• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Macca out on the lash

Remember the "dentist chair" and the England World Cup Squad a few years back? Drinking's endemic in the culture amongst the players and their WAGs. So long as it doesn't affect their performance, and they're not continually seen rolling out of clubs/pubs totally wasted I don't see a problem. Isn't MArk Gower who's suddenly a paragon of virtue and brilliance on here supposed to like a drink or two?

The dentist chair incident was frwoned upon by our media as a main factor as to why we didn't win that tournament and also Gower was probably the most unfit player for some time at our club , yes he had injuries , but he used to run out of steam after 50 minutes , i'm not saying that was drink related but i'm sure it doesn't help matters .

As far as I know alcohol is not a banned substance 5 mins before ko and maybe T & B should try it ??? Might loosen them up a degree or two.

If that does not work perhaps force them to have another large one at half time.

The IOC consider Alchohol to be a performance enhancing drug.
I think this is due to the capability for large amounts of energy to be rapidly released by the metabolism of Alcohol (the =OH bond, if my A level chemistry memory is still working after 32 years)
however the soporific and dehydrating effects far exceed the benefits so it is not used as a performance enhancer

The IOC consider Alchohol to be a performance enhancing drug.
I think this is due to the capability for large amounts of energy to be rapidly released by the metabolism of Alcohol (the =OH bond, if my A level chemistry memory is still working after 32 years)
however the soporific and dehydrating effects far exceed the benefits so it is not used as a performance enhancer

Way, way, way over my head I have to admit. But with our form ATM I would be prerared to lace their powerade for a desirable effect on the pitch

I recall both Fitzpatrick and Lawson were roundly castigated for their far from healthy dietary habits and Gary Cross for his liking for fags

Hope not , i'm on a stag do with him in 3 weeks and don't want of that man loving shenanigans going on !!

From http://espn.go.com/special/s/drugsandsports/alcohol.html

What effect does alcohol have on performance?
Alcohol is generally not considered to be a performance-enhancing substance, and it has numerous deleterious effects associated with its use. According to Wadler, "Its effects depend upon a number of factors, including how much and how fast one drinks, the individual's size and how much food is in the stomach." The effects of alcohol are directly related to the concentration (percentage) of alcohol in the blood; however, the effects vary among individuals and even in the same individual at different times. Additionally, an acute tolerance may develop whereby increasing amounts are necessary to produce the same effect.

The detrimental effects of alcohol on performance are extremely well documented and include impairment of the following:

Balance and steadiness

Reaction time

Fine and complex motor skills

Information processing

Boisterousness, unsteadiness, slurred speech

Nausea, vomiting, marked unsteadiness, drowsiness

"Additionally, alcohol may impair temperature regulation during prolonged exercise in the cold, and in the heat, its diuretic effect may lead to dehydration," says Wadler. "Poorly appreciated is the fact that athletes who socially consume excessive alcohol the evening after a practice or a game may subsequently have an impairment of athletic skills for as long as 14 hours." Hangovers, the residual or "day-after" effect of alcoholic consumption, can result in symptoms of headaches, nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, dehydration, and body aches that can diminish athletic performance.

I was mistaken about the IOC, they do not consider Alcohol to be a peformance enhancer because of the detrimental effects , despite of its high energy, low fat, protein etc content

Drinking while you are injured is the worst time you can drink. It inhibits repair of ligaments/muscles etc and the fact that you are not getting any exercise doubles any other effects that the alcohol may have.

From http://espn.go.com/special/s/drugsandsports/alcohol.html

What effect does alcohol have on performance?
Alcohol is generally not considered to be a performance-enhancing substance, and it has numerous deleterious effects associated with its use. According to Wadler, "Its effects depend upon a number of factors, including how much and how fast one drinks, the individual's size and how much food is in the stomach." The effects of alcohol are directly related to the concentration (percentage) of alcohol in the blood; however, the effects vary among individuals and even in the same individual at different times. Additionally, an acute tolerance may develop whereby increasing amounts are necessary to produce the same effect.

The detrimental effects of alcohol on performance are extremely well documented and include impairment of the following:

Balance and steadiness

Reaction time

Fine and complex motor skills

Information processing

Boisterousness, unsteadiness, slurred speech

Nausea, vomiting, marked unsteadiness, drowsiness

"Additionally, alcohol may impair temperature regulation during prolonged exercise in the cold, and in the heat, its diuretic effect may lead to dehydration," says Wadler. "Poorly appreciated is the fact that athletes who socially consume excessive alcohol the evening after a practice or a game may subsequently have an impairment of athletic skills for as long as 14 hours." Hangovers, the residual or "day-after" effect of alcoholic consumption, can result in symptoms of headaches, nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, dehydration, and body aches that can diminish athletic performance.

I was mistaken about the IOC, they do not consider Alcohol to be a peformance enhancer because of the detrimental effects , despite of its high energy, low fat, protein etc content

Crikes, thats informative.

I did not affect Bill Werbenick's snooker game and he used to drink for Canada and many arrows players positively thrive on it - so why not footballers ?

As long as not hung over from a session the night before.

I'm one of the people who think it's pretty wrong. Footballers are paid to be fit. Getting ****ed every weekend is not going to help their fitness, especially when they're injured as it's already been pointed out. The complete cheek of McCormack to moan time and time again he's still not fully fit as well. You're not exactly helping yourself are you! It frustrates me even more when they're doing it when we're in a spell like we are now.

A main gripe with me about his off the field habits though, comes with the point that I know for a fact that youth players use it as an excuse for them to go out drinking. "Macca does it and plays every week so why can't we." It's a great standard him and the other Irishman are setting.

for god sake

let the guy have a social life.

Why ????

It is medically proven that drinking and a bad diet will affect his recovery

It is medically proven that alcohol affects your performance (oh mrs's!!!).

It is recognised (opinion-not fact ) that Wegner is one of the most forward thinking managers- and Arsenal players do not drink.

Playing professional sport is not simply a job, it is, or should be a life style. that should include looking after your body---- it isn't rocket science.
Can you picture Sir Steve Redgrave drinking whilst in training ? That is the level of commitement tht I expect, espeically whilst we are in the mess we are in. Am I in dreamworld- yes, but that says more about our players/staff than me

And there he was in the matchday programme on saturday explaining to school kids that he doesn't drink alcohol but sticks to fruit juice, and a healthy eating plan. Oh, and he also told them he has to go to bed early as he's a pro footballer. :clap:

Macca you've been poor this season, pull your socks up!!!

its not the first time macca been out on the town, i was told many times last year of macca out on the town on friday night before saturday game.
this happened on a number of home games

To harsh, I personally play better with a massive hangover on a sunday morning, a few pints would do little difference if your already mega fit like most of the players are.

So does anyone know if he was of his face or is it all just guessing games? He may have been out for a mates birthday just to be there and have a good time.

If he goes out and drinks, just get him to jog home and burn it all of!

its not the first time macca been out on the town, i was told many times last year of macca out on the town on friday night before saturday game.
this happened on a number of home games

If that is trye then the player should be dropped , regardless of who he is----- on the assumption that he has actually broken a club rule.

Back