• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

January Transfer Window Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kyprianou was meant to start back training in December but that’s all gone quiet.

Shaughnessy is out for over a month with a knee injury.

It’s deafly silent in regards to those two and also Lewis Gard, thought he was due back soon.
Having caught the tail end of training earlier this week, Harry Kyp was part of training but not the 7 a side games, so he is getting there. Lovely to see him back out with no protective boot on, and hope he may be back and fit to play competitively in a month or so.

Shaugnessy had a leg brace on at the JB Christmas party so probably further behind Kyps.

So, there’s a good chance of an incoming transfer (possibly - and hopefully - more than one) tomorrow IMO. We clearly need them. We will be talking to the agents of some targets, and those spiv agents will know we need reinforcements, what our fixture list is and very likely be using those to try to pressure Ron into upping wages and other terms. Can Ron get a deal or two over the line? Not long now to find out...

So, there’s a good chance of an incoming transfer (possibly - and hopefully - more than one) tomorrow IMO. We clearly need them. We will be talking to the agents of some targets, and those spiv agents will know we need reinforcements, what our fixture list is and very likely be using those to try to pressure Ron into upping wages and other terms. Can Ron get a deal or two over the line? Not long now to find out...
Unlike several previous manager I do not think Mr Campbell will put up with players he has not investigated and identified himself being signed. I also think he will have a say in terms and wages. In short we may get some in BUT only if they are what Sol has deigned.
Agents won't get much joy from touting "wow".

Unlike several previous manager I do not think Mr Campbell will put up with players he has not investigated and identified himself being signed. I also think he will have a say in terms and wages. In short we may get some in BUT only if they are what Sol has deigned.
Agents won't get much joy from touting "wow".

Indeed, speculative approaches won’t get anywhere I don’t think. But those players Sol does want also have agents, and those agents will be using every trick in the book to wheedle more money out of SUFC whether or not that is justified or represents fair value.

Sol wouldn’t have signed Ridgewell or Kiernan I’m pretty certain. I think and hope that if agents/players are asking silly amounts we will carry on with what we have rather than throw good money after bad. Zero point bringing in more lads that are here for nothing but a payday. Hoping for some good news to lift the mood for Tues.

I don't think we will sign anyone before Tuesday. We'll go to Doncaster with a very young team, with players out of position and get best easily. Just when we needed to build some momentum. It's like when we took too long in sacking Bond and too long in appointing his successor. We were just giving points to the opposition week after week. Story of the season.

As much as the squad is in dire need of some reinforcements, if agents and players alike are using our current desperate needs to try and squeeze as much money out of us as possible then I absolutely applaud Ron and Sol for not giving in to such demands. Whatever you think of the players we’ve lost this month, we’ve managed to considerably lower our wage bill, why unnecessarily raise it again with players who probably aren’t going to be at the same level of quality just because they know that we are desperate for bodies. I totally understand from a players point of view that a club in the position we are in destined for relegation isn’t such an attractive proposition but I want players here who want to be here, who want to accept the challenge of getting us back up next season.. not players who think they can use us for a quick buck like a few have this season.

Yes, totally agree with the comments above re agents and Sol’s influence on recruitment. However, IMO it is an absolute must that we bring players in this month. Experienced players who are signed for next season too. Otherwise I fear that by playing the youngsters for rest of season; losing most (every) week, haemorrhaging goals and points for the remaining games, their confidence will be shot and that may be more difficult to rectify in the long run. We want them fresh, keen and unencumbered by such negativity (as much as possible, anyway!).

However, IMO it is an absolute must that we bring players in this month. Experienced players who are signed for next season too. Otherwise I fear that by playing the youngsters for rest of season; losing most (every) week, haemorrhaging goals and points for the remaining games, their confidence will be shot and that may be more difficult to rectify in the long run. We want them fresh, keen and unencumbered by such negativity (as much as possible, anyway!).
Agree 100%. We can’t treat the remaining 16 games as a training exercise for youngsters and a squad of less than 10 fit senior players.

