• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm in a quandary - what would you lot do?

Thanks guys. You are all of co**** quite right, football and SUFC isn't the be all and end all. As for the prospects of a job to come back to should it all go wrong, well, in all seriousness that is something that I'm determined to put to the back of my mind. Call that a cavalier attitude if you wish but I'm not one to worry about 'Ifs and buts'. As some of you have said, if I don't do it I could well end up regretting it for the rest of my life.

I have 7 years previous experience in the restaurant trade as a waiter and flambe chef and should the building trade out there not be my cup of tea I'm assured there is no shortage of work for someone within those areas of work.

As I said previously I have two trips out there planned shortly to have a gander at the lifestyle, living etc and at the moment there really isn't that much of a hurry. The thing that's swaying the decision for me is that I cannot really stomach another 10 to 20 years of my working life in this country with the direction it's taking.

I have 7 years previous experience in the restaurant trade as a waiter and flambe chef and should the building trade out there not be my cup of tea I'm assured there is no shortage of work for someone within those areas of work.

Be very, very careful of people who make these sort of assurances. Certainly on the Costa Blanca and on the Costa del Sol there IS a shortage of work and there might be up to 30 or 40 applications for one job in the bar / restaurant trade. Speaking Spanish lifts you to the top of that pile, even in an expat area where one might think that language is not a problem as it's amazing how many Spanish actually like to 'experience' the infamous "Brit bar" culture.

Go for it!

If Southend United is the only thing keeping you here, then you should definitely give it a shot.

Hand your front door keys to a letting agent and then, whatever happens out there, you'll be making money back here.

You don't want to find yourself sat in the South Upper one Saturday afternoon watching a dire 0-0 in League One and wondering what might have been!

Be very, very careful of people who make these sort of assurances. Certainly on the Costa Blanca and on the Costa del Sol there IS a shortage of work and there might be up to 30 or 40 applications for one job in the bar / restaurant trade. Speaking Spanish lifts you to the top of that pile, even in an expat area where one might think that language is not a problem as it's amazing how many Spanish actually like to 'experience' the infamous "Brit bar" culture.

I fully understand that Mike and as you say it's only what I've been told and thats something I'll have to look into in the coming months on my trips over there.

I think a gander at Amazon for some Spanish language teaching CD's is called for ;)

If you go and its ****, well at least you will have found out. If you stay and sit on this forum 10 years from now posting threads like "there was a time when I was offered a job in Spain but didnt take it" then you would have never known what it was like.

Football is a great game, but when you go to a match how much of 90 minutes is actually exciting? Take the palace game, 3 or 4 times we nearly scored, thats exciting, 3 or 4 times the ref made a **** decision so you can shout at him, and we let in one goal which is depressing. We lose the game and its a massive downer all the way home. The reason we all go is becasue we never really know what will happen and thats how you will feel if you dont give Spain a try.

>>Thanks guys. You are all of co**** quite right, <<

Sorry to side track but this has to be the most ridiculouse piece of "swear filtering" the lad spells course. the other way , with an a and it gets ***'d out . Can the Mods do anything about this ?

so what direction is this country taking then?? if you cannot stand the fire get out of the kitchen. the problem with the race issue, is that to the public face ie this forum, some people are full of, "the bnp are disgusting racists" and "how we should all get along and we are multicultural" whereas the reality is that they are opening the back door to escape as they cannot stand what has become of this country due to immigration. FACT

so what direction is this country taking then?? if you cannot stand the fire get out of the kitchen. the problem with the race issue, is that to the public face ie this forum, some people are full of, "the bnp are disgusting racists" and "how we should all get along and we are multicultural" whereas the reality is that they are opening the back door to escape as they cannot stand what has become of this country due to immigration. FACT

I thought he just fancied a bit of sun.

It is NOT fact. Your very, very simple mind has come to that incorrect conclusion. If you really want a reason why I left the country, I can come up with many, but immigration and race are NOT included. I'd be somewhat hypocritical if I did complain about immigration, seeing as I am an immigrant myself. If anything, your little racist tirades on this forum have convinced me even more that I've made the right choice; it's not the "ethnics" that are the problem; it's people like you, Dave, whipping up unfounded xenophobic hysteria. If people like you are the future of the United Kingdom then I'm best out of it. It's being systematically destroyed by the political correctness culture at the moment; far-right counteraction seems the next logicial step.

:fart:

Not fact. It's your opinion.

I'd like at some point to work abroad. I spent my life growing up in different parts of the world - and if anything, it taught me only how skin colour is a huge bloody irrelevance.

Most people go overseas to broaden their minds. Looks like you could do with broadening yours.

Matt

You just can't help yourself can you? Who the hell asked you to bring the race issue into this thread?
I said I didn't like the way in which this country was heading. I didn't mention race once in my original post. Your assumption that my dissatisfaction with this country was in any way race orientated sadly says far far more about you than it does me.

If you haven't got anything constructive to say on the thread topic may I suggest you keep your assumptions to yourself and keep it zipped.

Does anyone else think that TWMLT has a worrying obsession with race? I think over the past week he has achieved as much for the British National Party as Gerald Ratner did for the jewellery chain ...

Does anyone else think that TWMLT has a worrying obsession with race? I think over the past week he has achieved as much for the British National Party as Gerald Ratner did for the jewellery chain ...
Totally agree, on the other thread there is 'if the BNP, cleaned up there image'
part'...

Can't polish a **** Callan, however the BNP thing has been done to death so....

I'd love to live in the sun, enjoying the Medditeranean lifestyle. If those 6 numbers come up, I've already built my bistro in Tuscany ;oD

Last edited:
Can't polish a **** Callan, however the BNP thing has been done to death so....

I'd love to live in the sun, enjoying the Medditeranean lifestyle. If those 6 numbers come up, I've already built my bistro in Tuscany ;oD

If I landed myself a load of money or a job working freelance, I'd be over to live in Vancouver and Whistler quicker than you can say fukeneh.

Snowy winters and warm summers. Sounds pretty good to me.

....and looking at that last point, i expect my answer in the position you find yourself, would be a fairly solid yes.

Then again, I don't have any real family commitments.

Back