• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question How does following Southend make you feel?

How does following Southend make you feel?

• It's a pleasure and a privilege in spite of the low points

Votes: 68 81.9%
  • It's a duty and a burden that causes me nothing but unhappiness and anger

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • I am emotionally dead and have no feelings

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Am a bottle down already and contemplating a 2nd.....bad times

Well second bottle here i come, just got a message from my brother-in-law (Gillingham) he says that Macca is definately going, either to Millwall or Ipswich, Barney is going to wherever he can and that Tilly is just about ****ed off with it all, i know most of it isn't true, but it does getyour heckles rising after the first bottle. LOL. Keep smilling Kay, we will have a team to follow this time next year, just not sure what they will be called. UTB.

The guy behind me was talking about not renewing his season ticket during the MK Dons game - a real surprise as he is a big fan and a positive person. At the end he was on his feet with the rest of us.
Whenever we feel blue (in a bad way) we should just remember Man U in the Carling Cup, last season at Stamford Bridge and even the recent last minute victories against Gillingham and the Franchise in the midst of adversity.
The highs are thrown into sharp relief by the lows and it makes them all the more memorable.

As I got older, the love is still there but more subdued, the South Bank isn't as lively as the North Bank was, but have made some good friends as I have got older.

The greater joy now is watching my son pull on his Southend shirt with pride, going over the park for a kick about, asking when he can go to another match, coming home all excited from the Rayleigh lights switch on, not to tell me the lights were good, but to get all excited about seeing Steve Tilson.

I love Southend United with all my heart[/quote]
Me old mate nothing is quite as exciting as it used to be, yep it seems a little subdued, but maybe that is because we are not 'in with the in crowd' as we used to be, or maybe it's because they are trying to 'look after' us, or maybe they are tring to leave us behind. I think you and i know differently, we really do know that it is not as exciting, or as loud, or as mischeivous as it used to be, but my friend, we will remember it as we want to, not as others want us to remember it. I have a similar joy to you, except, that i watch my son (10) and my granddaughter (8) pull on their shirts, i then watch my 2 neices (9&11) and my 4 nephews (11&13) pull on their shirts, i also love watching them as they meet the players. Adam Brrett and Alfie call me the dirty old man, i don't care, i just love to watch my team and to watch my family watch my team, i just want this team to be here for them in the future. Hey maybe you and i should meet up on a beach somewhere and remenisce, isn't that what we oldies do? Now look at your grandson and say "shoot, he will cost me £100 for a season ticket next year, now look at mine and tell me how much it will cost me. I just don't care mate, what i do care about is people who decry us for our passion. UTB

Most of the time it brings stress, worry and misery. There are however moments of pure joy, pride and elation...and those few moments make all the other times worthwhile.

This is the team I follow, on match days I get a buzz no matter how well we are doing on or off the field. Every first day off the season I have through the years called or texted friends wishing them a happy season, football is the greatest gift and I feel blessed that I support SUFC

<I just don't get how it can be "unacceptable" for us to be mediocre whilst playing a division higher than we have for most of our history.QUOTE]<

SS.
Check out the Peter Mason bible if you like but I think you'll find we've spent most of our League "history" in what was Division 3 and what is now league I (ie despite the name change)where we are now.:)

<I just don't get how it can be "unacceptable" for us to be mediocre whilst playing a division higher than we have for most of our history.QUOTE]<

SS.
Check out the Peter Mason bible if you like but I think you'll find we've spent most of our League "history" in what was Division 3 and what is now league I (ie despite the name change)where we are now.:)

Division 3 South.

Which was a combined League 1 and League 2, regionalised. I think we spent more time in the bottom half of it.

Me old mate nothing is quite as exciting as it used to be, yep it seems a little subdued, but maybe that is because we are not 'in with the in crowd' as we used to be, or maybe it's because they are trying to 'look after' us, or maybe they are tring to leave us behind. I think you and i know differently, we really do know that it is not as exciting, or as loud, or as mischeivous as it used to be, but my friend, we will remember it as we want to, not as others want us to remember it. I have a similar joy to you, except, that i watch my son (10) and my granddaughter (8) pull on their shirts, i then watch my 2 neices (9&11) and my 4 nephews (11&13) pull on their shirts, i also love watching them as they meet the players. Adam Brrett and Alfie call me the dirty old man, i don't care, i just love to watch my team and to watch my family watch my team, i just want this team to be here for them in the future. Hey maybe you and i should meet up on a beach somewhere and remenisce, isn't that what we oldies do? Now look at your grandson and say "shoot, he will cost me £100 for a season ticket next year, now look at mine and tell me how much it will cost me. I just don't care mate, what i do care about is people who decry us for our passion. UTB

I'm not that old lol and can still mix it with the best of them if need be. Sat in the West Stand last season for a game and that was like a morgue. I was jumping up and down, screaming and shouting like I was in the North Bank still...got me in a bit of trouble. Though more subdued than the 90's, I am still very vocal and animated!

