• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Labour and the General Election

Most people will just see things got worse under labour and are getting better under tory and wont care so much about debt reduction targets being missed.

I think some over estimate just how much the majority of people pay attention to the technicalities.

This is a country where the Sun is the top selling newspaper and programs like the X-Factor and reality shows rule supreme, many people see things far simpler than they are.

Its only getting better for some, Its not getting better for me nor for anyone that I know but maybe that is the power of presentation, keep telling everyone its getting better until they believe it.Sadly I believe you are correct, I don't know if this country was ever an intellectual bastion but it certainly isn't now.

[/B]Its only getting better for some, Its not getting better for me nor for anyone that I know but maybe that is the power of presentation, keep telling everyone its getting better until they believe it.Sadly I believe you are correct, I don't know if this country was ever an intellectual bastion but it certainly isn't now.
Exactly - what people see is that costs are up, wages down, jobs created are generally **** jobs and it costs £9k a year to go to Uni.....

Exactly - what people see is that costs are up, wages down, jobs created are generally **** jobs and it costs £9k a year to go to Uni.....

Aren't labour pledging to reduce this to 6k a year?...paid for by a graduate tax which hasn't been worked out yet.

I wait for a fully costed Labour manifesto. Mind you hell will have frozen over before that. It's all very well promising the earth. The secret is knowing how it will be paid. Higher taxation is Labour's only real policy.

Evidence please. Better than low growth high unemplyment every day of the week which is what you would get with Labour and dare I say it the ****ing SNP.
Of which? Read newspapers....(Telegraph and Mail may not hand this info over to be fair).
Why the new interest in SNP? Labour and Conservatives will impact what happens over the next 5 years, anyone else is a bit part player.

I wait for a fully costed Labour manifesto. Mind you hell will have frozen over before that. It's all very well promising the earth. The secret is knowing how it will be paid. Higher taxation is Labour's only real policy.
If you read the last Tory manifesto you will find a whole list of things they didn't do but omitted things such as gay marriage and a Scottish referendum. UKIP manifesto their own party leader states is nonsense. In conclusion I wouldn't hold you breathe on the Labour manifesto if it is as set in quicksand as their rivals.

Of which? Read newspapers....(Telegraph and Mail may not hand this info over to be fair).
Why the new interest in SNP? Labour and Conservatives will impact what happens over the next 5 years, anyone else is a bit part player.

If you read my posts you must know my wife is Scottish and I hate the SNP. The thought of a Miliband/Salmond axis makes me feel physically sick. I personally think it would not happen but others disagree. And you believe the newspapers. I asked for evidence not opinion.

If you read the last Tory manifesto you will find a whole list of things they didn't do but omitted things such as gay marriage and a Scottish referendum. UKIP manifesto their own party leader states is nonsense. In conclusion I wouldn't hold you breathe on the Labour manifesto if it is as set in quicksand as their rivals.

I'm only interested in the Labour manifesto and where the money is coming from. The ball is in their court.

I'm only interested in the Labour manifesto and where the money is coming from. The ball is in their court.

Maybe they will just borrow more as the Tories have been doing these past 5 years :smile: All these massive cuts everywhere yet still they borrow more.

TBH I don't see a major difference between any of the main parties anymore..we are ****ed which ever way we vote.

Might be right there. I did think of a few other things to say about being ****ed but there might be kids looking :smile:
I suppose for me it is that I do and did believe that the public/private economy had got totally out of kilter where some cities (Liverpool and the big urban centres, all Scotland etc) have the state as their main employer. This is just unsustainable. The Tories have moved this round and it has been hell for some and I don't recall anyone ever saying it would be easy. I also thought it would take 10 years minimum. To have Labour come in and balls it up makes me feel why did we bother. The Tories will only have to come back in and clear up the mess. That is why I think the Tories just might sneak it. On the economy they are streets ahead and general elections are usually lost and won on the economy. Can anyone honestly say they have faith in Ed Balls as Chancellor.

Maybe they will just borrow more as the Tories have been doing these past 5 years :smile: All these massive cuts everywhere yet still they borrow more.

No, they won't need to...they can sell our gold reserves for a quarter of their worth...oh hang on.

Stealth taxes????

If you read my posts you must know my wife is Scottish and I hate the SNP. The thought of a Miliband/Salmond axis makes me feel physically sick. I personally think it would not happen but others disagree. And you believe the newspapers. I asked for evidence not opinion.
Evening Standard last night stated the official figures released yesterday were that the quarter to end December saw growth of 0.5% which was below predicted levels.
Labour announced some spending plans and Tories said they were unfunded, Tories announced spending plans and Labour said they were unfunded - don't think we are going to learn much from these kind of announcements.

0.5% growth was official though.

Evening Standard last night stated the official figures released yesterday were that the quarter to end December saw growth of 0.5% which was below predicted levels.
Labour announced some spending plans and Tories said they were unfunded, Tories announced spending plans and Labour said they were unfunded - don't think we are going to learn much from these kind of announcements.

0.5% growth was official though.

0.2% below projection but yearly growth is 2.6%. Pretty good when compared with Europe.

Might be right there. I did think of a few other things to say about being ****ed but there might be kids looking :smile:
I suppose for me it is that I do and did believe that the public/private economy had got totally out of kilter where some cities (Liverpool and the big urban centres, all Scotland etc) have the state as their main employer. This is just unsustainable. The Tories have moved this round and it has been hell for some and I don't recall anyone ever saying it would be easy. I also thought it would take 10 years minimum. To have Labour come in and balls it up makes me feel why did we bother. The Tories will only have to come back in and clear up the mess. That is why I think the Tories just might sneak it. On the economy they are streets ahead and general elections are usually lost and won on the economy. Can anyone honestly say they have faith in Ed Balls as Chancellor.

I think this one will be on the economy and the NHS..it makes little difference who is in charge these days..Corporations run governments and make the politicians their dolls. I don't go for all this austerity bollocks anyway. It is just a way to control the masses whilst the 1% get richer. The deficit has always been there, the majority of the world is in debt. It's just figures that NO government has any chance of paying off so they just print more money and fob us off with economic rubbish.

After WW1 we owed the USA 866 million,equated to in 2006,104 billion...In 1932 the USA just gave up it was becoming ridiculous. as for WW2 the money we borrowed for that we have now after 50 odd years paid back 4 billion to the USA and Canada. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6215847.stm

Where was all the shouting of "We must pay off the War loan" over the past governments..It is all Horse****.

Oh so you think that is/was a good idea then, even I shuddered at that but it was to bail out the American banks in the first place. BTW in 1970 Heath sold half of the countries Gold reserves.

http://ampp3d.mirror.co.uk/2014/04/11/the-final-word-on-gordon-browns-gold-sell-off/

Gordon Brown’s sold off 395 tonnes of our gold in 17 auctions between July 1999 and March 2002.

The average price achieved in those disposals was $275.6. Gold has since risen in value by 256% – a rate of return which would bring pride to any hedge-fund manager

Or to put it another way, 395 tonnes of gold from our official reserves that was sold for $3.5bn would have become worth considerably more.

So we appear to have lost out on billions of gains – which should turn into hundreds per tax payer.

I have no doubt that many banks profited from these sales, however I believe the true reason for the sale was more to do with with gold being perceived as lazy money.

Ultimately I would prefer whoever bought the gold to have been running our economy rather than the one who sold it.

Back