• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Jack Bridge to Return

Northampton have played in the top division-we haven’t—just saying.

True. They also hold a record as the only team in history to go:

4th division
3rd division
2nd division
1st division
2nd division
3rd division
4th division

in successive seasons.

4th division
3rd division
2nd division
1st division
2nd division
3rd division
4th division

in successive seasons.
Yes,I remember that well.
There’s someone who should be reading this who will be able to tell us which of those 7 seasons involved a certain Billy Best—I seem to remember he was switched to play at wing-half for quite a while,Dave?

worth remembering there are lots of very good young [ northern ] players who won`t travel and play down south . i think it was tilson who said once some players don`t want the 40 mile drive down to sarfend from london area

4th division
3rd division
2nd division
1st division
2nd division
3rd division
4th division

in successive seasons.

I'm pretty sure Swansea City also did the same

Definitely a big difference in levels. But I said at the time if he wasn't our player I'd have still been writing on the forum saying "we need to look at this kid". He was obviously several levels above what he was playing. At the time my good friend was the main sponsor at Chelmsford "BIG cars", so we were in the hospitality area and got to mix with players and management etc. Maher & Coughlan were of the opinion he was a natural winger and I'm guessing when persuing him for Bristol, that is what he had in mind.

I get your point about Carlisle (I'm taking your word that they never tried him on the wing as I don't know?). Think this is one where we'll have to agree to disagree.

Not doubting your opinion of his time at Chelmsford as you know your stuff but Bridge was certainly not ready for L1 under PB.....Way out of his depth at CM and even anonymous at LM in the cheackafraud v Reading under 21's.
kept signalling to Maher to come off at Ricay and from my observation, the laziest as well as hardly touching the ball in training on the day I watched.

Will be more than happy to be proved wrong if he has learnt the hard way via Carlisle. Big statements from your agent about how far you can run before you even walk....Should be taken with a pinch of sea salt.

He is in my eyes. He was out on the wing at Chelmsford under Maher and was absolutely superb. I was going to every Chelmsford game at this time.

Yes, he was usually man of the match at Chelmsford and looked to be having a good career ahead of him. Disappointing to see the likes of Northampton and Carlisle release him.

Yes, he was usually man of the match at Chelmsford and looked to be having a good career ahead of him. Disappointing to see the likes of Northampton and Carlisle release him.
He did look good for them but all the matches I saw (on video) he was up against absolutely awful defences.

Bridge for me, is basically a very similar player to Phillips and Gard, so it’s an odd one. All three look to get on the ball, drift and pass it, so do we really need all of them?

I don’t see Gard like that at all. Gard for me is a chaser and a ball winner. Gets around the pitch doing the ugly jobs ratting around the oppositions ankles and keeping the game simple. The type every team needs.

mind you we’ve seen them both for about 160 mins each so who knows

His Carlisle contract expired and they tried to resign him.

I don’t see Gard like that at all. Gard for me is a chaser and a ball winner. Gets around the pitch doing the ugly jobs ratting around the oppositions ankles and keeping the game simple. The type every team needs.

mind you we’ve seen them both for about 160 mins each so who knows

From what I've seen of Gard he makes the game look simple rather than keeps it simple. Your description sounds more like Alex Woodyard (who I didn't particularly rate but would have been a good fit for us now).

Bridge for me, is basically a very similar player to Phillips and Gard, so it’s an odd one. All three look to get on the ball, drift and pass it, so do we really need all of them?

I think it's conceivable that we could look to set up with a 4-2-3-1 with two such players starting and we'd then need a third on the bench.

His Carlisle contract expired and they tried to resign him.

From what I've seen of Gard he makes the game look simple rather than keeps it simple. Your description sounds more like Alex Woodyard (who I didn't particularly rate but would have been a good fit for us now).

I think it's conceivable that we could look to set up with a 4-2-3-1 with two such players starting and we'd then need a third on the bench.

isnt 4-2-3-1 what Currie used at Barnet

yeah it wasn’t meant as an insult I rate the lad.

what I meant was he doesn’t attempt to take too many risks and uses the ball simply but well.

Keeping it simple is the first step to making it look simple.

yeah it wasn’t meant as an insult I rate the lad.

what I meant was he doesn’t attempt to take too many risks and uses the ball simply but well.

Keeping it simple is the first step to making it look simple.
Yeah, from the limited amount I've watched of Gard he passes crisply but simply and moves rapidly into space or to cover. He does get around well!

Back