• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Macca out on the lash

Its all a matter of commitment and the level to which each individual is willing to make sacrfices to reach the limit of their potential.

Its all about what you want and what you are willing to forgo to do so.

a few years ago I used to compete at Athletics. basically I was old , and not very good, but I wanted to do the very best i could , I did not conciously make the decision no to drink, but I found that after a while I just didn't want to do anything which would have an effect on my goal.

I would imagine that its sacrifices and determination which takes a number of "average" players to levels other, more skillfull players could only dream about.

I am not concerned that Macca has gone out for a drink, I am just a little dissapointed about his priorities.

Two examples here, John Terry, likes a drink, forever getting niggling injuries, will not play until he's 35, Ledley King, so much of a drink problem he's got some real issues that I've heard of at Spurs, how true it is I don't know but his problem has got wayyyy out of hand and Redknapp can't deal with it and there's more cases like this at every club, this is a storm in a teacup and a means of trying to substantiate the quagmire we're in at the moment.

I'm in no way saying that Macca drinking is getting him injured but even I know if you want to get better you need to look after your body, however, if there was deemed to be a problem with his social beign, the management, coaches and doctors at SUFC would be doing all they could to assess it and saying that player X needs to be out for 6 weeks with a "hamstring problem" etc whilst winging him off to the nearest drying out clinic, I seriously doubt we're heading back to a Whelan inspired drink off.

These players deserve a night out and I echo the sentiment that if you've just been tonked yeah you feel the need to go and get leathered, but we really cannot be shouldering the responsibility of a fall from grace for a team who are looking decidedly jeykll and hyde this season on just one man based on him going out with his mates and getting wrecked for a birthday etc.

Just think how many of the 1981 squad were puffing their way through 60 a day on a liquid diet...

Brian Dear and Bobby Moore - drinking buddies till the end. I heard a story about when Bobby was managing us at Roots Hall, and he'd been drinking with Brian at the Halfway House, which was Brian's gaff at the time. Bobby turned up at Roots Hall at about ten to 3, fell arse over face as he walked into the dressing room, dusted himself down and said "right lads, you know who's playing, just go out and win", and you know what - they did.

Brian Dear and Bobby Moore - drinking buddies till the end. I heard a story about when Bobby was managing us at Roots Hall, and he'd been drinking with Brian at the Halfway House, which was Brian's gaff at the time. Bobby turned up at Roots Hall at about ten to 3, fell arse over face as he walked into the dressing room, dusted himself down and said "right lads, you know who's playing, just go out and win", and you know what - they did.

Maybe Tilly should try this!

Bobby Moore used to drink like a fish apparently but he is without a doubt one of (if not the) greatest players the world has ever seen or is ever likely to see.

The booze culture is nothing like it used to be in football back in years gone by. I do not think we need to recline in shock horror that one of our players was out on the town in the early hours of the morning after a game persuing a social life. How do you know he was not coming back from a meal even if you didn't see him as you put it "on the last" and he showed no signs of being drunk?

In the old days, the fitness levels were nothing like they are now and everyone was around about the same level (at there own standard).So the drinkers and smokers were not really shown to be wanting

This day and age, when everyone is after that extra bit the more commited player will do what he can to get that (be it train a bit during the summer, not drink, eat less pies etc, some even go for the illegal boosts) One would question the motivation of those who don't.

Macca puts 110% into every game, often putting the team at a disadvantage by doing so (getting booked , giving free kicks away) and everyone loves him for it. If , perhaps , this 110% attidude were to be put into his fitness regime, he might make less late challenges.

I was queuing at the gates by the East/North paddock area many years ago, and a car pulled up into one of the reserved spaces there, and overshot into the wall and bounced off a little. Out stepped a sheepish Bobby Moore who gave as an embarrased wave and wandered off into the stadium. I were but young then, so didn't realise the probable cause but I am more cynical now.

Bobby Moore used to drink like a fish apparently but he is without a doubt one of (if not the) greatest players the world has ever seen or is ever likely to see.
quote]

Both Bobby Charlton and Franny Lee used to drink and smoke a ****load and rumour has it Geoff Astle was frequently seen injecting heroin into a knob vein.

They are now either fat, bald or dead.

There's a lesson here for all of us...

The lesson is you can't libel the dead.

Well he would have tried anything

Bobby Moore Started: Feb-1984 Finished: Apr-1986
League results: Played 109 Won 35 Drew 26 Lost 48 Goals for 147 Goals Against 175 Success 44.04%
1983-1984 season Div 3 finished 22nd - Relegated
1984-1985 season Div 4 Finsihed 20th (Beating Torquay on the last game of the season to avoid re-election)
1985-1986 Div 4 finished 9th - largely due to Richard Cadette's 25 goals

The game has definatly moved on from those days , Arsene wenger has a zero booze policy and his opinion is that if they can't make that sacrifice for 9 months of the year then he won't make the sacrifice of paying them 80 k a week and 500k signing on fee .

