• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hmmm Grandad was a Spammer and Dad was a Mackam, Southend came along because my Dad worked there so it would probably be (shudders) the Spammers. Thats it im off for a lie down, thats made me feel very unwell.

Would all depend on my Dad, as I support Southend as a result of his influence, so whoever he had gone for as a child if there were no SUFC

For me - it would be West Ham. The hatred of West Ham has always puzzled me down the years, I mean Col Ewe, Orient and now Dagenham are surely more of a rival to us?!?!

I grew up in East London for my very younger years, moved to Southend in 1990. Watched West Ham and Dagenham a couple of games a season with my family when I was younger but my first visit to Roots Hall stole my heart for some crazy reason - in hindsight, I wouldn't have it any other way. You get so much more pleasure from a club of Southend's size and by supporting your local team. Met some great people following the Blues (and many wally's too).

As much as some wouldn't like to hear it, I still like to see West Ham do well, at least they are not a club ruined by the latest Russian or Sheikh billionaire, in fact I am going tomorrow (freebie) as many mates, 'football friends' and work colleagues are all West Ham STH.

You dont see many Col U/Orient/Daggers fans walking around Southend in their shirts, nor do they open shops in the town and actively try to pull in fans from our area.

West Ham will always be a sticking point simply because there are so many of them around Southend following the migration of people from that area.

No Southend United? Then i would have no interest in Football + probably follow Bangladesh playing Kabaddi instead

Agreed - Saw some people practising kabaddi on the beach at Cromer a few months back. Brought back happy memories of watching it on Channel 4 many years ago. Much better than football if SUFC were no longer here.

For me - it would be West Ham. The hatred of West Ham has always puzzled me down the years, I mean Col Ewe, Orient and now Dagenham are surely more of a rival to us?!?!

I grew up in East London for my very younger years, moved to Southend in 1990. Watched West Ham and Dagenham a couple of games a season with my family when I was younger but my first visit to Roots Hall stole my heart for some crazy reason - in hindsight, I wouldn't have it any other way. You get so much more pleasure from a club of Southend's size and by supporting your local team. Met some great people following the Blues (and many wally's too).

As much as some wouldn't like to hear it, I still like to see West Ham do well, at least they are not a club ruined by the latest Russian or Sheikh billionaire, in fact I am going tomorrow (freebie) as many mates, 'football friends' and work colleagues are all West Ham STH.

I didn't know a single Col Ewe* or Orient fan growing up, whereas there were more W*** H** fans than Southend fans at school. Only ever seen Col Ewe or Orient shirts in Southend High Street when Southend were playing them. Never been bored to tears by an Orient or Col Ewe fan going on about "the academy of football", how they knew the Krays or what a gent Bobby Moore was.

If any club had to go bust, it would be praying it would be W*** H** every single time.

It would be fantastic news for Southend United.

*Up until about 2005 I think I'd met as many unicorns as Col Ewe fans.

To answer the original question, Essex CCC.

Nonsense! You'd still be drawn to a football club in this (unthinkable) Universe where SUFC doesn't exist.

Not sure if I would.

Club football outside of Southend United barely registers on my radar these days.

I expect it would be like rugby where not having a local team to follow I don't have a club I support and I just watch England games.

Not sure if I would.

Club football outside of Southend United barely registers on my radar these days.

I expect it would be like rugby where not having a local team to follow I don't have a club I support and I just watch England games.

That is because your full interest is held with SUFC. If they had never existed you would have been drawn to a club because you love football and the thought of SUFC would never have been in your head.

My old man was from Walthamstow and tried to make me a Spurs fan, In the 70's we used to watch Southend friday nights and Spurs on Saturdays, those were the days when it was cheap to go watch football...

I can confirm that. In the early 70's when we used to play most home games on a friday night, we all used to go to a game in London on the saturday. Obviously it was quite cheap in those days, and we could bunk the train fares to London for 10-30 pence (i kid you not!). The North Banks favourite 2nd teams, in order, were West Ham, Chelsea and Spurs. Hardly anyone local back then, supported Arsenal.

Chelsea for me - Its the first divsion team I supported as a kid (you had to pick one didnt you)- in fact the first Southend match I saw was them play Chelsea at the Hall in the early 70's (anyone know when that game was?) - But I went in as a Chelsea fan and came out as a Southend fan (to this very day...)
/QUOTE]

Sept 1972 League Cup 2nd round. We lost 0-1, but should have won by several goals. Shehannigans were going on after the game up Victoria Avenue and in the High Street for a good hour. Over 22,000 in attendance.

I didn't know a single Col Ewe* or Orient fan growing up, whereas there were more W*** H** fans than Southend fans at school. Only ever seen Col Ewe or Orient shirts in Southend High Street when Southend were playing them. Never been bored to tears by an Orient or Col Ewe fan going on about "the academy of football", how they knew the Krays or what a gent Bobby Moore was.

Did you not see Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool and Man Utd kits too? Plenty during my years

Chelsea for me - Its the first divsion team I supported as a kid (you had to pick one didnt you)- in fact the first Southend match I saw was them play Chelsea at the Hall in the early 70's (anyone know when that game was?) - But I went in as a Chelsea fan and came out as a Southend fan (to this very day...)

Sept 1972 League Cup 2nd round. We lost 0-1, but should have won by several goals. Shehannigans were going on after the game up Victoria Avenue and in the High Street for a good hour. Over 22,000 in attendance.

Highlight for me was Terry Johnson nutmegging Chopper Harris and leaving him on his backside while he raced off down the wing.

Probably a local side like Southend Manor, Canvey Island or Great Wakering Rovers.

Back