• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How should I improve my batting?

MrB

Life President
You may or may not have noticed it but I need to improve my batting somewhat….

With the new season only a few weeks away, I need to start planning how I'm going to do it. As it stands I will be using 5 nets at the start of next season, 2 bat, 1 field & 1 stamina on Cunningham and a single bowling net on Sutherland. Obviously my focus is to make Cunningham my star bat, he'll be remarkable soon which will make him my best anyway but he'll be double netted for the next two seasons which should make him around Exquisite.

I'm now wondering how to go about filling the other gaps. My intention long term is to line up as follows:

1. Cunningham
2. ???
3. ???
4. Saj (remarkable/quality)
5. Curtis (remarkable/strong)
6. Cook (superb/quality)
7. Askew (proficient/exceptional) - WK
8. Maymann (strong/competent) - Captain

So really I need to fill two batting slots however I'm loathe to single net two players as it will take an age to get them to the standard I need however double netting two will mean I can't do much with the remaining players stamina. I'm thinking of double netting one player with fielding which would leave me 2 fitness nets to dish around the team but it's still going to leave me light in batting when I hopefully get to III at the end of next season. Another option is to train a new WK to replace Askew, could stick them on 2 bat, 1 WK & 1 field and retain Askew as a WK until he overtakes him.

Any suggestions? Preferably ones that don't involve me selling any bowlers…..

Buy better batsmen

Now seriously, how much money have you got to spend?

Would it be better to buy two 17 now/18 year olds at the start of the season who've been trained to high Prof/Strong and single net both of them.

Last edited:
I have the same dilemma but barely any nets to use! And i only have 2 million. So im going to be waiting a while!

:D

Now seriously, how much money have you got to spend?

Would it be better to buy two 17 now/18 year olds at the start of the season who've been trained to high Prof/Strong and single net both of them.
I have the bare minimum £1.6m to get interest and I don't really want to drop below that. I'd probably look to buy low respectables at the start of next season at around the £400k mark. Problem with 17yo proficients is that they go at well over £1m and I have no sellable assets to fund that.

Must admit I'm a bit tempted to go for this guy and 5 net him for two seasons:

Leighton Parker (1431575)
RH Batsman, RM Bowler, competent batting form, mediocre bowling form, fresh
A cautious player with superb leadership skills and abysmal experience.

Plays For: Lammack County Lions
Nationality: England
Battrick Rating: 6,564
Wages: £1,491 p/w

Stamina: woeful Wicket Keeping: worthless
Batting: respectable Concentration: mediocre
Bowling: respectable Consistency: feeble
Fielding: worthless

Could then sell Mushy or Hot Rod and strengthen the batting. If I'm realistic I probably don't need to have a bowling attack that strong if I'm in IV next season!

I like this thread, I can show off my batting, in about three seasons,

1. Bartlett (Remarkable/Elite) (27)
2. Sugden (Remarkable/Sensational) (27)
3. ???
4. Drury (Sensational/Exceptional) (25)
5. Barnett (Wonderful/Sensational/WK Wonderful) (21)
6. ???
7. Gamage (Wonderful/Sensational) (AR1) (24)
8. Boateng (Strong/Respectable) (AR2)(25)

Last edited:
My batting line-up is **** B, so dont worry. I've 3 remarkables and 3 proficients really, that's about it. I'm in the same dilemma, need 2 more batsmen. I'll have just 3/4 nets, which is a bugger. My side has really stagnated recently because of some rubbish decisions made 2-3 seasons ago, and poor YPs.

Get 2 17 y/o batsmen next season, give them both 2 batting nets and use the spare for stamina. These two could be strong/superb by the time they're 18, which by then they can slot in the team comfortably down the order, and you can reduce them to a single net.

Your bowling is comfortably good enough in IV anyway so you could sell one of them, replace them with a lesser player and buy a new batsman. Either way, you have numerous options which many other sides (like my own) don't have.

I want to do the 2 batsmen training idea next season, but if YPs are not favourable I'll struggle to do so with a lack of funds.

To get decent batting you have the option of training up talent or buying it up. It'll take 2 or 3 seasons to train up someone, even on double nets.

Its probably worth training up a 17yo from the start of the forthcoming season, with a view on 3 seasons time, but in the meantime I'd also be looking to train players up just to sell.

Have decided that there's no real way of making a sudden batting improvement so I'm going to get myself 3 youngsters and single net them for future sale. Cash raised plus profit from gates/interest should see me get enough to buy a new chap once I'm up in III.

maybe u'll be lucky and pulll a proficient/resp in week one!... im hoping to pull a bowler of that stature! if not ill try again week 2 and week 3!

I doubt it, 3 high respectables last season seemed to use all my luck up. Haven't had a single sellable player this season, even with ITS's!

That said, a nice Week 1 pull would make my planning a hell of a lot easier!

Do you mean the SZ Cup stuff? I just do it in Excel but am looking to rustle up a more effective database shortly.

Oh right, I use the Visual Designs Excel sheet to check training changes on a Monday, though with all the changes highlighted on the squad page now that's kind of redundant. I then track the player's training progress in another rudimentary excel spreadsheet. Nothing fancy here!

Back