The foriegners have changed the diets of players with rumours of Wenger making sure down to the smallest detail that his players refrain from eating even tomato ketchup because of its sugar levels .

I'm torn between opinions here as i love a good booze and after having a blinding game , theres nothing better , but if i was earning 150k plus after bonuses etc and my boss told me not to booze 9 months of the year , could i do it , yes i think i could .

Our boozing culture as a nation looked at by the europeans as to why we don't do better on the world stage.

The game has definatly moved on from those days , Arsene wenger has a zero booze policy and his opinion is that if they can't make that sacrifice for 9 months of the year then he won't make the sacrifice of paying them 80 k a week and 500k signing on fee .

The foriegners have changed the diets of players with rumours of Wenger making sure down to the smallest detail that his players refrain from eating even tomato ketchup because of its sugar levels .
I'm torn between opinions here as i love a good booze and after having a blinding game , theres nothing better , but if i was earning 150k plus after bonuses etc and my boss told me not to booze 9 months of the year , could i do it , yes i think i could .

Our boozing culture as a nation looked at by the europeans as to why we don't do better on the world stage.

That's quote surprising bearing in mind that instead of oranges at half time Arsenal players have chocolate. Seriously.

Macca's often in the local pub... Normally every other day and often has a chinese once a week.

They have a social life just like everyone else, although they should not go over the limit as they are a 'role model'.

If you've heard the rumours (alledgedly) of macca then you probably know that he's anything but a rolemodel.

Arsenal made Gallas move house cos they didn't want him driving an hour a day each way - bad for your knees -

Mourinho said it was all about the details -

If you drink the nite before you are still going to be affected at training next morning - a bit off balance - hence a training injuries -

getting properly bladdered actually has some bad affects on the muscles -

couple of pints/glasses of wine once a week is about all they should be on .... .....

they can always drop down a division and find another club

Arsenal made Gallas move house cos they didn't want him driving an hour a day each way - bad for your knees -

Mourinho said it was all about the details -

If you drink the nite before you are still going to be affected at training next morning - a bit off balance - hence a training injuries -

getting properly bladdered actually has some bad affects on the muscles -

couple of pints/glasses of wine once a week is about all they should be on .... .....

they can always drop down a division and find another club

Has someone told you about my brewers droop?:)

Don't care if he goes out and has a few bevvies,i'm more concerned with the possibility of him getting hold of loads of old sorts.
He was supposed to be recovering from a groin strain!
And a bit of how's yer father certainly won't help that:nope:

That's quote surprising bearing in mind that instead of oranges at half time Arsenal players have chocolate. Seriously.

I'm guessing that at half time that is fine as you need the energy levels to be high when need be in the second half , but in general i bet he frowns upon eating chocolate etc.

Its all about how much and how far you want to make it as a footballer IMO , just think how good Adams and Merson and Gazza could of been if it weren't for the booze .

Yes they were class players but surley being teetotal would of made them even better players .........frightening really .

Remember the "dentist chair" and the England World Cup Squad a few years back? Drinking's endemic in the culture amongst the players and their WAGs. So long as it doesn't affect their performance, and they're not continually seen rolling out of clubs/pubs totally wasted I don't see a problem. Isn't MArk Gower who's suddenly a paragon of virtue and brilliance on here supposed to like a drink or two?

Remember the "dentist chair" and the England World Cup Squad a few years back? Drinking's endemic in the culture amongst the players and their WAGs. So long as it doesn't affect their performance, and they're not continually seen rolling out of clubs/pubs totally wasted I don't see a problem. Isn't MArk Gower who's suddenly a paragon of virtue and brilliance on here supposed to like a drink or two?

Quite possibly. At our level there is a world of difference between the tollerable level of alcohol say Arsene Wegner [Duncan Bulgaria reply] would allow, compared with us - as much difference as the wages [£3K with £150K p.w]

Some players would I venture to say play brilliantly given a large brandy pre kick off [medicinal purposes], like an adrenalin rush and relaxant, realease of inhibitions etc and would disguise any niggling pains and aches.

The others would fall asleep, but then again some appear comatosed on the pitch occassionally, anyway.

As far as I know alcohol is not a banned substance 5 mins before ko and maybe T & B should try it ??? Might loosen them up a degree or two.

If that does not work perhaps force them to have another large one at half time.

Last edited:
If a player chooses to unwind drinking, then that is their prerogerative. They probably have come to the conclusion that they have reached the zenith of their career. I can't see Gower playing in the Prem. Yet, Leon Cort, who I never saw drink, is there and a model pro.

Back