia), as are some other teams we've played over the years, especially Swansea, Sturrock's Plymouth, Blackpool and to an extent this year's Swindon team. However, the scarcity of these examples shows us that it is very, very difficult to construct an entertaining team at this level. Indeed, the implication of those who criticise our style is that other teams at this level are playing better, more entertaining stuff. Aside from Swindon, this simply isn't true, as should be evident by the standard of opposition.

So to clarify, those who nigh-on demand for more entertaining football are demanding a) something extremely rare at this level and b) something that only one other club is currently capable of (if that).

Lower your expectations, go with a sense of fun, have a few beers before the match - it'll help, I promise.

There was no such option on purpose Fred, it was a pure and simple "are you entertained ?"
I understand that. For me though, that's collecting distorted stats as it were, as if I put 'no' then it looks as if I'm not satisfied, which is very different.

I've voted YES. Partly because of the times some mediocre sides come to RH & have beaten us, shut us down/not let us play our game & somehow boringly won at the end of 90 mins. And Partly because our squad want to win/play/succeed & at times aren't fully appreciated, so I cheer & feel entertained!

Perhaps, when we are losing, he might prefer to use his time trying to get back to winning ways ?

Also saves him the trouble of reading posts by people who think they know better than he does.

peaple on here fink they know more about football than he. Cant believe that............your new group bananarama????

I want to get out of the league so I will accept whatever I see but if I had to be honest I find the football very boring. But this is league 2 and I want to get out of it.

Interestingly Sean Clohessy says in his post match interview that they have gone more direct as they were trying to pass their way out of defence and this was why we were losing games.

Agree with Clohessy/Luggy on this. You get so little time on the ball in this league that trying to play keep-ball in defence is just going to lead to errors which will lead to goals. If the defence have time to pick a pass, then pick one, but if not clearing down the sides is acceptable with the pace and height we have available. Gilbert is doing this more and not immediately hoofing the ball - better. Oh, and I am being entertained to answer the original question.

Bit like fishing, supporting our club over the years. ALWAYS go with high hopes but not always best pleased on the way home. Entertaining? Not always, but we are a modest club, so my expectations are equally modest. BUT, players with fire and attitude like Mr Mohsni will always entertain me. Anybody who saw him standing in the pouring rain, high-fiving, posing for photos and signing autographs for around 5 minutes after Saturday's win couldn't help but be entertained.

I am greatly entertained at Roots Hall every time I go, particularly when we win. Swindon played some great stuff against us recently, which while painful because we were spanked, was entertaining from a footballing perspective. With the players we've got I think Sturrck's approach is spot on. In League One we will need to step up the quality, but give it time and I believe that will happen. UTB!

Back