• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours John McGreal...is our man?

Chalky

Coach
Not sure how trustworthy this is but a Colchester fan yesterday told me he has 'heard' John McGreal has got the job here.

Last night on SkyBet, betting on John McGreal was suspended for about 15 minutes...and since you can bet on him again he has jumped to the bookies favourite.

Anyone else heard anything? I must admit I would welcome this appointment. The Colchester affiliation does not bother me in the slightest/

If thats true then i wonder about Craig Fagan will he stay or leave ,i for one hope he stays as assistant manager to learn more in view of being our next manager.Would be good to have a succession plan put in motion.

I wouldn't be underwhelmed and think he would be a steady appointment during unsteady times.

He knows the league and got an average col u side into the play offs last season.

I'm sure a god few of our fans don't want an ex col u man and probably expect pep or klopp, but we are totally skint and need for once to be sensible.

If true I would be fine with it. He did well at Col Ewe and, as I mentioned elsewhere, spoke well on a few podcasts about bringing youth through and profiling incoming players carefully. I was surprised when Col Ewe let him go.

His links with them lot up the road really doesn't bother me either.

If true it's a far more sensible appointment than the last two have been, I still don't fully understand why Colchester sacked him.

I was once introduced to a Tottenham fan who refused to wear a shirt because there was red in the sponsor's logo. It was at this point I woke up to the fact that no matter what you do in football, you'll upset someone.

If McGreal is the man, I'm sure he's not going to be interviewing and telling us all about how great it was at Colchester and if you cut him open he'll bleed blue and white blood. But still, the minute we lose 1-0 with a contentious 92nd minute penalty decision he'll be told to **** off back up the A12 and to take whoever has previously played under him too with him.

Very uninspiring if true .....having suffered hearing Col U fans constantly moaning about his style and tactics for the last few seasons would rather gamble with Fagin

Not sure how trustworthy this is but a Colchester fan yesterday told me he has 'heard' John McGreal has got the job here.

Last night on SkyBet, betting on John McGreal was suspended for about 15 minutes...and since you can bet on him again he has jumped to the bookies favourite.

Anyone else heard anything? I must admit I would welcome this appointment. The Colchester affiliation does not bother me in the slightest/

Could be a wind up from a fan who didn’t like his playing style and wants to take the opportunity to **** stir with the local rivals.

Sounds like the Col U fan is misinformed, or winding you up. I've been reliably informed that Ron is still talking to and interviewing lots of applicants.

Could well be the case. Im not claiming to be in the know, just interesting he told me about John, I go home check the odds and betting on him was suspended. Then he opened back up as favourite.

Could well be the case. Im not claiming to be in the know, just interesting he told me about John, I go home check the odds and betting on him was suspended. Then he opened back up as favourite.

It's no problem. It happens everytime we are looking for a new manager. Someone starts a rumour, some believe it and put money on it, suddenly he's the new favourite with the bookies. Before Bond and before that Chris Powell, quite a few names were mentioned falsly as our next manager. A done deal they said. A couple even boasted the odds they got on Adam Barrett after hearing he was going to get the job, a done deal some announced....False.... Bond got it instead.

He’s not top of my list but I wouldn’t be unhappy. I’d rather him than the likes of Lee Clark!
This is pretty much my thinking as well. I actually think he'd be a fairly safe choice with a good number of years behind him at this level now. However, if (when) we start bad then the vultures will gather pretty quickly.

FWIW I still think Fagan makes the most sense in the current circumstances

Back