• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ignore the table for a minute

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Jan. 17 2005,08:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Jan. 16 2005,20:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Jan. 16 2005,15:31)]... "prepared" pitches have a long and dis-honourable history in football and do give home teams an edge.
... which one would expect. So why on earth Boston United are being labelled as cheats is beyond logical reason.

WS
Mike they cheated their way into the league from the conference, with irregular payments to enduce players to join them. By the time the league woke upto this Boston were up and on the following seasons fixture list. So Evans their manager was banned and has been allowed back only recently, so they would get my vote along with Swansea because their Welsh and shouldn't be in the English league in the first place along with Wrexham and Cardiff.
Yes, yes, I know all this.

But wasn't the original claim about Boston cheating by putting sand down on their pitch?!

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Jan. 16 2005,10:18)]As for others, the almost religious mantra that sweeps through the pub each week calling for another defeat of MK Franchise Scum Dons is getting louder and louder. Hopefully divine intervention will ensure that this team is relegated to the basement and, with any luck, disappears straight through into the non-league pyramid, passed at some point by the good ship AFC Wimbledon, with their merry fans waving gleefully from the railings, as they sail up through the system.

WS
maybe but I still like to see them beat the scum 2-0

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Jan. 17 2005,10:14)]But wasn't the original claim about Boston cheating by putting sand down on their pitch?!

WS
precisely they have previous....exhibit one Evans is in charge again....so if his guilty of bribery a truck load of sand on the pitch is minor league for him....
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Jan. 17 2005,11:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Jan. 17 2005,10:14)]But wasn't the original claim about Boston cheating by putting sand down on their pitch?!

WS
precisely they have previous....exhibit one Evans is in charge again....so if his guilty of bribery a truck load of sand on the pitch is minor league for him....
biggrin.gif
So did I imagine the long ridges in the pitch 2 years ago that caused problems with uneven bounces ?
The only time we played them on a good surface (last year) we absolutely played them off the park, so I am convinced the sand was only to stop us playing our natural slick passing game.

Rushden - Never really liked them, always seem like a club who don't have much of a support, and now they are struggling they can't even get 3000 through the gate, also live off of somebody elses money and are screwed as soon as he leaves

Two clubs i hope get out of trouble are Kiddy as its one of the best away days in the league, and Cambridge, which is a nice short journey we often get on boxing day or bank holidays.

Therefore my second nomination is Notts County.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HUMBLEPIE @ Jan. 17 2005,11:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Jan. 17 2005,10:14)]But wasn't the original claim about Boston cheating by putting sand down on their pitch?!

WS
biggrin.gif
Evans knew we were a decent passing team. By putting sand down he knew passing the ball would be an impossibility, and it was. Played right to their hoof ball strengths and indeed this is how they got their first goal.

By the way, the sand didn't look like the normal stuff that's put on pitches - was very course hence the unpredictable bounces.

One of the requirements of being a league team must be to invest a certain amount in your pitch (most teams do, why not Boston?) so that entertaining proper passing football is at least a possibility. If not, we're just going to get long ball physical games as we did last Wednesday. If that's the case, might as well go and watch Sunday league stuff and save £15 a week.

Well I'd like to see neither Cambridge nor Shrewsbury get relegated. Cambridge is easy to get to and not too shabby viewing from the away stand. I've only been to Shrewsbury four times but (other than the weather this season) I've never had a bad day out. Their fan base deserves more than what they currently offer.

My two choices would be:  

Macclesfield. sh*t ground, sh*t fans, sh*t town not deserving of football league status.

Chester. Solely based on the game at the Hall this season. A club with that attitude surely does not deserve Football League status.

If that's too harsh on Chester then I'll replace them with Sc**thorpe who I am convinced are one of our bogey teams but I don't have the stats to prove it.

I liked Shrewsbury (again, in spite of the weather). Very quaint town, traditional lower league stadium and a good chance of a win
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Jan. 17 2005,13:37)]Macclesfield. sh*t ground, sh*t fans, sh*t town not deserving of football league status.
Yep they'd get my vote along with:-

Lincoln - I just hate going to Sincil Bank, the town appears to be inhabited by the weirdest freaks known to man and rhe ground is a pile of sh*te.

I wonder how many of you will call Boston cheats when they beat the Swans on Saturday and we win at Mansfield.

Fans!

never can make their minds up!
tounge.gif

Problem is, if Swansea get anything more than a defeat, we'll have the moral high ground but the league-table low ground.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 17 2005,23:19)]Problem is, if Swansea get anything more than a defeat, we'll have the moral high ground but the league-table low ground.
... but it'll make our visit to the Vetch more interesting!
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Jan. 17 2005,23:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 17 2005,23:19)]Problem is, if Swansea get anything more than a defeat, we'll have the moral high ground but the league-table low ground.
... but it'll make our visit to the Vetch more interesting!
wink.gif
Or 'Sandy Vetch' as they may rename it for that game...

ghostface.gif

I seem to remember county crickets clubs being deducted points for ' preparing ' pitches, so why not football clubs?
rock.gif

Back