• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Lincoln City FC vs Southend Utd 16th Aug 2019 15:00hrs

What's would be your starting 11 for Saturday and what will the result be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ethan Hamilton should go straight onto the teamsheet for tomorrow.
The Premier league 2 (U23s for Cat 1 academies) is split into two divisions.....Leicester (and Ndukwu) finished bottom 4 of Division 1 last season.....Man United are actually in Division 2 of the competition and finished mid table....

I've crazily suggested Ndukwu and Hamilton in there for tomorrow, with Cox and Humphrys up front.

Harsh on Kelman, but bring him & Goodship on with 15 to go and tear them a new bottom

I want to play Hump but worry about the early elbows flying, so I would start with Charlie alongside Coxy, (or Goodship, or Theo instead of CK) AND use Hump when the ref has shown a few yellows to Lincoln's backs; and there could be confidence in dealing with fouls: not in a manner which officials allow, too often, to pass as okay in the first half.

Interesting that I'm the only one (so far) to say that I think we'll lose (in the pole). Did someone see something I didn't against Blackpool. Awful performance.

The Premier league 2 (U23s for Cat 1 academies) is split into two divisions.....Leicester (and Ndukwu) finished bottom 4 of Division 1 last season.....Man United are actually in Division 2 of the competition and finished mid table....

Man Utd’s u23 team last season was made up with a lot of lads under 20.. the likes of Greenwood, Chong, Garner, Gomes for example who also played for the u18s where they could. I don’t think you can really read to much in to where u23 sides finish in a league season.. it’s all about developing as players rather than results at that level.

On tomorrow’s game, here is what I’d like to see..

Bishop
Elvis, White, Shaughnessy, Ralph
Ndukwu, Hamilton, Milligan, Macca
Cox, Humphrys

Harsh on Kelman after his double midweek but I think Cox and Humphrys when both fit are our first choice so we need to get game time in the pair of them together. Plus Charlie could be a really good option off the bench with his pace.

I've crazily suggested Ndukwu and Hamilton in there for tomorrow, with Cox and Humphrys up front.

Harsh on Kelman, but bring him & Goodship on with 15 to go and tear them a new bottom

Interesting you’ve chosen to pick two players you’ve never seen play, here from other clubs in order to benefit their own club, over two of your own of a similar age....who are assets to SUFC ?‍♂️?

Man Utd’s u23 team last season was made up with a lot of lads under 20.. the likes of Greenwood, Chong, Garner, Gomes for example who also played for the u18s where they could. I don’t think you can really read to much in to where u23 sides finish in a league season.. it’s all about developing as players rather than results at that level.

I agree. And so will Liecester have. I was more pointing out the level of football the respective sides will have been playing at and that the player will have been playing at a level lower than Ndukwu....

On tomorrow’s game, here is what I’d like to see..

Bishop
Elvis, White, Shaughnessy, Ralph
Ndukwu, Hamilton, Milligan, Macca
Cox, Humphrys

Harsh on Kelman after his double midweek but I think Cox and Humphrys when both fit are our first choice so we need to get game time in the pair of them together. Plus Charlie could be a really good option off the bench with his pace.

There's no way Bond would be mad enough to pick that side.

That side would get completely swamped in midfield.

Hamilton is more likely to be used in a central midfield 3 or as a wide midfielder tucking in to help control the middle of the park. Unless he's been training with the squad all week I'd expect him to be on the bench anyway.

There's no way Bond would be mad enough to pick that side.

That side would get completely swamped in midfield.

Hamilton is more likely to be used in a central midfield 3 or as a wide midfielder tucking in to help control the middle of the park. Unless he's been training with the squad all week I'd expect him to be on the bench anyway.

In which case does Bond go with a 3 and have Milligan as the deeper of the 3 with Mantom and Hutch/Hamilton either side?

In which case does Bond go with a 3 and have Milligan as the deeper of the 3 with Mantom and Hutch/Hamilton either side?

I think that's a more likely set up.

Remember Bond spent much of pre-season setting us up with 3 central midfielders.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see is set up 451....or 4231 attacking. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if any of the younger players aren’t sacrificed for some “metal” or some experience and maybe a 3 man CM with Hyam and Mantom in from of Milligan with Cox as the striker....only a guess.....but my guess is he’d settle for a point right now and if needs must he’ll chuck on some legs later on....

Edited for @rigsby ?

Last edited:
I think that's a more likely set up.

Remember Bond spent much of pre-season setting us up with 3 central midfielders.

He did and in both league games thus far it’s been less than convincing. 4-3-3 is a system I actually really like if you have the right players to play it but what with the lack of out and out wingers with have in the squad and the amount of strikers we have I’d be surprised if we don’t lineup with 2 up top more often than not. As long as we don’t set up with 5 at the back again I’d be happy.

Chelsea play 433 without wingers (or did last year)

The modern way of playing 433 is actually having two attacking players playing narrow and behind the CF and 1 or both of your CMs holding allowing your full backs to give you width....something that actually suits us more and more

Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see is set up 451....or 4231 attacking. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if any of the younger players aren’t sacrificed for some “metal” or some experience and maybe a 3 man CM with Hyam and Mantom in from of Milligan with Cox as the striker....only a guess.....but my guess is he’d settle for a point right now and if needs must he’ll chick on some legs later on....

That was more PB's style on a Saturday night

Hamilton is here to play. Think he will start in a midfield three: Milligan, Mantom and Hamilton. Nice balance there potentially in a 433. Up front will be Kelman, Cox and Hutch. Although Ndukwo would be a better fit than Cox positionally in this combination I agree that the two young loanees are unlikely to start together.

The modern way of playing 433 is actually having two attacking players playing narrow and behind the CF and 1 or both of your CMs holding allowing your full backs to give you width....something that actually suits us more and more

Yes, I think this is what we are aiming for. With Dru gone, Hamilton is now a very important part of the midfield blend.

Good point. Would be asking a lot from Elvis/Demi and Ralph in an attacking sense but as we’ve seen so far Elvis and Ralph seem more than capable. I just worry that that such a system and way of playing could leave us very exposed at the back but I guess that’s where Milligan’s experience and class helps massively.

Wouldn’t at all be surprised if Kelman keeps his place. After all he’s our only player that’s scored this season!

See to me bringing two strikers on with 15 mins to go says we are ‘losing’ and desperately chasing the game

Interesting you’ve chosen to pick two players you’ve never seen play, here from other clubs in order to benefit their own club, over two of your own of a similar age....who are assets to SUFC ?‍♂️?

Absolutely, make the whole squad aware that if we are to progress...you're not that precious and it needs to have competition for places

Back