• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hunt racially abused on Sat

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 07 2005,20:09)]But that wasn't racial abuse, not that I heard at any rate.  You can harangue a player for what he has or has not done.  But you can't - and I don't think we did - abuse someone for what he is.  Big difference, IMHO.

rock.gif

Matt
Unless he is David Speedie of course.....

.....*******!

tounge.gif

Or if he is a Col Utd player.........

........I'm begining to see a rather large whole in your argument here Matt. Hope your professional advice is more sound!

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Mar. 07 2005,20:22)]Or if he is a Col Utd player.........

........I'm begining to see a rather large whole in your argument here Matt. Hope your professional advice is more sound!

wink.gif
My arguments are wholly better than your spelling, old boy. Being a Col Ewe player is not something one "is" - in that it is not the essence of who they are.

What they have done, however, is that they've signed for the Ewes - for which, of course, they should be pilloried...

biggrin.gif

Matt

Disagree Matt. If you get called a fat bastid at work or in the pub, etc, you can usually laugh it off or say something back. How would you feel, however, if you were continually called a rapist by a group of people for an hour or so?

I think there's a big difference there. Especially as Agogo was acquitted .....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 07 2005,20:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Mar. 07 2005,20:22)]Or if he is a Col Utd player.........

wink.gif
My arguments are wholly  better than your spelling, old boy.  Being a Col Ewe player is not something one "is" - in that it is not the essence of who they are.

What they have done, however, is that they've signed for the Ewes - for which, of course, they should be pilloried...

biggrin.gif

Matt
Spelling my arse......I've become lazy in that I rely on Word spell check all day
tounge.gif

I disagree on your other point, if you are a Ewes player then you become, in essence, inter-bred halfwit scum. So I believe my argument stands m'lud!

wink.gif

I read in an interview in Four Four Two magazine with Thierry Henry a comment that seems to be very relevant in light of this.

"Hate me for the colour of my shirt, not my skin" or something along those lines.

Racial abuse makes me feel quite sick inside to be honest, and I personally feel disgusted by this sort of behaviour.

I wasnt at Chester so I wont comment on that bit of this discussion.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 07 2005,20:16)]You can always make an exception for people who are short, aggressive and annoying, that said...

tounge.gif
laugh.gif
Steve Claridge?
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

I am sure that I am going to get a slatting for this. I in no way atall condone racist chanting. When a player plays for Southend I am oblivious to colour - All I see is the blue shirt.

I do however see so harm in abusing a away player for being fat,ginger,ugly,etc etc and to the same degree a rapist be it proven or not.

Graeme Le Saux was called a queer for years despite the fact that he was clearly married with kids. The abuse often isnt relivant to the player but does give the crowd a release and may put off the opposition player both of which I feel are par for the course.

If the player cannot take abuse (bar racial) then for my mind they should not be putting themselves in the public eye and should get an office job for example where they are more likely to be excepted.

Football is a passionate game and emotions do run high. In the same way they are more than willing to accept the hero adulation that we in our jobs will never recieve they must to take abuse which we could would never get either..Swings and roundabouts.

Cue the abuse

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fiftyone @ Mar. 07 2005,21:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 07 2005,20:16)]You can always make an exception for people who are short, aggressive and annoying, that said...

tounge.gif
laugh.gif
Steve Claridge?
rock.gif
biggrin.gif
A certain M. Williamson fits that description. Jimmy Aggrey will testify to this if necessary!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Mar. 07 2005,23:24)]If the player cannot take abuse (bar racial) then for my mind they should not be putting themselves in the public eye and should get an office job for example where they are more likely to be excepted.

Football is a passionate game and emotions do run high. In the same way they are more than willing to accept the hero adulation that we in our jobs will never recieve they must to take abuse which we could would never get either..Swings and roundabouts.

Cue the abuse
Being "non racial" I can only assume you thought the Chesterfield fans "where's your brother gone" chants at Darryl Flahavan where par for the course then.

Just because you are part of a football crowd doesn't give you the right to act like a yob.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Mar. 08 2005,08:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Mar. 07 2005,23:24)]If the player cannot take abuse (bar racial) then for my mind they should not be putting themselves in the public eye and should get an office job for example where they are more likely to be excepted.

Cue the abuse
Being "non racial" I can only assume you thought the Chesterfield fans "where's your brother gone" chants at Darryl Flahavan where par for the course then.

