• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond - Are you?

• Total voters
I all ready have.

In the spirit of what Cricko has asked for, I decided not to reply to your nonsense about PB.....He has long gone and its time for some of you to move on.

Does he fancy coming back?

Thought you didn’t want to discuss PB because he’s long gone. Hypocrisy at its best.

Amsemp was asking about the future not the past.

Don't take this the wrong way but as a fairly new poster I can assure you the Brown debate has been done to death over 100 threads. Its now like Brexit whatever camp your in no post will change your mind.

Even the popular myths have all been explained so lets all focus on the next 8 days because we have two vital league games and we are bang in the middle of our longest league cup run in living memory.....Get aboard enjoy the ride

I’m really surprised that a lot of you in one breath will praise the new signings he’s made and in the next you’ll say how clueless he is. I’m not sure he can be both?

You’ve surely got to put two and two together and accept it’ll take a bit of time.

Starting with tomorrow’s 3-1 win.

Been thinking about this a lot and perhaps it’s a naive line of thought.......but in my own mind I can’t figure out why you would come into a lower league club and not mould your system around the players at your disposal? No offence to our squad, which man-for-man I do believe is good at this level, but this ain’t the Premier League. These players have weaknesses and limitations, that’s why they are playing at this level and not in the promised land.....so why not assess them and then pick a system/philosophy which suits them? Which plays to and accentuates their strengths and hides their weaknesses?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m an advocate of a short passing game and have never really liked long balls. But there is something about what they are being asked to do that these players clearly aren’t comfortable with, and perhaps to a large degree it is just beyond them technically?

You could even stretch this to some of our signings. Layton Ndukwu’s grandfather was on here earlier saying that the boy’s instinct has always been to take his man on down the wing and get a cross in. All we have seen so far is him trying to cut inside and his grandfather has suggested that’s probably his instruction. You’ve scouted a Prem youngster and signed him based on what you know he’s done well......why not give him license to continue to do that? That’s why you wanted to sign him, no? Why shoehorn him into your philosophy and change the way he plays instead? It’s verging on pig-headed and arrogant. Being a good coach, especially with young players, and improving them doesn’t have to mean looking at them and saying “I can completely change the way they play”. This is a League 1 club which almost got relegated last season. We don’t have the luxury of time for what Bond appears to want to do.

Been thinking about this a lot and perhaps it’s a naive line of thought.......but in my own mind I can’t figure out why you would come into a lower league club and not mould your system around the players at your disposal? No offence to our squad, which man-for-man I do believe is good at this level, but this ain’t the Premier League. These players have weaknesses and limitations, that’s why they are playing at this level and not in the promised land.....so why not assess them and then pick a system/philosophy which suits them? Which plays to and accentuates their strengths and hides their weaknesses?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m an advocate of a short passing game and have never really liked long balls. But there is something about what they are being asked to do that these players clearly aren’t comfortable with, and perhaps to a large degree it is just beyond them technically?

You could even stretch this to some of our signings. Layton Ndukwu’s grandfather was on here earlier saying that the boy’s instinct has always been to take his man on down the wing and get a cross in. All we have seen so far is him trying to cut inside and his grandfather has suggested that’s probably his instruction. You’ve scouted a Prem youngster and signed him based on what you know he’s done well......why not give him license to continue to do that? That’s why you wanted to sign him, no? Why shoehorn him into your philosophy and change the way he plays instead? It’s verging on pig-headed and arrogant. Being a good coach, especially with young players, and improving them doesn’t have to mean looking at them and saying “I can completely change the way they play”. This is a League 1 club which almost got relegated last season. We don’t have the luxury of time for what Bond appears to want to do.

Absolutely agree, great post.

[QUOTE="Onion_Bag_Dave, post: 2165924, member: 2640" ] I’m really surprised that a lot of you in one breath will praise the new signings he’s made and in the next you’ll say how clueless he is. I’m not sure he can be both?

You’ve surely got to put two and two together and accept it’ll take a bit of time.

He absolutely can.

I do like the players he's brought in. He's probably a good judge of talent and a great scout.

However the way he is trying to play is - in my opinion - not suited to the team we already have, either ability or style wise.

He has rather bizarrely thrown Cox into the team despite having just had one training session in pre-season, he thrust Ridgewell into the fray despite the bloke not having kicked a ball for a few months and seems to be very reactive to one-off moments. Theo scores two v Millwall and starts v Coventry, Oxley makes a mistake and is dropped and he changes the system every game.

He's trying to change the mindset, the style and the personnel and says it will take time. With the window closing in 2 weeks, how many more personnel can he change? How long does he think he'll get?

