• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I guess if someone took a poll of the nic's on this forum then they would be split fairly evenly between members who post as (xxx)shrimper or (xxx)blue.

In all the years i have been going to Roots Hall i rarely hear the exhortation "come on you Shrimpers", but every home game i hear "come on you Blues".

we are getting a little crossed in our points here....very few clubs would actually chant their nickname. Man Utd for instance do sing about the reds, and indeed I am sure Bolton fans would sing come on you whites, rather than come on you trotters. However, this does not detract from their nickname and just because we identify with the colour of our teams shirts when singing in the stands does not mean we would abandon the nickname. I, as my name would suggest, am proud to be a Shrimper, always have been and so shall remain. It was Vic Jobson (spit spit) who changed the nickname and the badge. we have changed the badge back and it's time we changed the nickname too, before we go the same way as Leeds (the peacocks) or Chelsea (pensioners)

How did everone feel when we we sang 'yellows' repeatedly whilst wearing yellow shorts years ago?

I must say that everyone seems to get jolly upset very easily on here be it season tickets,club shop, nicknames etc at the moment.

Newcastle are the Magpies yet the fans call them the Toon

Clubs regularly change their nicknames (I am sure we did this a few months ago)....

Morecombe are the Shrimps , Harwich and Parkeston are the Shrimpers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Oct. 19 2005,16:44)]How did everone feel when we we sang 'yellows' repeatedly whilst wearing yellow shorts years ago?

I must say that everyone seems to get jolly upset very easily  on here be it season tickets,club shop, nicknames etc at the moment.
That might have something to do with us wearing yellow and blue though.
As in 'David Webbs yellow, blue army'.

Totaly different point as to what the thread is aimed at.

As Terry Alderton might sing - we're the sea-siders, the blues, the shrimpers, the barmy army.

Nothing's gonna stop us now.

I always refer to us as the Shrimpers and considering the number of messageboards I seem to be going on right now, I think it should be pretty much common knowledge across England.

Why would you want to be the Blues when you have a nickname with character?

As long as the fans keep referring to us as the Shrimpers then we will always be the Shrimpers.

How about the eels? or the jellied eels?

rock.gif

Bulk of fans would call us Shrimpes im sure, we have shrimpers trust, shrimpers bar and shrimperzone which are all run by fans......

However Uncle Ron seems to like Blues which for my mind is Chelsea.....

I feel a campaign coming on.
mad.gif

In the early days, didn't there used to be a cartoon about "old pa Shrimper"?

I reckon instead of Elvis J Eel, we should have had Old pa shrimper made as a mascot, he could have had a big net and chased Sammy the Shrimp around the pitch for our considerable entertainment!

......coat is already off its hook...

To me we are the Shrimpers, and always will be, although I believe we are called the Blues at the moment because Ron likes the nickname better or something like that...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Oct. 19 2005,14:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Oct. 19 2005,14:33)]Unique to us and Morecombe
Are they not "The Shrimps" ?
Yes they are the Shrimps - as in the potted variety that come from there.

Whereas we are the ones who catch the little buggers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Oct. 19 2005,16:34)]very few clubs would actually chant their nickname.
Hearing Northampton fans chanting "Cobblers" at their team ammuses me no end
laugh.gif
- they're one team who really should leave their nickname out of their songs...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Oct. 20 2005,13:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Oct. 19 2005,16:34)]very few clubs would actually chant their nickname.
laugh.gif
Think its quite a appropriate nick-name really.

laugh.gif

I just can't see the west stand standing up when we are on the attack chanting 'Come on you shrimpers!'

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Oct. 20 2005,13:24)]
[b said:
[b said:
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I just can't see the west stand standing up when we are on the attack chanting 'Come on you shrimpers!'
Good point - but surely 'Come on Southend' can suffice on those occaisions....

We could use both 'The Blues' and 'The Shrimpers' and it would overcome this sort of thing. The club doesn't appear to see it like that though

Fair point, well made. Come on you Shrimpers wouldnt work. Come on Southend is better!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ Oct. 19 2005,12:55)]This is something I feel really strongly about, and some will probably think 'what is all the fuss about?' but to me it matters, and it matters alot!!!!
why ohh why do the clubs board, not show any respect to our clubs nick name 'The Shrimpers'. We are 'The Shrimpers' after all!!
Like Everton Are the Toffees
Man U are the Red Devils
Newcastle are the Mapies
Arsenal the Gunners
they are not
the blues
the reds
the black and whites
the reds

It really f%&ks me off, Why are the board so pesistant of us loosing our identity, and please dont tell me its because of Copy right or anything like that!!! Its our clubs nickname for f%&k sake!!

I have just been on the online shop, and its the blues this and the blues that, they are even selling cards with t'he seasiders' on them, but still no shrimpers!!! the programme is ' the blues' we even got a fucling eel with Hair before we got our beloved shrimp back. Yes shrimps are declining badly in the Thames, but that doesnt mean they should be down at the hall....................
Somebody needs to get out a bit more one thinks.

Andy, you are turning into a right Shrimperzoner with your rants and raves, i will have to get back to get you on the straight and narrow again me old son.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Oct. 20 2005,15:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Oct. 20 2005,13:24)]
[b said:
[b said:
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Good point - but surely 'Come on Southend' can suffice on those occaisions....

We could use both 'The Blues' and 'The Shrimpers' and it would overcome this sort of thing. The club doesn't appear to see it like that though
IMHO WE ARE THE CLUB . players, managers ,chairmen tealadies come and go . Supporters don't. If we want to have our nickname for our Club as the SHRIMPERS then we will bloody well 'ave it . Power to the people.
wow.gif
wow.gif

Back