We have just started to turn the Titanic around, with improved performances, a little unbeaten run, and that first win for centuries.

If the 2nd half of the season is back to getting drubbed 5-0 week in week out, it will take seasons to recover, if ever.

For example, if we had an ok 2nd half of the season, brought in a couple of players this January. Picked up say 20 points from our 16 games, and looked to have picked up from rock bottom, would you be more than likely to buy a season ticket next year?

If we dont bring anyone in, go back to playing like we did 3 months ago, ship another 50 goals, finish the season with about 3 or 4 wins and a total of 20 points, how many would want to be here next season?

Would Sol want to stay? Would anyone want to stay? Then you are looking at less income, fewer players, even more embarrassing losses, an even worse reputation (if that’s possible), and possibly staring into the abyss of non league.

Not bringing anyone in, even if it’s 2 or 3 on loan is simply not an option, and if nothing happens in the next few days, I will really fear for the future of our club.

Yes, totally agree with the comments above re agents and Sol’s influence on recruitment. However, IMO it is an absolute must that we bring players in this month. Experienced players who are signed for next season too. Otherwise I fear that by playing the youngsters for rest of season; losing most (every) week, haemorrhaging goals and points for the remaining games, their confidence will be shot and that may be more difficult to rectify in the long run. We want them fresh, keen and unencumbered by such negativity (as much as possible, anyway!).

It’s a tough situation Ron and Sol find themselves in. On one hand as I said in an earlier post, after getting some of the higher earners off the wage bill we absolutely shouldn’t be held to ransom by agents/players over wages because they know are need for reinforcements. On the other hand though I think Ron knows that for people like myself who aren’t season ticket holders, how can the club expect people to keep turning up, paying one of the highest ticket prices in the league just to watch a youthful side get an absolute battering that does nothing for their confidence nor does it give people a reason as to why they should be excited about next season. I get the argument that we as supporters should support the team, especially if it’s made up with players we’ve produced ourselves but at the same time, we still have to try and be competitive.

Struggle to see loanees wanting to come unless it’s with a view to a permanent.

They will know it’s difficult to look good in a poor side, and thats likely how they will see us despite the real improvement of late.

So really looking for L2 players with potential and the right attitude who we would otherwise be chasing in the summer. If they are out of contract in the summer as with Hopper then if you are prepared to pay a fee then you can maybe bring forward. Probably why Ron mentioned 3 would likely involve a fee..

Not Ron’s normal way - on the other hand he has got 150k for Hopper and freed up a lot of wages saving significant ££

We shall see. Wonder what’s happening with the Accrington LB we have Ben looking- that would solve one problem pretty quickly

If the deadline for playing against Donny is Monday noon then I can foresee Hump signing for Donny mid afternoon tomorrow.

It's a two way thing with agents. Ron hates them and that has caused us problems over the years. We're at an immediate disadvantage when it comes to signing players because of Ron Martin's reputation in football. Hence why, transfer window after transfer window, we're left foraging in the rejects bin after agents have advised their more sought-after players to sign elsewhere.

Looking forward to seeing what hasbeens we sign on 31st

Only 7 teams yet to sign anyone

Us, Coventry, Accrington, West Brom and 3 other Championship teams

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing what hasbeens we sign on 31st

Only 7 teams yet to sign anyone

Us, Coventry, Accrington, West Brom and 3 other Championship teams
Yep...great to hit the ground stumbling and falling over.
Page 78 and we still haven't a clue about any signings!

I'd quite like us to make an offer to Hanson at Grimsby, he's scored 6 and made 4 this season and is a big lump of a centre forward, just what we will need next season. He's 32 so would bring a bit of experience to our youthful side

The only players who are likely to sign are ones who have played for Sol before. Can't see why anyone else would want to join us.

The only players who are likely to sign are ones who have played for Sol before. Can't see why anyone else would want to join us.

Anyone that wants regular football and isn't getting it where they are now.

Especially if they are a defender, they would look at the squad we have and know they would play.

That's the only other reason to join us at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back