Just because you are part of a football crowd doesn't give you the right to act like a yob.
Now that is sick

ghostface.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Mar. 08 2005,09:44)]Being "non racial" I can only assume you thought the Chesterfield fans "where's your brother gone" chants at Darryl Flahavan where par for the course then.
Did they really chant that?

If so, the individuals involved are a disgrace. Amazing that foul language and racist chants can be punished, but this kind of thing can't.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Amazing that foul language and racist chants can be punished, but this kind of thing can't.
racisim is more of a wide targeted insult you call sombody a black whatever and you are insulting more then one person!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Mar. 08 2005,08:44)]
[b said:

Cue the abuse

I chanted Agogo was a Rapist.

I feel sick to hear fans abusing flavs brother.

I would probably chant wheres your brother/mother/cat gone to an opposing fan (Although knowing it is wrong)

I would never chant racism.

However no one wants to be abused, but in my mind racism is an attack on the person rather than the situation that has effected the person, is that my way of justifying it?

Is it becuase there are levels of acceptance or is there a fine line between what is an acceptable chant and not

Oh i dont know too deep for a tuesday morning when my arse is starting to creek thinking about tonight
wow.gif

It is a fine line. Is there any difference between abusing someone because they're ginger and if they're black? Looking at Matt's argument, no- they both "are" that way, yet, one is inherently more acceptable. What if a Jewish opposition player got abused? Is that racist? Or just anti-semitic? The new Government laws say that such abuse is now a criminal action- can coppers actually go into a ground and arrest people for shouting abuse? What if there's more than one person doing it?

There's a lot of grey areas, and I defy anyone not to get swept up in the passion of the moment, like dave pointed out, football's a passionate game.

But I think the absolute limit is racist abuse, when it extends to colour.

down.gif
down.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 08 2005,09:28)]It is a fine line. Is there any difference between abusing someone because they're ginger and if they're black? Looking at Matt's argument, no- they both "are" that way, yet, one is inherently more acceptable. What if a Jewish opposition player got abused? Is that racist? Or just anti-semitic? The new Government laws say that such abuse is now a criminal action- can coppers actually go into a ground and arrest people for shouting abuse? What if there's more than one person doing it?

There's a lot of grey areas, and I defy anyone not to get swept up in the passion of the moment, like dave pointed out, football's a passionate game.

down.gif

down.gif
I remember the day's in the old terraced West Bank when a blakc player got the ball, i would say at leasy half of the stand chanted monkey noises and gave the poor fella plenty of stick.

I think its a bit of of order myself to be honest by i think all this anti racism malarky ie: those gay wristbands and t shirts only bring the issue to light when i don;t think in this day and age it was a problem. Obviousley there will always be one or two that have a dig but you will never stop that, as long as its not widespread like it was in the 80's then there isn't a problem in my eyes but bringing it all up again is just making it worse.

I cannot condone racism but surely the fact that Hunt has reacted to it the racist has got what he wanted. I feel sure the problem will go away quicker when grown men ignore the racist behaviour instead of reacting and making it an issue beyond its need. its just a shame that some still find it necessary or amusing to be racist.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Barry the dog @ Mar. 08 2005,09:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Mar. 08 2005,09:28)]It is a fine line. Is there any difference between abusing someone because they're ginger and if they're black? Looking at Matt's argument, no- they both "are" that way, yet, one is inherently more acceptable. What if a Jewish opposition player got abused? Is that racist? Or just anti-semitic? The new Government laws say that such abuse is now a criminal action- can coppers actually go into a ground and arrest people for shouting abuse? What if there's more than one person doing it?

down.gif

down.gif
I remember the day's in the old terraced West Bank when a blakc player got the ball, i would say at leasy half of the stand chanted monkey noises and gave the poor fella plenty of stick.

I think its a bit of of order myself to be honest by i think all this anti racism malarky ie: those gay wristbands and t shirts only bring the issue to light when i don;t think in this day and age it was a problem. Obviousley there will always be one or two that have a dig but you will never stop that, as long as its not widespread like it was in the 80's then there isn't a problem in my eyes but bringing it all up again is just making it worse.
I can see what you mean re the wristbands. Lots of kids wearing the anti-bullying wristbands were bullied because of that.

biggrin.gif

On a serious note- if it is just one or two, that's still one or two too many- and yes, it brings it out in the open- but these people need to be identified and kicked out of the game they love- thats the only punishment that will work.

I know it's not as widespread as it once was- more black players has helped that- ask fans who their best ever eleven was and a few of those will be black.

But there's always the few spoiling it for the many- whether it's Spain or some bloke at Chester.

Back