• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maher

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main thing that gets to me with Maher as i have said numerous times is, "he never gets subbed off even if he's having a shocker of a game".

It just doesn't seem fair. Yes Maher has good games agreed but if he has a bad game he stays on the pitch regardless!

Southend United F.C. doesn't revolve around Kevin Maher!

UP THE BLUES!

To be honest, I really think Maher suffers from having been around some real dross over the years. Look at the stats - Maher is in the top 3 in the division for goal assists this season and anyone who has Blues World can go through our goals and see just how often Maher is at the start of a goal scoring sequence. This should be enough to end the argument.

It's interesting that most Maher haters seem to be under 21, high in anger and low in experience of watching football. Every side needs its workhorse who holds things together and is a constant for the youngsters/newer players. Something to build a team around. Four us, Maher is that player and he should be held up as a loyal example to the team, not berated by 14-19 year old muppets every week.

Ha ha, you forgot to mention also that Maher is the most undisciplined player at the club!

UP THE BLUES!

Tony The Kray - I've just read your posts on this thread and wondered how long it will be before Porters Grange Junior School will have the pleasure of greeting you as a pupil?.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Jan. 15 2005,20:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Jan. 15 2005,20:08)]Sometimes I bloody well wonder, I really do. Why is Maher always a scapegoat?
Not always a scapegoat, but he gets in the team no matter how bad or good he plays!

He never gets subbed off even if he's having a shocker!

Barratt should be captain, for one he is more of an organiser, motivator and talker on the pitch! And he is more of a consistent player.

But Maher has it written into his contract that he must be Captain!

Yes i agree, it's time for a change and if that means dropping Maher for a couple of games then so be it!  He needs a good kick up the backside!

Would Maher have stood for being dropped for a few games over Christmas like Gray and Eastwood.  I doubt it some how!

UP THE BLUES!
"Maher has it written into his contract that he must be captain" - what's your evidence for this comment?.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fiftyone @ Jan. 15 2005,21:55)]UP THE BLUES!
"Maher has it written into his contract that he must be captain" - what's your evidence for this comment?.[/QUOTE]
It's a myth and a load of b******s.....

Tonythecray you chat b******s son! Maher was everywhere today. if he lost the ball he chased for it back and got it back! Bentley didnt do anything today and if any of the middle two should of been taken off it was him. I'm willing to bet that you haven't/dont play alot of football and dont realise what makes a good center midfielder. You know nothing and suggest you sit down and watch abit of football instead of talking sh*t.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fiftyone @ Jan. 15 2005,21:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Jan. 15 2005,20:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Jan. 15 2005,20:08)]Sometimes I bloody well wonder, I really do. Why is Maher always a scapegoat?
Not always a scapegoat, but he gets in the team no matter how bad or good he plays!

He never gets subbed off even if he's having a shocker!

Barratt should be captain, for one he is more of an organiser, motivator and talker on the pitch! And he is more of a consistent player.

But Maher has it written into his contract that he must be Captain!

Yes i agree, it's time for a change and if that means dropping Maher for a couple of games then so be it!  He needs a good kick up the backside!

Would Maher have stood for being dropped for a few games over Christmas like Gray and Eastwood.  I doubt it some how!

UP THE BLUES!
"Maher has it written into his contract that he must be captain" - what's your evidence for this comment?.
Ive known for a long time!

I have reliable sources. I have a friend that gets complimentary tickets at Roots Hall, and he get's gossip etc.

It's one of the reasons Maher signed that extension to his contract a little while ago, you know, that time B'Orient were after him etc.
And you wonder why he never gets subbed off, he has to be kept happy otherwise he's off'ski!

UP THE BLUES!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 15 2005,22:40)]Tonythecray you chat b******s son! Maher was everywhere today. if he lost the ball he chased for it back and got it back! Bentley didnt do anything today and if any of the middle two should of been taken off it was him. I'm willing to bet that you haven't/dont play alot of football and dont realise what makes a good center midfielder. You know nothing and suggest you sit down and watch abit of football instead of talking sh*t.
what-eva!

Are you American "Center Midfielder"

UP THE BLUES!

I just thought Bentley hasn't played well recently and Maher's set pieces were awlful today!
Its so frustrating to watch!

I personally thought Maher was very good today - set peices were bad, but then so were Gower's and Nicolau's (apart from the one that Barrett "scored" from) and no one has mentioned that. When ever someone had to unload the ball, Maher was there and he only put a couple of passes astray. He is the hub of the side, and if he had a couple of proper wingers around him, he would look even better.

Two points dropped today - but a win next week, will put us back on track.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Jan. 15 2005,19:20)]Maher was outstanding today. Okay, his delivery from set pieces was below par but apart from that he was class. He was a well deserved man of the match in my eyes and its not often you get to say that. Hunt ran him a close second though.
Totally 100% couldn't agree more with this post, Hunt was excellent today - its just a shame he wasn't introduced at right-back sooner. He is now not only defending exceptionally and also covering in the middle when needed he is also learning to overlap down the right side when possible while not neglecting his defensive duties which was undoubtedly Jupp's major downfall.

Hunt was however not MotM today, it really does puzzle me when I see comments like on this thread asking why Maher was MotM today - he got the vote as quite simply (barring his set-pieces) he was absolutely outstanding from start to finish, he won tackles, he put people under pressure, quality passing, full of running - Maher was the only man driving the side on today. Does anyone else notice that Maher appears to always have plenty of time on the ball even when under close pressure which clearly demonstrates composure, it was a real captain's performance. I can't believe I'm posting this on a "Maher should be dropped" thread. When he's playing well as he did today he's one of the top 3 midfielders in League Two.

