• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

palexander

Life President
Had a good debate with my mate yesterday about Barnards worth.

Ignoring the fact he is out of contract in a few months, how good is he?

I'll start by saying despite what I put below, I do like Barnard and would rather have him in the team that not for sure!

Cons
1) Cannot hold the ball up well, normally bounces off him
2) Not particularly quick
3) Not capable of the truly spectacular (ala Eastwood/Collymore) goal out of nothing.
4) Liable of being injury prone
5) Hasnt got top drawer movement

Pros
1) In good form - is it permanent or temporary?
2) Good in the air for his height
3) Doesnt mind putting himself around
4) Willing worker
5) Good attitude

You certainly wouldnt put him in the Eastwood/Collymore class obviously, I would also put Angell and Benjamin above him.

With the form he is in, could he be likened to a Carruthers or Constantine? I.e. in a spell, looked very good front men - but couldnt sustain it.

I find it crazy personally that 'big' clubs are chasing him and some people on SZ expect him to go for around half a million!!?

My own view is that he is worth around £150,000 - £200,000 in this contract situation and if he had a couple of years left, then maybe £300,000-£400,000 absolute tops.

3) Not capable of the truly spectacular (ala Eastwood/Collymore) goal out of nothing.

2 goals against Brighton spring instantly to mind!

Ok he doesn't do as it often as Eastwood or Collymore but those 2 are in different to bracket to every other Southend striker I've seen.

I also think his movement and awareness is quite good, he often finds the space in and around the box and has a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

I tend to agree with you on a lot of that PB.

People who think we should hold out or expect £500k are clearly loonies.

He has scored 17 goals this season, the next best tally at the club is 3... he may not have anything majorly special, but he averages a goal every 2 games over his career, by hook or by crook.. he scores goals, that is his speciallity, and one we seem to find hard to come by.

He has scored 17 goals this season, the next best tally at the club is 3... he may not have anything majorly special, but he averages a goal every 2 games over his career, by hook or by crook.. he scores goals, that is his speciallity, and one we seem to find hard to come by.

I guess that is the real question how much is he worth to us NOW.

He has limited physical attributes, so I expect he will be a decent CCC striker at best. If he isn't, that's someone else's problem, not ours. The fact is he's hot property in L1 and teams who want promotion out of it would be wise investing in him. For that reason I'd like to think we should get 400k for him.

is £150k-£250k now, worth more than staying in the league. that is the question.

Can we stay in the league without Barney?

Think he lacks that spark of pace or something that would truly make him championship class and tend to agree about the first touch at times. In all as his movement is extremely good and tends to be why he scoring record is so good, i would probably say his ideal level is L1 top 6.

is £150k-£250k now, worth more than staying in the league. that is the question.

Can we stay in the league without Barney?

Thing is, if we didn't let him move, would he still give 100% every game, or would he sulk like some spoilt kid?

I think we'll know the answer to this in 4 months time after he's gone somewhere else.

(I suspect the answer is 'Very good'. To score the number of goals he has with the supply he's been working with is pretty damn awesome)

Think he lacks that spark of pace or something that would truly make him championship class and tend to agree about the first touch at times. In all as his movement is extremely good and tends to be why he scoring record is so good, i would probably say his ideal level is L1 top 6.

Thats what I said yesterday to my mate Dave. You never get that buzz of excitement when he gets the ball anywhere outside the box.

I know its not fair to keep comparing him to Eastwood/Collymore, but when they (or the team) were having a stinker, you still felt that at any time they got the ball, something could happen.

Which is why I liken him to Carruthers/Constantine - in that during a purple patch, they could find the net, but neither particularly had you on the edge of your seat.

The thing is tho, he reads the game so well and gets away from his marker in the penalty area, added to that, he is a deadly finisher in an un-creative team and always gives 100%. Can you imagine how many goals he would get in a much better team that sets him up willy nilly.
For me, taking everything into consideration, I would be gutted at anything less than 300K and would expect 400K.

The thing is you say hes worth around 200k with his contract near the end, which i think is a fair valuation. Buts its an overpriced market, january always is, you get the bigger' clubs like leeds and southampton and championship sides that will spend silly money and pay over the odds. I think we could milk a club for 500k, if we can get a decent salesmen i think we would easily get the money.