The scouting and tactics are completely separate. Great scout, clueless tactician.[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

I think he’s out of his depth and completely out of touch with lower league football.

I’m really surprised that a lot of you in one breath will praise the new signings he’s made and in the next you’ll say how clueless he is. I’m not sure he can be both?

He absolutely can.

I do like the players he's brought in. He's probably a good judge of talent and a great scout.

However the way he is trying to play is - in my opinion - not suited to the team we already have, either ability or style wise.

He has rather bizarrely thrown Cox into the team despite having just had one training session in pre-season, he thrust Ridgewell into the fray despite the bloke not having kicked a ball for a few months and seems to be very reactive to one-off moments. Theo scores two v Millwall and starts v Coventry, Oxley makes a mistake and is dropped and he changes the system every game.

He's trying to change the mindset, the style and the personnel and says it will take time. With the window closing in 2 weeks, how many more personnel can he change? How long does he think he'll get?

The scouting and tactics are completely separate. Great scout, clueless tactician.

I'm a great fan of the hoof...It get results and i'm pleased we were the best hoofers in L1. We broke club home records along the way and the joy on fans faces was a site to be seen....

As for you airy fairy total Dutch football poofs, we had secured our L1 status as early as the 87th minute of game 46.......B******s to Bond....AVE IT.

He absolutely can.

The scouting and tactics are completely separate. Great scout, clueless tactician.

Totally disagree.

I’m not sure you can judge his entire ability on a few mistakes of putting players in early. We’ve done that constantly for years if we didn’t have any better.

Loads of people wanted Oxley dropped.
And if cox wasn’t there people would be saying “Cox has to play even if he’s only trained a few times in pre season.”

Can’t win with decisions sometimes in football as a manager.

But what will help is that 3-1 win tomorrow.

Totally disagree.

I’m not sure you can judge his entire ability on a few mistakes of putting players in early. We’ve done that constantly for years if we didn’t have any better.

Loads of people wanted Oxley dropped.
And if cox wasn’t there people would be saying “Cox has to play even if he’s only trained a few times in pre season.”

Can’t win with decisions sometimes in football as a manager.

But what will help is that 3-1 win tomorrow.

But I'm not judging his entire ability on him putting players in early. That's just one factor. And I wanted him to get the job after he'd kept us up, so I'm not anti-Bond generally.

I just can't see how you can improve the team and the squad yet we perform so much more poorly.

I'll agree on the last point, except I'd like a clean sheet!

But I'm not judging his entire ability on him putting players in early. That's just one factor. And I wanted him to get the job after he'd kept us up, so I'm not anti-Bond generally.

I just can't see how you can improve the team and the squad yet we perform so much more poorly.

I'll agree on the last point, except I'd like a clean sheet!

Fair play. I can see what you mean. However we’ve got an entirely new back four and a new CM who’s passing range amazes me. It’s just a matter of time until we start smashing teams I really can see it.

Foooooottttbbbbaaaalllllll!!!!!!

To be fair when he came on Saturday he did seem to have licence to play where he wanted as he does at Leicester but spent too much time in his own half defending and had little time to make the impact he is desperate to do.

The real reason many have turned on Bond so quickly is they have proved themselves wrong.

Remember all last week......Play 4-4-2 and drop Oxley.....Guaranteed us an improvement.....The answer was so simple yet Bond couldn't see it.

If your biggest CB has concussion, your big number 9 target man is protecting his face with a mask, your player of the year is at half pace and your young potential 'make things happen' CM has only just arrived yesterday. .....You wont do very well at a full strength Lincoln this season......Nothing to do with tactics, formations, radio interviews or dancing up and down on the touch line. Thats the same at any level of football in any league no matter who is the manger......

He absolutely can.

Bang on, fbm. I fully agree with this. Towards the end of Brown's reign and through the months of Powell's torment, we suffered massively due to chopping and changing. Every week a new line up and every week a new formation; we could never get any rhythm or continuity. You hear ex footballers talk about the importance of knowing each other, knowing their jobs and the need for continuity. We never seem to have that and Bond appears to be just as bad as Powell with it.

Something else which I think isn't helping our iffy start is our summer business. Like you say, we've brought in some decent individuals definitely, BUT, how many of them have decent experience in League One?

Ralph - Minimal
Milligan - None
Ridgewell - None
Goodship - None
Hamilton - Minimal
Ndukwu - None
Shaughnessy - None
Blackman - None

So we've got an entire new management team and six new players that have zero experience of the league. That's not going to help with the bedding in at all. It's all going to take a lot of time, but do us and Bond have that luxury? Probably not........

Back