• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

_65372077_3c716830-9e65-4d84-88ad-a283a04078fc.jpg

Managerial records for Southampton in the Premier League. Source: Opta

The sports science thing probably goes back to the days of working with Sam Allardyce. Now there's a local connection!

Anyway I'll miss Phil Brown on 5Live's Fighting Talk on a Saturday morning and his summarising on the same station now he's gamefully employed.

Sturrock was Southampton's manager in the Premiership.

He's second in that list, behind Hoddle but above Strachan.

_65372077_3c716830-9e65-4d84-88ad-a283a04078fc.jpg

Managerial records for Southampton in the Premier League. Source: Opta

While Brown was manager at Hull (start of 08/09 season to 15/03/10):

Played: 67 (38 + 29)
Won: 13 (8 + 5)
Drew: 20 (11 + 9)
Lost: 34 (19 + 15)
GF: 66 (39 + 27)
GA: 125 (64 + 61)

Win % = 19.4%
Points/game = 0.88
Goals/game = 0.99

I said thanks to Luggy on another thread now its time to say welcome Phil ..to me prior records dont count all I care about is what you do here at Southend and while you are here lets get behind him and the boys I have reservations like everyone else but my fears do not matter all that matters is ...SUFC

Right, I see it. Blimey, blink and you miss it! Doesn't sound like he pulled up any trees there.

yeah, just second most successful manager on that list. He had trouble with the players who were a bunch of prima donnas who did not like a Scotsman coming onto their patch. Needless to say they were relegated. Sounds as though they were a bit like 11 Scott Spencers.

Change never goes down well, if we win the next three the man will be thought of by many as a magician. If he gets us to the play-offs and promoted he will be a saint! If we lose the next three and settle around 9th in the league he probably wont be here next season.

was suprised last night to hear that PS was going, suprised to hear PB may/may not be coming in. Now the potential new manager is getting stick before he's even signed the contract - wonder why that isn't suprising:smile:

And we wonder why we are in the bottom league?
The question of wherther we should have sacked Luggy has no bearing on the new guy appointed. Whether you have issues with Ron Martin - also irrelevent to a new manager.

I am disgusted that supporters are hostile to a guy who has not even started the job. If that is "SUPPORTING" - I give up!

Absolutely this. Hence why I have just asked a fellow poster to explain his comments.

How can you dislike someone so much you have never met (as far as I am aware he is not a rapist, murderer etc)? What good will come of jeering and booing OUR new manager. If you have a problem with the appointment then surely you speak to the guy that employed him.

Absolute madness.

And we wonder why we are in the bottom league?
The question of wherther we should have sacked Luggy has no bearing on the new guy appointed. Whether you have issues with Ron Martin - also irrelevent to a new manager.

I am disgusted that supporters are hostile to a guy who has not even started the job. If that is "SUPPORTING" - I give up!

I can understand your sentiment but I think you're losing perspective of the role of this site and the nature of football fans generally. ShrimperZone is a forum for discussing Southend United and its dramas on and off the pitch. The release of a current manager and the appointment of a new manager is ABSOLUTELY up for discussion and there's no point doing that if you can't discuss the pros and cons of any decisions made. Why on earth shouldn't the supporters be able to question the appointment?

From what I've seen so far anyway, most people stating their concern about the appointment are also commenting on their willingness to get behind him. That's as good an example of support as you'll possibly find.

Can't see even the slightest problem here.

To say I'm not his biggest fan is a huge understatement. From what I've seen of him, he's not the sort of bloke that you want at your club. Nevertheless, I'll still get behind him from the word go and see what he can do. There is no point jumping on his back before kick off on his first game in charge. That will be a foolish thing to do and I hope all fans can at least give the man their backing and see where it goes. Who knows, maybe he's lined up some decent additions to the squad that influenced Ron's decision? Let's reserve judgement on him before we can see what he can do.

He wasn't on anyone's shortlist. There are better local managers who would have jumped at the chance to manage a professional club.

I will support him as he is the manager, but we must have been able to do better surely?

Will you be changing your avatar? :winking:

No I quite like it. But you might have to change yours soon.

:thumbsup:

Suffering supporter for 60 years. Nothing much has really changed when you analyse it all. :thumbsup:

Back