• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Labour and the General Election

Prior to the fixed term the party in power have always called elections at a time when they expect to win.
Markets thrive on confidence - why would a government announce a prediction of a world wide economic crash?

your prediction was wrong I'm affraid - there is never anything worth reading in the Mail.

In the best traditions of the Plastic Commie, I did only say might

Meanwhile, here's a pointless link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/orlandorob/galleries/72157622923735310#photo_70342823

Polling in this election means a lot less in my opinion. With four, five, six party politics the national vote share is difficult to draw conclusions from.

Two things I would say: the incumbent always gets a higher vote share than polling predicts 3-12 months out. Second, Labour's actual vote is usually lower than polls and the Conservatives is usually higher.

Polling in this election means a lot less in my opinion. With four, five, six party politics the national vote share is difficult to draw conclusions from.

Two things I would say: the incumbent always gets a higher vote share than polling predicts 3-12 months out. Second, Labour's actual vote is usually lower than polls and the Conservatives is usually higher.

Ah, but the key point is, no party in government which has seen real living standards fall during its term of office, has ever been re-elected this side of WW2, (or indeed since the 1920's).

Last edited:
I think most will see that they were falling before the tories came in and that things are getting better with them in power surely.

I think most will see that they were falling before the tories came in and that things are getting better with them in power surely.

But growth rates were rising when the Tories got in.Their savage cuts delayed any recovery until last year.It could be that the recovery won't be sustained this year.It's far too early too tell.

Britain enjoyed it's highest growth since 2007. You must have missed that little snippet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-growth-slows-to-0.5pc-in-fourth-quarter.html
Taken a bit of a dip - last quarter saw growth of 0.5 % This is the case generally, that any claim of economic recovery is short term and with an unconvincing backstory. Take the drop in inflation - because oil prices have tumbled - the Tories have just got lucky. I hope people's memories aren't that short.

But growth rates were rising when the Tories got in.Their savage cuts delayed any recovery until last year.It could be that the recovery won't be sustained this year.It's far too early too tell.

Most people will see that the recession happened on Labours watch and things got better under the Tories.

The majority wont look any deeper.

The fact is we would have gone into recession if the tables had been tunred with Tories in power and recovered with Labour in power after, but thats not what many will see.

Plus Labour appointed Milliband as leader which screwed them from day one.

Most people will see that the recession happened on Labours watch and things got better under the Tories.

The majority wont look any deeper.

The fact is we would have gone into recession if the tables had been tunred with Tories in power and recovered with Labour in power after, but thats not what many will see.

Plus Labour appointed Milliband as leader which screwed them from day one.
Most people will see that a world wide recession started while Labour were in power in the UK and that all targets on debt reduction set by the Tories have been missed and that borrowing over this Parliament has gone up and up.

Most people will see that a world wide recession started while Labour were in power in the UK and that all targets on debt reduction set by the Tories have been missed and that borrowing over this Parliament has gone up and up.

Most people will just see things got worse under labour and are getting better under tory and wont care so much about debt reduction targets being missed.

I think some over estimate just how much the majority of people pay attention to the technicalities.

This is a country where the Sun is the top selling newspaper and programs like the X-Factor and reality shows rule supreme, many people see things far simpler than they are.

Back