• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lots of ifs and buts, however

Tin Bath

First XI
it looks unlikely (depending on appeals) that we wont finish any worse than 5th. Now in the plays offs its 3rd vs 6th and 4th vs 5th as I understand it.

I am quite glad we are not playing leeds as I dont fancy having to go to Elland Road and playing in front of 40,000 and an intimidating atmosphere.

Now I could see Forest finishing 3rd and Doncaster 4th given the dip in form (only 2 wins in last 6), Doncaster have Luton at home which you would expect them to win but last game Cheltenham away and they are fighting for there lives so who knows.

Forest have Hartlepool away and Yeovil at home both teams have nothing to play for and with Forests better goal difference any slip by Doncaster will see Forest jump above them and I cant in all honesty see anything other than maximum points for Forest.

If i had a choice of Forest or Doncaster in the play-offs I would take the latter as like us Forest are in form won 4 of there last 5 win the last two matches ands that goes to 6 wins out of 7 and after they choked last year against Yeovil in play off semi's I think there will be extra determination on their part not to fail again.

Then again Carlisle have 2 tricky fixtures, Millwall away and Bournemouth at home, both fighting for there lives and the latter have won 5 on the spin, they need 4 points to guarantee automatics given that Forest have a better goal difference.

So who would you want to play in the semi-final play offs ?

Last edited:
I'd like to avoid Leeds all together - I think Elland Road would be very intimidating as well... I think we'd be capable of beating any of the others on our current run - based on games this year - Donacaster might be the best team so maybe avoiding them would be good!!!

I'd like to avoid Leeds all together - I think Elland Road would be very intimidating as well... I think we'd be capable of beating any of the others on our current run - based on games this year - Donacaster might be the best team so maybe avoiding them would be good!!!

I don't disagree about Elland Road being intimidating as it will be. However all the prssure will be on big club Leeds to dispose of the minnows with ease. And the longer they go without scoring the more likely the players are to get tense and get the crowd on their backs.

I've said before I would prefer to avoid Doncaster of the teams I have seen this season the best in the division behind Swansea.

I'd like to avoid Notts Forest. We dont have a good record at their place, and although we were all over them in the first half at Roots Hall we actually created very few opportunities in front of goal. They have a very good defensive record and as someone else has stated, after last years disaster they had against Yeovil, will be more determined this time round with that experience behind them.

For me I would like to see Forest and Leeds matched together in the play offs, and us beat Leeds at Wembley!

I don't disagree about Elland Road being intimidating as it will be. However all the prssure will be on big club Leeds to dispose of the minnows with ease. And the longer they go without scoring the more likely the players are to get tense and get the crowd on their backs.

I've said before I would prefer to avoid Doncaster of the teams I have seen this season the best in the division behind Swansea.

Canveyshrimper, to be honest you would beat Rovers over two legs, we are in a shocking run of form at the moment only matched by Carlisle, we couldn't even beat a very ordinary Orient side on Saturday.

Canveyshrimper, to be honest you would beat Rovers over two legs, we are in a shocking run of form at the moment only matched by Carlisle, we couldn't even beat a very ordinary Orient side on Saturday.

Admire your pessimism Les, but we don't have a great recent record against Donny, IIRC the 3 we scored against you earlier in the season were the first goals we've got against you in about 6 games.

I still have a sneaky suspicion we will end up going up automatically - Leeds 15 points permitting.

I can't see Carlisle winning another game. Doncaster may well lose at Cheltenham on the final day, if Cheltenham still need to win to stay up; and Forest will lose at Hartlepool on Saturday.

Mate of mine was at Brisbane Road on saturday (who is a west ham fan) and he said it was a shocking game from both sides.

Trouble is...All this speculation about opponents etc and form is peripheral in my view.Whilst confidence going into a play off is to be welcomed, its what happens on the day.Remember when we beat Northampton and Lincoln.Our pre play off form had been quite poor but we had enough, just, over 3 tight games to come through.Most of this in my book is down to mental strength which I'd like to think with the likes of Flahavan, Barrett, Clarke, Bailey and McCormack we have a fair share of!

I still have a sneaky suspicion we will end up going up automatically - Leeds 15 points permitting.

I can't see Carlisle winning another game. Doncaster may well lose at Cheltenham on the final day, if Cheltenham still need to win to stay up; and Forest will lose at Hartlepool on Saturday.

I love your thinking but I still feel it's just a couple of points out of our reach unfortunately!

Agree with you Glasgow, I think Carlisle will just struggle across the line and get the second auto place, and be left for the rest of us to fight it out through the playoffs.

We have beating all but lost once to all but Forest. I know that contray to what alot of people think we don't want to play Southend, who are the form team of the league. Howver it reall is more luck and which players turn up on these big occasions.

We have beating all but lost once to all but Forest. I know that contray to what alot of people think we don't want to play Southend, who are the form team of the league. Howver it reall is more luck and which players turn up on these big occasions.

Exactly. In my opinion the play-offs are horrible games to watch if you are a fan of one of the clubs in them(obviously until the 90th minute as long as you win)

I can remember laughing my bolloxs off a good few months ago at colin stains whilst we were on a dosmal run around christmas, well he predicted we would be playing leeds in the play off cup fnal at wembley

i think they should get them back plus Interest at 2% above Bank Base Rates making a total award of about 17 points.......:cool:

I'd love to think like that but having looked at the games Carlisle have left I believe we have no chance. One of the games is Bournemouth at home.

Back