Rant over  
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What a complete bunch of tw*ts. I'm beginning to wonder whether any of the anti-Kev brigade have ever kicked a football ?

ORM your so far up kevs arse its unreal!

I have not came on here and said that Maher is crap all I have said is I think personaly that Kevin could be rested for one game just to point out the fact that he like everybody else's position is not safe no matter how long they have played for the club!

I agree totally that Maher should not have been made man of the match. He had another good game in many aspects of his play, as we've come to expect from his as one of the best in the division in his position. However as the most pivotal, experienced and (as captain) most influential player in our team he dictates the way we play and the pace of the game. As a team we played poorly against a team of lesser ability. Of course Kev can't be blamed for the form of the players around him but if he is to be a captain of a promotion winning side we should expect him to have a positive influence and move us up a gear or two when needed - he didn't do that yesterday.

Also, his dead ball delivery was awful yesterday and that alone has to mean he put himself out of the running for MoTM. At all levels of football nowadays set pieces are vitally important, probably even more so at our level and he consistently wasted ours.

I am a Maher fan, I do believe he is in the team and on course to be high up in our all time appearances list on merit. I also believe that if he was a young player in his first or second season then that performance could have merited more of a shout for MoTM. However he is not, he is our captain and most vital player on the pitch (when he is on the top of his form so are Southend) and our expectations for him are and should be higher than many other players and to my mind he failed to live up to his own high standards yesterday as a player and a captain.

Mind you, to suggest he should be dropped is ridiculous - here's to him leading us to victory next week and proving all his doubters wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 16 2005,01:04)]I think personaly that Kevin could be rested for one game just to point out the fact that he like everybody else's position is not safe no matter how long they have played for the club!
Fair opinion ... although I should point out that the two games that Maher missed this season (due to inevitable suspensions) produced just a single point; they were both at home as well. I'm not saying that we would have got more if Maher had played. Just suggesting ...

WS

Drop Maher - What a complete load of b******s

Mikes stat proves it all. 1 point from 2 home games without Kev. The bloke bar his delivery from set peices was superb todau. Must have covered every blade of grass, got some great tackles in and really looked up for the game.

Those calling for him to be dropped seem to forget that we have a squad of say no more than 16 "real" players bar YTS lads so who is going to come into central midfield..?
rock.gif

Really excitied about the prospect of going to Mansfield next week with Kev on the bench and no Bentley - £ points for the taking I am sure...!!!
mad.gif

im falling about laughing, how can we drop maher ? who for ? have we got such a big squad that we can do that ! i dont think we give enough credit to opposing teams, they obviously identify the better players in our team and target them for closer marking. eastwood is just finding that out and along with gower and maher are the players imo that make us tick. keep these three players quiet and things will be a lot easier for the opposition.

what sort of message are you sending out if you take off or drop your captain when he plays mediocre?

How many times have you seen it in, say, the Premier$hite?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Proud Shrimper @ Jan. 16 2005,00:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Jan. 15 2005,19:20)]Maher was outstanding today. Okay, his delivery from set pieces was below par but apart from that he was class. He was a well deserved man of the match in my eyes and its not often you get to say that. Hunt ran him a close second though.
Totally 100% couldn't agree more with this post, Hunt was excellent today - its just a shame he wasn't introduced at right-back sooner. He is now not only defending exceptionally and also covering in the middle when needed he is also learning to overlap down the right side when possible while not neglecting his defensive duties which was undoubtedly Jupp's major downfall.

Hunt was however not MotM today, it really does puzzle me when I see comments like on this thread asking why Maher was MotM today - he got the vote as quite simply (barring his set-pieces) he was absolutely outstanding from start to finish, he won tackles, he put people under pressure, quality passing, full of running - Maher was the only man driving the side on today. Does anyone else notice that Maher appears to always have plenty of time on the ball even when under close pressure which clearly demonstrates composure, it was a real captain's performance. I can't believe I'm posting this on a "Maher should be dropped" thread. When he's playing well as he did today he's one of the top 3 midfielders in League Two.

Rant over  
mad.gif
I agree that Hunt is a good player and can defend well, I do however doubt that he will ever be high on the assists lists. For me stopping an attack is nothing if your next play is to be negative with the distribution and give it to the opposition to attack again. His forward play breaks down, his crosses are poor and eye for goal closed. For me its the same when he is in midfield. Great workrate, questionable contribution.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Jan. 16 2005,08:56)]Also, his dead ball delivery was awful yesterday and that alone has to mean he put himself out of the running for MoTM. At all levels of football nowadays set pieces are vitally important, probably even more so at our level and he consistently wasted ours.
This is what winds me up, it's not the first game this has happened.  He just needs to buck up his ideas and lead from the front!  He hardly sets a decent example as captain, thats why i would like Barratt as captain!

Maher is not a talker on the pitch, where Barratt is!

So what if we rest Maher! (thats if we have someone to fill his place), he's not the be all and end all of the team.

We need a central midfielder on loan, a ball winner, someone in the Peter Butler, John Cornwall, Keith Jones and Jay Smith mould!  Now all of them can be counted as proper 100% players, people prepared to roll their sleeves up and spill blood for the likes of Southend United Football Club.

Bentley and Maher need a good kick up the a**e! Yes Maher has good games, but i cannot put these two in the same bracket as your Peter Butler's and John Cornwall's etc!

UP THE BLUES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back