• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Investment

Shoebury Blue

Schoolboy
I know the reason behind us not signing another defender on loan this week is probably because of the lack of funds available to Tilly - a problem we know isnt going to go away until the new stadium is built (if it ever happens!!). Now being fairly new to the site I wanted to know if anyone has ever discussed a fan's group potentially investing any money into the club??

Apologies if this has been discussed before but im sure someone can clarify pretty quickly if it has!!

It's a nice thought but let's face it. We don't have the biggest of fan bases and with it being a recession people are likely to rather keep their money than give it away freely without a definite promise of investment. Also, you have to think, what would you be raising the money for? If it's for the stadium then it'd be out of the question as not only does Ron Martin say he has the financing in place but you have to think of the amount just one person would have to put in and with the current climate and wages not meeting the inflation level you wouldn't see many people willing to come forward.

I know the reason behind us not signing another defender on loan this week is probably because of the lack of funds available to Tilly - a problem we know isnt going to go away until the new stadium is built (if it ever happens!!). Now being fairly new to the site I wanted to know if anyone has ever discussed a fan's group potentially investing any money into the club??

Apologies if this has been discussed before but im sure someone can clarify pretty quickly if it has!!

If anyone or group wanted to invest then the stadium is about £50-60 million and the club is losing £2,000,000 a year. I think those figures are beyond the reach of virtually everyone.

Do you essentially mean a goodwill gesture to Tilly's bank balance to pay the wage bill of a 3-6 month loan of a player?

Do you essentially mean a goodwill gesture to Tilly's bank balance to pay the wage bill of a 3-6 month loan of a player?

I guess so, dependant on all the associated costs.

All i was getting at was trying to find out if it would take that much money from a large group of supporters to invest into the club and have a bit more of a say? Appreciate that the club are in a fair bit of debt but we all continue to go every week and do our best to try and support the team - was just trying to find out whether there was anything we could all do but judging by the negativity of all the responses im guessing thats a no!!

Last year we were invited to invest in a 'new share issue' - I wonder what my £6.00 shares are worth now?

If anyone or group wanted to invest then the stadium is about £50-60 million and the club is losing £2,000,000 a year. I think those figures are beyond the reach of virtually everyone.

Just how are we losing £2m per year? If we cant at least come near to breaking even with an average gate of 8K and a few good cup/tele pay days, then something is very seriously wrong with the running of SUFC.

Just how are we losing £2m per year? If we cant at least come near to breaking even with an average gate of 8K and a few good cup/tele pay days, then something is very seriously wrong with the running of SUFC.

This has beencovered in many threads about the accounts , particularly in the weeks after thet were published, but heres a summary

Turnover 4.7M
Cost of sales 5.2M
Gross Loss 491K
Expenses 2M

Loss for yr to 31/7/08 2.4M

Turnover

Gate Receipts and seaso's 2.2M
Share of League & cup pools and TV 787k
COE 142K
Sports and Promo 1M
Shop (pre Franchise) 78k
Catering / Bars 464k

Wages 3.3M
There is no breakdown on the accounts detailing the remainder of the expenses, but there is also no mention of maintance costs for RH B&L etc .

Also the Rental charge , whilst being held as a creditor on the accounts and not being physically paid would need to be shown and IIRC that is around 500k

can I suggest the best thing we - or any other 'season card holder' could do is encourange another friend to also buy a season ticket!!

This has beencovered in many threads about the accounts , particularly in the weeks after thet were published, but heres a summary

Turnover 4.7M
Cost of sales 5.2M
Gross Loss 491K
Expenses 2M

Loss for yr to 31/7/08 2.4M

Turnover

Gate Receipts and seaso's 2.2M
Share of League & cup pools and TV 787k
COE 142K
Sports and Promo 1M
Shop (pre Franchise) 78k
Catering / Bars 464k

Wages 3.3M
There is no breakdown on the accounts detailing the remainder of the expenses, but there is also no mention of maintance costs for RH B&L etc .

Also the Rental charge , whilst being held as a creditor on the accounts and not being physically paid would need to be shown and IIRC that is around 500k

Thanks for taking the time Firestorm, it was more of a rhetorical question really. It just defeats me how a business can be run this way when you know (within a little) of your turnover in advance, have some nice little bonus paydays above the norm and still make such a heavy loss - unsustainable without the catchnet of the FF developement and that worries me.

Thanks for taking the time Firestorm, it was more of a rhetorical question really. It just defeats me how a business can be run this way when you know (within a little) of your turnover in advance, have some nice little bonus paydays above the norm and still make such a heavy loss - unsustainable without the catchnet of the FF developement and that worries me.

Exactly. And it remains to be seen how FF will actually bring in additional revenue for the club rather than incurring extra expenses through paying rent to the stadium operating company. What a mess.

To anyone who thinks we're facing the same situation as other lower division clubs - don't we have one of the largest gates and one of the smallest squads? Which would suggest other lower division clubs would be losing even more than £2m a year.

If there really was no way of lower league clubs breaking even, the lower leagues would have ceased to exist long ago. Aldershot had to re-form from scratch - have their finances been well-managed since re-forming?

The sums the club is losing and the debts are eye-wateringly huge and unsustainable. Something needs to be done quickly before it's too late. To believe that the club is being well-managed financially seems about as accurate as (forgive the political comparison) Gordon Brown's claims that he was a prudent chancellor who abolished boom and bust.

Back