• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Prosser in a holding midfield role isn't a bad shout in terms of a short term option, he would break up play, definatly keep his positional discipline and he is more than capable of playing the simple ball to the flair players. I am sure there would be a few issues but his vocal presence and height could be a huge bonus. I personally think he would give us more in there than young Woodyard.

For me though, he was playing well at centre half and I think he has been treated a tad harsh.

Last edited:
What are the alternatives with the present squad ?
Please don't say Leonard.

I don't believe we have anyone in our squad currently that can play the role Tam did for us. This is more important a position to strengthen than left back or centre forward where we are also short. If we get one player in over Jan it has to be in midfield or we shall continue to struggle even more so now Laird shall be out for several weeks.

Prosser is not mobile enough to play in this area. You give him a man or area to defend then he can do it but he is not a ball player nor mobile enough to harry the opposition in these areas.

Barker is a better left back and should be ahead of Prosser & Straker. At centre back Prosser was playing well and perhaps can consider himself a little hard done by, but sometimes the best players must play. Phillips and Cresswell are the better two in that position and so should start.

I beg to differ. Luke always seems comfortable on the ball and if he has an outlet will play a simple ball to feet. It's when he plays LB and has no help whatsoever he has to hit long into the channels. Sitting in front of the back four will give a bit more time on the ball and abit less pressure. I'd give him a go there

In my opinion Prosser is one of the lesser technically gifted players in the squad. He often gives me the opinion that the ball is a "hot potato" and is keen to get rid. The reason this is shown up more at left back is that he has less options in the direction he can go hence the "long balls into the channels". The reason he has looked better at centre half is because he has simply defended (and done it well) and left the distribution duties to others; something he couldn't do if playing just in front of the back four.

I beg to differ. Luke always seems comfortable on the ball and if he has an outlet will play a simple ball to feet. It's when he plays LB and has no help whatsoever he has to hit long into the channels. Sitting in front of the back four will give a bit more time on the ball and abit less pressure. I'd give him a go there

You have got o be joking? Prosser is one of the most nervous players I have ever seen. One mistake and he goes to pot. He has grown on me as a centre back but he is a limited defender with the ball at his feet.He is also IMHO not enough of an athlete to play in that position.

Centre back fine, holding midfielder no thanks.

I don't believe we have anyone in our squad currently that can play the role Tam did for us. This is more important a position to strengthen than left back or centre forward where we are also short. If we get one player in over Jan it has to be in midfield or we shall continue to struggle even more so now Laird shall be out for several weeks.

Prosser is not mobile enough to play in this area. You give him a man or area to defend then he can do it but he is not a ball player nor mobile enough to harry the opposition in these areas.

Sure , totally agree , it's a priority.
What I'm saying is that until we do , what are the alternatives ?
People are saying he was unlucky to be dropped ( which he was ) , so why not use him as a stop-gap until ( or if ) we solve this problem.
With Laird out , I don't see that we have many options...............

Just a question to see what others think, I know the midfield is not protecting the side at the moment, but I wonder whether Prosser being out of the side has also made us look weaker at the back.

Don't get me wrong, if we was starting a season fresh and I was picking my best team on paper, then the defence that I would pick would be Clohessy, Phillips, Cresswell and Barker, however it's not the start of the season and various things have happened. Players lose form, others get injured, suspensions happen etc

I really rate Prosser, he never moans at being a squad player and perhaps in a strange way, that has been his downfall and made it easier for Mr Sturrock to drop him for Mark Phillips.

During a large chunk of our unbeaten run, I personally thought that Prosser was arguably our stand out defender (Clohessey is always decent). It just seems to me that with Phillips returning from injury (although clearly not match fit) that Sturrock has felt under pressure (maybe from himself) to get Phillips in the side.

Cressell is a passionate defender who is an old fashioned head and volley player, Phillips of course is the reigning POTY. I just wonder though, do there attacking threats mask over any defensive lack of form!!!

Personally, although I really like Cresswell and Phillips, I think dropping our form defender (Prosser) was a mistake and wonder whether we are missing him and his vocal presence and organiser at the back, even more so with a mute in goal.

Thoughts?

Agree entirely. Prosser had been outstanding in recent weeks. Moreover dropping him has unbalanced our defence. We need whoever plays between Barker and Cresswell/Phillips to be able to run and turn. Prosser does this and reads the game. He balances the defence.