Following Southend has been a part of my life for so long that it's now an integral part of my well being. Having said that, I'm not one to allow the disappointments show themselves too publicly and remain upbeat and optimistic the majority of the time.

Whether that remains the case come January, remains to be seen. It could be one of the first instances of me actually being despondant.

Sixty years through thick and thin,UTB.

When I became an exile back in 1989, we made the mistake of not keeping a pied de terre in England. Roots Hall is my home in the UK and although I know our future is FF, I will certainly shed a tear when we leave. I suppose it's a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder and being so far away make my feelings for the Blues even greater. Find it difficult to sum up the words but supporting Southend is a pleasure and a privilege as well sometimes being a burden and in the end can leave me emotionally drained. I was particularly low during the 'administration crisis' and have concerns about our future but I try and remain philosophical about it all. In the end, what can you say, supporting Southend United is so engrained in me, it's a corner stone of my life and I just couldn't imagine being with out it.

SS.

I suppose the point that I was trying to make is that we've been a basement club for the most part. You're right that it was the third tier up until the late fifties, but as YB points out it was more a matter of Football League structure than us being a bigger or better club during that period. I stand by my assertion that we're doing better on the pitch now, all things considered, than we have done for the overwhelming majority of our existence.

Hey Chaps!

I run the whole gamut of emotions: -

Angry, tumescent, moist, furious, aroused, confused, drunk, engorged, flaccid,
sweaty, limp, aggressive, flatulent and badly soiled.

Kind Regards

Yea ok, so you have covered your sex life, how do you feel about supporting Southend???

I can relate to all three options at different times. I'm certainly enjoying it now than I did before Tilson. Moments like Clarke's equaliser at Stamford Bridge last year certainly make it worth it but I'd probably still do it if we never had the good times because I do it for the love of the club rather than the hope of glory.

Can't help but think though, if I didn't spend so much money travelling the country watching SUFC, I'd probably have saved enough money for a deposit on a house...

I don't know about you guys(and gals)but at the minute I'm more than a little worried about who might be on their way in January.Barny for sure and possibly Macca too.Not Tilly or AB I hope.:O

I don't know about you guys(and gals)but at the minute I'm more than a little worried about who might be on their way in January.Barny for sure and possibly Macca too.Not Tilly or AB I hope.:O

This season is pivotal. Either the embargo is removed & new players come in or we sell Barny & Macca, assuming they won't sign new contracts and/or have had enough.

But hasn't it always been the case?
When I first started following Southend in the 70s we seemed to lose a key player every year ie Garner then Taylor then Guthrie.
Players (and managers and chairman for that matter) have always come and gone - Barny is our most important player now but he's only been here 2 years (and less than a year ago quite a few people wanted rid of him due to his fitness problems).

I'm pleasantly surprised that the vast majority who have voted on this poll share my view that, all things considered, following The Mighty Shrimpers is a pleasure and a privilege.
For me the one thing Ron Martin got 100% right in his blogs was when he said the best and worst things about SUFC are the fans.
Some of the posters on here appear so angry and unhappy all the time, I often wonder what they get out of following the club.

I absolutely love supporting Southend it gives you evey emotion possible in the World.

I'm an optimistic person, and I quite often find myself defending people on here in the face of abuse, but I do it because I love it.

I'm lucky that since I started supporting Southend, I've had more highs than lows. I've seen 2 LDV finals, back-to-back promotions, beating Man Utd, drawing with Chelsea, two trips to Spurs, play-offs, some fantastic games at Roots Hall like the 3-2 win over Luton in the FA Cup, basically the entire Tilson era and the odd highlight under the likes of Wignall and Newman.

The thing I love about Southend is when you think things are bad, like the relegation season from the Championship, our terrible Xmas form, threats of adminstration, you get an unexpected high just round the corner. During our relegation from the Championship, we had some depressing results, but then we had wins at Cardiff and Birmingham, late draws at WBA etc etc. We have had two dire spells around Xmas, then along comes a few rabbits out of the hat in January and we show promotion form. We have the threat of administration, followed by being saved and then two injury time winners in a row at Roots Hall.

Southend are superb, and I love them with all my heart. You have to go through the bad times, to appreciate the good times in my opinion, and Southend certainly provide both for us.

Back