• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Low Carbohydrate Diet

A Century United

Firewalking for HD
Had a blood test for my Cholesterol the other day, and it transpires that my cholesterol was up at 7.9 (under 5 is OK) but my Triglycerides were up at 11 when they should be 2. My dad had a stroke at the age of 40, so it looks as if this could be genetic. Have been put on 40mg of Statins which has brought my cholesterol down to 4.7, but my triglycerides are still up at 6, three times what they should be. I am a vegetarian already, so diet isn't causing this. I have seen that a lot of research shows that a low-carbohydrate diet can bring triglycerides down.

Has anyone on here tried a low-carb diet (Atkins or similar) and how did it go? Any hints, tips, menus recipes gratefully received!

:)

i think cutting down on alcohol can help too.. i'm not an expert but have done some work on statins, make sure you keep in touch with your doctor as switching statins can help as well, they are funny drugs because it's pretty much trial and error with them. i don't really know anything about low carb diets apart from that they have shown to lower levels of triglycerides, so can't be any help im afraid!

not to put pressure on the doc here, but i assume you are on one of simvastatin, atorvastatin or pravastatin. all three have been proven to reduce trigylceride levels as so it's probably worth seeing if he will switch you to a different one if you are still struggling to get them down

Had a blood test for my Cholesterol the other day, and it transpires that my cholesterol was up at 7.9 (under 5 is OK) but my Triglycerides were up at 11 when they should be 2. My dad had a stroke at the age of 40, so it looks as if this could be genetic. Have been put on 40mg of Statins which has brought my cholesterol down to 4.7, but my triglycerides are still up at 6, three times what they should be. I am a vegetarian already, so diet isn't causing this. I have seen that a lot of research shows that a low-carbohydrate diet can bring triglycerides down.

Has anyone on here tried a low-carb diet (Atkins or similar) and how did it go? Any hints, tips, menus recipes gratefully received!

:)

I've recently lost a lot of weight as a necessity for my health, back last summer I had various blood tests, and found my BP was off the scale, and my blood sugar was 6.2 which is in type 2 diabetes territory. Oddly my cholesterol was 5.8 which under the circumstances wasn't bad. I followed a VLCD (very low calorie diet), and as a result I have shed 8.5 stone since September last year. My recent blood tests showed my BP as normal, cholesterol at 5, and blood sugar at 5.4. I know fbm on here followed the same diet last year, and it was his blog that put me onto the diet.

I do have loads of tips, info, recipes etc, if you want any further info, advice PM me. Good luck.

i think cutting down on alcohol can help too.. i'm not an expert but have done some work on statins, make sure you keep in touch with your doctor as switching statins can help as well, they are funny drugs because it's pretty much trial and error with them. i don't really know anything about low carb diets apart from that they have shown to lower levels of triglycerides, so can't be any help im afraid!

Thanks for the response and advice, JT.
Don't drink that much anymore, but I do like my bitter now and then :(

not to put pressure on the doc here, but i assume you are on one of simvastatin, atorvastatin or pravastatin. all three have been proven to reduce trigylceride levels as so it's probably worth seeing if he will switch you to a different one if you are still struggling to get them down

Yes, Atorvarstatin. The Doc (she is very straightforward and honest, top lady) chose that one because it usually has the most effect on Triglycerides, but I am sure she would switch them around if necessary. At the moment she has put me on 10 capsules of Maxepa a day, (standardised high-strength fish oil) because that lowers TG's too, and I have to go back in 3 months for another blood test. She very kindly suggested that I could do with losing "a pound or two" :hilarious: more like two to three stone. My problem with that is that because of my wife's illness and my two darling children's occasionaly "challenging" behaviour I am fairly stressed, which means comfort eating (I have no will power!!!). I did lose over a stone on a low calorie diet but it soon went back on. I want to try the low carb route because of its claimed ability to lower TG's, and because I don't have to limit my intake quite so much.

I've recently lost a lot of weight as a necessity for my health, back last summer I had various blood tests, and found my BP was off the scale, and my blood sugar was 6.2 which is in type 2 diabetes territory. Oddly my cholesterol was 5.8 which under the circumstances wasn't bad. I followed a VLCD (very low calorie diet), and as a result I have shed 8.5 stone since September last year. My recent blood tests showed my BP as normal, cholesterol at 5, and blood sugar at 5.4. I know fbm on here followed the same diet last year, and it was his blog that put me onto the diet.

I do have loads of tips, info, recipes etc, if you want any further info, advice PM me. Good luck.

Blimey, Canvey, that is worrying stuff, but losing 8 1/2 stone in 9 months is amazing, well done! As I have said in reply to JT, I want to try the low carb diet first because of its benefits to my triglyceride levels, but if it doesn't work I will certainly be back for info on your diet.

Thanks Glasgow, it helps that I can now fit on my seat in the East Stand.:D

Also my good wishes to ACU.

Cheers for that, Canvey, and thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the response and advice, JT.
Don't drink that much anymore, but I do like my bitter now and then :(

Yes, Atorvarstatin. The Doc (she is very straightforward and honest, top lady) chose that one because it usually has the most effect on Triglycerides, but I am sure she would switch them around if necessary. At the moment she has put me on 10 capsules of Maxepa a day, (standardised high-strength fish oil) because that lowers TG's too, and I have to go back in 3 months for another blood test. She very kindly suggested that I could do with losing "a pound or two" :hilarious: more like two to three stone. My problem with that is that because of my wife's illness and my two darling children's occasionaly "challenging" behaviour I am fairly stressed, which means comfort eating (I have no will power!!!). I did lose over a stone on a low calorie diet but it soon went back on. I want to try the low carb route because of its claimed ability to lower TG's, and because I don't have to limit my intake quite so much.

spot on.. i think the best option is to give it some time, try and cut out the fatty 'comfort' foods and to maybe see if you can get a referral to a dietician. Low-carb diets are in fashion and there are studies that show a positive effect on lowering TGs... however you don't get a rounded healthy diet and much of the foods you are allowed to eat (meat, dairy etc) are key contributors to high cholesterol.

my tip would be to follow carefully what your doctor says and to voice your concerns with her if your TGs continue to stay high

Blimey, Canvey, that is worrying stuff, but losing 8 1/2 stone in 9 months is amazing, well done! As I have said in reply to JT, I want to try the low carb diet first because of its benefits to my triglyceride levels, but if it doesn't work I will certainly be back for info on your diet.

Cheers for that, Canvey, and thanks for the advice.

Thanks ACU, and will be very happy to help if possible. Stress is one thing that led me to "comfort" eating, but it wasn't really a comfort and only succeeded in exacerbating my problems. As a result I now follow a fairly low carb GI diet, and although I'm not a vegetarian I rarely if ever eat red meat these days. I find that fish, chicken & turkey are much better alternatives.

Also I thought that low fat or virtually fat free, meant no taste, how wrong can you be. I eat loads of fruit and veg and find that an investment in a steamer was money well spent. I can now enjoy the please of a glass or two of wine and a few beers without guilt. It seems I've turned into a born again food fascist, but I realised that before I was quickly killing myself.

Back