• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Macca out on the lash

Bromley Blue

The artist formerly known as the_saafender
After another woeful and disheartening performance on Saturday against Yeovil I attempted to drown my sorrows with a night out for a friend's birthday. At the end of the night I was crossing the road outside Varsity and crossing in the other direction was Alan McCormack.

Initially pleased to see a player out I said hello and wished him luck for the rest of the season. However, once in the taxi I thought about it some more. I know the players are entitled to have social lives and everything and relax. But Macca's been nowhere near the form of last season. Obviously he's out injured at the mo but does he really need the added challenge of burning off a few pints along with recovering from injuries and trying to rediscover his best form. We really need him at the mo and need him to come back and hit the ground running.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but I'm gutted to see the team I love in freefall and things like this make me wonder whether the players care.

Thoughts?

I can see your point but Macca's injured plus if players are allowed one night out a week it should be the night after the game.

I'm sure he's a responsible guy with his head screwed on so this doesn't worry me whatsoever.

I like Macca but don't defend his right to booze. They are professionals who get paid enough money to look after thereselves. Being out with an injury doesn't mean it's time to get ****ed up. There's a time and place for it. 16th in the league and freefalling fast is not the time in my eyes.

Don't be so naive as to think that these booze ups are only on match evenings and once a week at the most......he isn't the only one mind you.

After another woeful and disheartening performance on Saturday against Yeovil I attempted to drown my sorrows with a night out for a friend's birthday. At the end of the night I was crossing the road outside Varsity and crossing in the other direction was Alan McCormack.

Initially pleased to see a player out I said hello and wished him luck for the rest of the season. However, once in the taxi I thought about it some more. I know the players are entitled to have social lives and everything and relax. But Macca's been nowhere near the form of last season. Obviously he's out injured at the mo but does he really need the added challenge of burning off a few pints along with recovering from injuries and trying to rediscover his best form. We really need him at the mo and need him to come back and hit the ground running.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but I'm gutted to see the team I love in freefall and things like this make me wonder whether the players care.

Thoughts?

sure you weren't just proper sozzled and imagined it? ;)

Did you see him drinking??? that's shocking!!!

ffs, let him have a life.

Mate this is a forum for discussion. I said "maybe I'm being too harsh" because I wasnt sure whether I was overreacting to be disappointed. It had just been a bad day in terms of the result and I was feeling (and still am) pretty low about our chances this season.

I started this thread to see what people's opinions were...

You saw him crossing the road - how do you know he was out drinking?

And no I didnt actually see him with pint in hand. And he wasnt staggering across the road. So how much (if any) he'd had I dont know. I'm hoping he was the model professional we need him to be at the moment n was taking it easy. I've just heard stuff on here about his facebook showing him on the lash a lot.

But it was about 3:30 in the morning and whilst I was on my way home it looked like his night had just begun.

I can't say I'm too bothered about him going out and having a few drinks, especially at the moment. I know he's an athlete and everything, but he's injured and in any case, going out for a few drinks on a Saturday night after the match (as long as it's not a bender!) is not going to do too much harm. Ramos' super-strict dietary regime didn't get Spurs very far either!

if its his one night out aweek fair enough - but why go out in Southend ??? surely sooner or later a boozed up "fan" is going to want to "chat"

last year i took the wife for a nice weekend break in swansea to coincide with our thrashing at the Liberty -

afterwards the Swans players were in the hotel having there Xmas party - all on juice or water -

except for Robinson -

they now play in the CCC - except for Robinson -

if you want the life of a highly paid professional athlete you got to pay the price -

the a few pints don't do you any harm doesn't apply if you maximum performance for 90 mins -

Thoughts?

So you instantly assumed he was out drinking?

Have you considered he might have innocently been popping out for 20 Park Drive and a king sized doner?

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, Macca is on my friends list on Facebook (Yes, I know, stalker alert) and I did do a double take, when just after our Crewe game was called off, meaning Macca would miss out on the replay against Chelsea, his status read, along the lines of ".... is looking forward to his birthday weekend with the boys, his liver is going to look like a raison on Monday"

Now, I don't have an issue with players having a social life and enjoying the off pint or two, but it strikes me thatperhaps you should, when you have thousands of people turning up each week to spend good money on watching you, that you need to have a little more professionalism.

I don't know about Saturday night because I wasn't there, but surely when you're at this level and you want to play as high as you can during your career, you should be taking more care of yourself and your body.

Bobby Moore used to drink like a fish apparently but he is without a doubt one of (if not the) greatest players the world has ever seen or is ever likely to see.

The booze culture is nothing like it used to be in football back in years gone by. I do not think we need to recline in shock horror that one of our players was out on the town in the early hours of the morning after a game persuing a social life. How do you know he was not coming back from a meal even if you didn't see him as you put it "on the last" and he showed no signs of being drunk?

Bobby Moore used to drink like a fish apparently but he is without a doubt one of (if not the) greatest players the world has ever seen or is ever likely to see.

The booze culture is nothing like it used to be in football back in years gone by. I do not think we need to recline in shock horror that one of our players was out on the town in the early hours of the morning after a game persuing a social life. How do you know he was not coming back from a meal even if you didn't see him as you put it "on the last" and he showed no signs of being drunk?

I would imagine if Bobby Moore had one day found himself playing for Southend that he might have knocked the boozing on the head and tried a bit harder.

I would imagine if Bobby Moore had one day found himself playing for Southend that he might have knocked the boozing on the head and tried a bit harder.

Or perhaps like Frank Lampard when he joined us, just carried on drinking then retired from playing football?

Back