With Clohessy spending much of his time in the opposition half, how slow is a defence of Barker, Cresswell, Phillips? There's no pace there and they are all slow turning.

Prosser is a far better fit for this defence (plus is a natural left-sided centre-back whereas the other two are right-sided centre-backs).

In my opinion Prosser is one of the lesser technically gifted players in the squad. He often gives me the opinion that the ball is a "hot potato" and is keen to get rid. The reason this is shown up more at left back is that he has less options in the direction he can go hence the "long balls into the channels". The reason he has looked better at centre half is because he has simply defended (and done it well) and left the distribution duties to others; something he couldn't do if playing just in front of the back four.

Nothing to do with technique and all to do with confidence. He has a better touch than Cresswell or Phillips but they are more confident with theirs.

I don't think he's a midfielder or left-back though.

As I've said previously, dropping Prosser to accommodate Phillips has also unsettled Cresswell as he's moved across to the left side of the centre pairing whereas with Prosser he was on the right. To me it can't be coincidence that we've started to concede more, although I think the loss of Mkandawire clouds the issue.

I don't think Prosser is comfortable enough on the ball to play anywhere in midfield.

He was unlucky to be dropped from centre half where he is best with his no nonsense defensive abilities. I certainly believe it has been his best spell at the club so far.

Indeed, his passing/distribution is awful.

Definitely not a midfielder.

As I've said previously, dropping Prosser to accommodate Phillips has also unsettled Cresswell as he's moved across to the left side of the centre pairing whereas with Prosser he was on the right. To me it can't be coincidence that we've started to concede more, although I think the loss of Mkandawire clouds the issue.

The loss of Mkandawire is far more significant. Our midfield is very poor again and really need to get someone decent in if we want to improve. Just putting Prosser in the side will not resolve anything.

Joining this debate late, but I do think that Prosser shouldn't have been dropped for Phillips.

Since he staked a claim in the centre he has looked assured and confident. I don't like him at left back at all, when he played there last season he switched off too many times for me and got caught out a lot, but this season he looks to have put on more muscle and has been focussed throughout.

Even though I really like him, I also think that there's no doubt that he is our worst offender for just launching the ball forwards, even when he has time, but this isn't so much of an issue as when our entire back line was doing the same.

Interesting idea to play him in front of the back four, I agree that it would be worth a shout, especially away from home.

Leave him in centre of defense where he belongs and where he has been playing well. Poor bloke needs some stability!

Put Timlin (or even Bomber?) in the front of back 4, Hurst in the middle and Straker left mid.

GK
Philips Cressy Prosser
Sean.......Timlin .......straker
hurst woody
Tomlin ... Corr / Brit / Freddy

Leave him in centre of defense where he belongs and where he has been playing well. Poor bloke needs some stability!

Put Timlin (or even Bomber?) in the front of back 4, Hurst in the middle and Straker left mid.

GK
Philips Cressy Prosser
Sean.......Timlin .......straker
hurst woody
Tomlin ... Corr / Brit / Freddy

Neil Harris as a holding midfielder ?

Interesting.

Totally insane.

But interesting.

PS 1990 called, they want their three centre backs tactics back :smile:

Neil Harris as a holding midfielder ?

Interesting.

Totally insane.

But interesting.

PS 1990 called, they want their three centre backs tactics back :smile:

Sometimes you gotta adjust your formation to suit your team/the situation of the match.
If you were at Oxford last week we were getting totally over run then at half time went 3 at the back + our wing backs absolutely ran them ragged.

Ive been keen on playing Clohessey in a more attacking role for a while now , and the limitations elsewhere in our squad does suit the 3-5-2

I think the gaffer will start 4-4-2 tom night but knows he can re jig it if need be.

Not confident at all about the Brentford game , but its a funny old game , Saint

Sometimes you gotta adjust your formation to suit your team/the situation of the match.
If you were at Oxford last week we were getting totally over run then at half time went 3 at the back + our wing backs absolutely ran them ragged.

Ive been keen on playing Clohessey in a more attacking role for a while now , and the limitations elsewhere in our squad does suit the 3-5-2

I think the gaffer will start 4-4-2 tom night but knows he can re jig it if need be.

Not confident at all about the Brentford game , but its a funny old game , Saint

Disagree, what is needed is stability and a system the players are comfortable with.

442 has served us well and what got us on a good run. Having the option when chasing a game to go 3 at the back is one thing when you need to get extra bodies forward, but as a starting formation ? No thanks. Might as well start Cresswell up front....

Back