In footballing terms, not an Eastwood no and doesnt really have that ability to score a goal out of nothing, but always seems to get into decent positions and grab a goal, i think his level is about league 1 or a ****** CCC side like plymouth

The thing is tho, he reads the game so well and gets away from his marker in the penalty area, added to that, he is a deadly finisher in an un-creative team and always gives 100%. Can you imagine how many goals he would get in a much better team that sets him up willy nilly.
For me, taking everything into consideration, I would be gutted at anything less than 300K and would expect 400K.

Is he? A good finisher for sure, but deadly?

Good point about better service though and you are right. Can go the other way though, if he gets 10 chances laid on a game for him each game, then the pressure is on to put a few away - rather than scrapping in a crappy team, getting 2-3 chances and converting 1.

The thing is you say hes worth around 200k with his contract near the end, which i think is a fair valuation. Buts its an overpriced market, january always is, you get the bigger' clubs like leeds and southampton and championship sides that will spend silly money and pay over the odds. I think we could milk a club for 500k, if we can get a decent salesmen i think we would easily get the money.

In footballing terms, not an Eastwood no and doesnt really have that ability to score a goal out of nothing, but always seems to get into decent positions and grab a goal, i think his level is about league 1 or a ****** CCC side like plymouth

I personally dont think Leeds or Southampton need him, so I dont see the bidding war going that mad from them. Teams that pay over the odds will be desperate I suggest - someone like Millwall in Lg1 or Plymouth/Scunny (depending on Hoopers future) in CCC.

Does Billy Bricknell read it too ?? :whistling:

No, but Billy Bracknell does.

Barnard is a good League One striker that doesn't have the attributes to immediately succeed at a higher level than this one. He is a hard working, predatory striker that scores goals purely through hard work and good positioning.

The only thing is, Championship defenders can handle that all day long. He's not blessed with lightning pace, he's not creative and he is certainly no brick **** house... Can you imagine Barnard coming up against the likes of Chris Morgan or Steven Taylor? It's a mismatch of the highest order.

£250k would be a fair price for a good League One striker who is currently in-form, but wouldn't cut it at a higher level and is out of contract in the Summer.

I personally dont think Leeds or Southampton need him, so I dont see the bidding war going that mad from them. Teams that pay over the odds will be desperate I suggest - someone like Millwall in Lg1 or Plymouth/Scunny (depending on Hoopers future) in CCC.

Agreed, i think barney will be one of the main targets for the barnleys, plymouths, scunnys etc. of this world who are either struggling for goals or need to replace someone that will leave (Hooper)

Had a good debate with my mate yesterday about Barnards worth.

Ignoring the fact he is out of contract in a few months, how good is he?

I'll start by saying despite what I put below, I do like Barnard and would rather have him in the team that not for sure!

Cons
1) Cannot hold the ball up well, normally bounces off him
2) Not particularly quick
4) Liable of being injury prone
5) Hasnt got top drawer movement

Pros
1) In good form - is it permanent or temporary?
2) Good in the air for his height
3) Doesnt mind putting himself around
4) Willing worker
5) Good attitude

You certainly wouldnt put him in the Eastwood/Collymore class obviously, I would also put Angell and Benjamin above him.

With the form he is in, could he be likened to a Carruthers or Constantine? I.e. in a spell, looked very good front men - but couldnt sustain it.

I find it crazy personally that 'big' clubs are chasing him and some people on SZ expect him to go for around half a million!!?

My own view is that he is worth around £150,000 - £200,000 in this contract situation and if he had a couple of years left, then maybe £300,000-£400,000 absolute tops.

Of the players you list the only real comparison that can be made is Brett Angell because they're both poachers. Stan & Fred were a class above no doubt, Benji was a different kind of player and as for Carruthers & Constantine, please don't make me laugh.

So Brett Angell, in the season with us where we were at the same level as now, Brett scored 16 league goals in the entire season in promoted team. Barney so far has 15 goals in 25 league games in team that isn't exactly setting the world alight.

You say he's in good form now, but it's form that's been virtually the same his entire time with us...

0.6 goals per game this season
0.57 goals per game before this season
(league games only)

And as BrettieAngell said, he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time. I think you're being overly harsh on Barnard.

Myself I'd value him at £250k+ right now. If he was under contract for longer £450k-£600k.

Back