• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is it time for a boycott?

We haven't had 10k attendances week in week out since 2006/7. Taking your argument about RM not being able to run a football club a stage further. With the level of debt throughout football from Manchester United downwards, it would seem it's not an exclusive club.

Yes, we had them in 2006/7, but we've had them. Why have we, as a club, plummetted since then? And more to my origional point, Chadded asked; what would be better, boycotts or 10k fans? If we were to achieve those gates again, what's to say that will sort it all out?

I agree SUFC are not an exclusive club, there are many clubs rife with debt etc, but at the same time there are also clubs with a smaller fanbase than us, no big cup games, no big money transfers etc etc that seem to survive, or at least aren't up in the courts every few weeks

Of course i want the club to succeed, and i'd say i've put a fair few quid into the club through tickets/merchandise/beer/food, as i'm sure many others do game after game.

However, despite a fair amount of money going into the club, we're seeing nothing returned, but instead the club is being run into the ground. Then, as a domino effect of that, we get the "pleasure" of watching sub-standard footballers who don't have the slighest care about what happens to SUFC.

Now i'm starting to agree with you. What we seem to be disagreeing on, is when you give up. I'll give up supporting, buying my ticket, my onionless burger (although to be fair, I'm a sausage roll and Bovril man) etc, when the gates are locked and there is a sign up saying 'Out of business.' I don't think that is going to happen.

You however, and others, and this is not a derogatory comment, or an insult, seem to be ready to give in now. I can't agree with that, sorry.

Saying that RM 'Doesn't know how to run a club,' well I don't agree with that either. He seemed to run it pretty well a few years ago, and whilst I don't agree with a number of things, I wouldn't know how to run a tiny business, let alone a professional football club, so I tend not to pass comment unless it is an informed one, or part of a reasoned argument. If he gets us through this, which I believe he will, then quite the opposite will be true, he really will know how to run a football club, through good times and bad. That's not me saying that failing to pay staff is how to run a business, but he was able to keep a failing/struggling business alive.

I agree SUFC are not an exclusive club, there are many clubs rife with debt etc, but at the same time there are also clubs with a smaller fanbase than us, no big cup games, no big money transfers etc etc that seem to survive, or at least aren't up in the courts every few weeks

Those are the clubs who have owned their grounds and facilities since their admission, aren't looking to fund a huge relocation project essential to their survival and who survive without ever competing.

I'd rather have a season of relative turmoil, followed by decades of potential, than become a League One also-ran, where survival is considered successful year in, year out.

? If we were to achieve those gates again, what's to say that will sort it all out?

Surely you can see that whilst it may not 'sort it out' there is far, far more chance of everything being sorted out with those gates, rather then a say, 2,000 gate??

Now i'm starting to agree with you. What we seem to be disagreeing on, is when you give up. I'll give up supporting, buying my ticket, my onionless burger (although to be fair, I'm a sausage roll and Bovril man) etc, when the gates are locked and there is a sign up saying 'Out of business.' I don't think that is going to happen.

You however, and others, and this is not a derogatory comment, or an insult, seem to be ready to give in now. I can't agree with that, sorry.

Saying that RM 'Doesn't know how to run a club,' well I don't agree with that either. He seemed to run it pretty well a few years ago, and whilst I don't agree with a number of things, I wouldn't know how to run a tiny business, let alone a professional football club, so I tend not to pass comment unless it is an informed one, or part of a reasoned argument. If he gets us through this, which I believe he will, then quite the opposite will be true, he really will know how to run a football club, through good times and bad. That's not me saying that failing to pay staff is how to run a business, but he was able to keep a failing/struggling business alive.

I wouldn't say i'm giving up, and i'll no doubt be there as usual in the future. However, i'm at the point where shelling out £50 a game to watch this crap is more a chore than an enjoyable day. I can't justify it anymore. If the players went out there, and bust a gut for the cause, and showed heart and fight, then it'd be easier to take. However the crap that has been on display of late is diabolical.
In my opinion, it's Ron's fault we're in this mess. It's complete financial mismanagment over the past 3-4 years that have now landed us in this position, and as he's the main man, he has to cop the flak. Let's not forget, we were on the verge of being wound-up a few weeks ago, and still find ourselves in trouble next wednesday. Couple that with the fact of not paying employees just doesn't say "good business sense" to me.

Those are the clubs who have owned their grounds and facilities since their admission, aren't looking to fund a huge relocation project essential to their survival and who survive without ever competing.

I'd rather have a season of relative turmoil, followed by decades of potential, than become a League One also-ran, where survival is considered successful year in, year out.

Relative turmoil? If it came down to a few seasons where we weren't going to compete, but at least we'd be safe, then i'd agree it is worth it.

However, the club are facing relegation, our players/staff haven't ben paid, transfer embargo's one after the other, A squad of about 15 professionals with some youngsters thrown in, heartless performances from those players and the possibility we go out of business next wednesday.

Will it be worth it if we go out of business

Surely you can see that whilst it may not 'sort it out' there is far, far more chance of everything being sorted out with those gates, rather then a say, 2,000 gate??

You would think so. However it seems that those type of gates is what caused our illustrious chairman to blow the budget the first time around

Been to many games this season have we?

Pathetic. I go to as many games as I can. As I can't get to all the games I would like to, I put money into the club by buying shirts etc for myself and family, and am a member of the Team Blues, though I get no direct benefit from that. A boycott of our club helps no-one but our rivals.

Pathetic. I go to as many games as I can. As I can't get to all the games I would like to, I put money into the club by buying shirts etc for myself and family, and am a member of the Team Blues, though I get no direct benefit from that. A boycott of our club helps no-one but our rivals.

