• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone got the stats on Carruthers/Constantines goal records with us?

Just had a quick look,

Carruthers roughly 0.3
Constantine 1 in 2.

Stats can be deceiving...

Anyone got the stats on Carruthers/Constantines goal records with us?

Just had a quick look,

Carruthers roughly 0.3
Constantine 1 in 2.

Stats can be deceiving...

That's why I quoted stats that were relevant for our level, when I compared Lee to Brett Angell.

And compared Lee Barnard's record with Lee Barnard's record, that stat does not deceive. It shows that his scoring has remained consistently good, it was only his poor injury record prior to this season that prevented him from getting more.

Last edited:
How good is Barnard? Unfortunately too many managers think like this when looking at a forward. Just look at his scoring record and he is likely to continue scoring at that rate at that level. Move him up a level and given a fair chance he will continue to score. I think too many potentially good goal poachers are ruined once they move up a league because they are expected to 'up work rate', 'track back', 'play in the hole' etc. A proven, regular goalscorer can win you the league, without one you won't. Without Barnard's contribution this season, we would almost certainly be bottom of the league.
£150K is a ridiculously low sum. We paid more than that for Billy Paynter and got nearly as much for Barry Conlon. If he goes, a replacement will be needed - maybe we have a top loanee waiting in the wings - if not we are dead.

He scores goals and works hard what more can any team ask for ? Thats why teams are looking at him after all . Think he was highly regarded at spurs but injury held him back there, would not be at all suprised to see him go on to do very well at championship level and possibly even higher .

How good is Barnard?
Possibly slightly better than was thought by the people who said this time last year that he was a drain on the wage bill and should be released asap.
These are probably the same people who are now saying we should not take anything less than a sum equivalent to the entire GDP of China for him.
Though of course if we do turn down offers and he walks at the end of the season, the same people will demand to know why he wasn't sold in Janaury.
The beauty of being constantly negative is that you're never wrong, you just move on to the next thing to be negative about.

Last edited:
Is he? A good finisher for sure, but deadly?
How many times can you think of, where Barney's had a chance and he hasn't scored. Not many I would wager. In fact the only one I can think of of the top of my head this season, was when we played Hartlepool and he shot past the far post from about 15 yards. Invariably he hits the target, and makes the keeper work.

There are so many pros to Barneys game, he is actually quality:

1) Goalscorer
2) One of the best penalty takers I have ever seen
3) Cool under presure
4) Great footballing brain
5) Good attitude
6) Loves the game
7) Loves the club?

Generally a fantastic player, and has been since day 1 with us

Anyone who scores as many goals as he has for a team like ours must be doing something right.

There are so many pros to Barneys game, he is actually quality:

1) Goalscorer
2) One of the best penalty takers I have ever seen
3) Cool under presure
4) Great footballing brain
5) Good attitude
6) Loves the game
7) Loves the club?

Generally a fantastic player, and has been since day 1 with us

Agree with all of that and he was highly regarded at Spurs. Good movement off the ball and has a good workrate. To score this many goals in a team with limited creativity speaks volumes, and people will realise how good he was when he is gone and is replaced by walker etc. He gets himself in so many good positions.

Think he would be a good CCC player, though if you look at it, Eastwood didn't make the step up particularly well what is to say Barney can?

One of the best players at the club and with his workrate and quality up front he will be sorely missed.

Please stay lee!

And i think his form is sustainable. If not for injuries last year he would have scored far more and still ended up our top scorer!

And i think his form is sustainable. If not for injuries last year he would have scored far more and still ended up our top scorer!

Yep he was stop start last season and still managed 11 goals an extended run like he has had this season and he would have scored more!

There are not many players with Barney's goalscoring record at our level. Especially from a poor team creatively that has one way of winning - ie if Barney scores, so it should be quite easy to stop us by marking him. But despite that, his scoring record is still excellent.

What's his value? Quite high, I'd say, and anything less than £500,000 for a player of Barney's talents would show it was an act of desperation because of the money situation. (£500,000 purely because of his other failings - injuries, unproven at Championship level or above, etc. Otherwise it would be much more.)

His value is all down to supply and demand. Normally it would be diminished by there being only 6 months left on his contract. People may ask why Leeds, Southampton or whoever would bid £500,000 for a player with only 6 months left on his contract? Simple - it's not about how long he's got on his contract; it's about how many clubs want a proven striker in the prime of his career, and how many proven strikers there are. We know from what Tilly's said before that every club's fans demand that their manager signs proven strikers, but they're not exactly growing on trees.

Lots of potential clubs interested; very few proven strikers at this level. If we can't generate a bidding war for £500,000 or more, something will be seriously wrong. Especially when you consider who else has moved around for about the £200k mark.

This is not a Peter Clarke situation, where we had a mediocre centre-half who flattered to deceive and no one came in for him until his contract ran out. Why would someone pay big sums when there were lots of other better ones around? How many other centre-halves have WE had (let alone anyone else) who have played for us alone in the last 2 years who are no worse than Clarke?

However, how many goal-scoring centre-forwards (arguably the most valued position) are there with Barney's record?

The club has to sell him in January because of his contract situation, but we should be playing off all the bidders against each other and getting a decent price for him. Whether Tilly sees any of the money that we get for Barney is another matter of course, but I'd still want the club to get a far better price than is being suggested at the moment.

I still don't think his all round play is good enough, although I do seem to be in the minority. He does have a touch of the Constantine about him. He offers little generally, but he does have a knack of putting the ball in the back of the net. This is why, in my opinion anyway, a Championship club haven't even thought about coming in for him.

If certain other players actually bothered to take some responsibility and we shared some goals around the team rather than relying on one man, I don't think we'll miss him as much as some people seem to think. He's no Freddy to be honest.

The club has to sell him in January because of his contract situation, but we should be playing off all the bidders against each other and getting a decent price for him. Whether Tilly sees any of the money that we get for Barney is another matter of course, but I'd still want the club to get a far better price than is being suggested at the moment.

And if they all bid 200k ?

How good is Lee Barnard?

The answer to this debate will be a long hard battle to stay in the division without him.
Just a point but were we not talking about Millwall offering 400k for both Barney and Macca the other day? If Leeds and the like are offering 150 - 175 for Lee then I presume Millwall were going to do the same which would mean Macca would be valued at up to 250k ! Bet no one would be too unhappy to say goodbye to him for quarter of a mill! well maybe one person...

Back