Put me on ignore and be done with it then. You're not all that

Not having a dig here, I'm just interested.

If we don't have an assistant manager are you actually not going to go?

and

If the stadium isn't being built in June which is only 2 months away! Will you not go next season ?

utb!

Not saying I wont go, but having spent probably in the region of £30k plus in my lifetime following the blues, I am not going to **** any more cash up the wall when we are not even getting the basics for that cash.

All of those things (with the exception of the new ground) should be a given for any football club.

Having an assistant, paying the wages, having more than 12 1st team players, investing just a tiny bit of money in the playing side, are all things that any football fan should expect.

As somebody has said on this thread, would you pay for a haircut if you knew beforehand that the barber would be using blunt scissors, wouldn't have a blow dryer, and let a trainee mess it up as that trainee hadn't been paid and couldn't give a toss about the barbers reputation.

No you wouldn't. Why should supporting a club be any different to anything else in life.

And if everyone follows your lead, the club will have even less money to do the things that you demand. Utterly ridiculous thing to say. Glad you aren't 'Current Trust Treasurer Bloke'.......

Its called prudent finanacial management. Using limited resources to get the best return.

Maybe if I was still trust treasurer they would not be £60k light :net:

As somebody has said on this thread, would you pay for a haircut if you knew beforehand that the barber would be using blunt scissors, wouldn't have a blow dryer, and let a trainee mess it up as that trainee hadn't been paid and couldn't give a toss about the barbers reputation.

In the same vein, you don't walk into a chip shop and say "Listen here, sunshine, I'm going to pay £1.10 for a portion of chips even though it says £1.30 because I don't particularly like the way you do your chips here".

Its called prudent finanacial management. Using limited resources to get the best return.

Maybe if I was still trust treasurer they would not be £60k light :net:

Mr Brown, shouldn't you be electioneering? ;)

My point remains. You won't invest money into a skint football club untill it is richer. If everyone followed suit, we'd be dead.

No you wouldn't. Why should supporting a club be any different to anything else in life.

If you don't get that why do you bother in the first place? I follow Southend because. No other reason. It's an emotional thing, not a hard headed business decision. If it was, I'd be supporting one of the better placed Championship sides as a nice balance between price and return.

And do you realy think of it as "****ing cash up the wall"? I think you've had a pretty good run for your money over the last 6 years, as I see it the club don't owe you anything - time to put the "support" into "supporter".

At the moment I feel like on and off the pitch it's like watching a close friend dying a slow painful death but I couldn't go along with any boycott. As others have said a boycott would only hurt the club further. I take the view I support Southend not Ron Martin or any other chairman we have had or may have in the future.

I guess really it all depends on whether you think we have any chance of staying up this year, and how important staying up is to you.

If the most important thing to you with regard to supporting Southend United is staying up then cheering the boys on- regardless of the display is the correct option. Its the only thing you can do that can influence the goal of staying up

If Staying up isn't the most important goal and/or you think it is impossible then I can understand taking other routes.

I want us to stay up and therefore I will cheer on the side and give as much positivity towards the players as I can. You can argue they don't deserve it, Ron doesn't seserve it etc etc , but if staying up is the most important thing these points become irrelevant.

If you don't get that why do you bother in the first place? I follow Southend because. No other reason. It's an emotional thing, not a hard headed business decision. If it was, I'd be supporting one of the better placed Championship sides as a nice balance between price and return.

And do you realy think of it as "****ing cash up the wall"? I think you've had a pretty good run for your money over the last 6 years, as I see it the club don't owe you anything - time to put the "support" into "supporter".

So you assume that I have only been going in the good times. Trust me there have been a lot of bad times since 1986. I have been supporting for 2/3 of my life.

All the previous bad times have not been caused by one person's financial mismangement, and I am not advocating a boycott.

All I am saying is that I am not getting a season ticket unless I know that the club will be given a normal chance to compete. I won't stop going completely, as just because you don't agree with me, doesn't mean that I am not a supporter, it doesn't meant that it doesn't hurt, and it doesn't mean that I should **** off and glory hunt a Championship side.

Why is everthing so black and white with people on here, if you don't agree with something then you are not a supporter. Some of you need to grow up.

Why is everthing so black and white with people on here, if you don't agree with something then you are not a supporter. Some of you need to grow up.

You couched your post in business-like terms, so I pointed out where that argument logically led. And I never said you weren't a supporter - I was pointing out that as a supporter this is the time, if any, for whole-hearted support.

PS I remember the dark days all too clearly, and I disagree - our current financial position can be laid firmly at the door of Vic Jobson, who blew our inheritance (Roots Hall) chasing Division Two football, and once we lost ownership of our own ground financial collapse was inevitable.

Nothing is black and white. Except maybe penguins. And Michael Jackson in the 1980's, but that's not the point.

I don't think people need to grow up as such, but there needs to be more reasoned argument than there currently is. For example. 'I think sacking Brush was stupid. Why? Because it was.' sounds like an uneducated, ill informed rant, whereas

I think sacking Brush and bringing in Webb was silly, when he could have brought in Webb to assist both Tilly and Brush, who have shown fantastic loyalty to the club in hard times,' is a reasoned argument.

There's currently a massive difference of opinion on this board. Reading this board should be fascinating at the moment. In the red corner, theres the people who would like the consortium to come in, and an the blue corner, is the Ron Martin Fan Club. Instead, I'm close to 'doing a Cricko' and completely stopping posting, because I'm bored of the repetitive, seemingly ill informed crap being posted. (Not naming names, but this isn't aimed at you x)

I don't agree with what you think at the moment, but that's life.

Back