• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maher

Status
Not open for further replies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 16 2005,23:13)]Well by the fact that they looked at him says something. Didnt see to many clubs sniffing round the "so called replacements" that are being touted round on this board.

Cant comment for the mystery midfielder who is going to come in and save us all from the depths of 4th in the table...

Orient also wanted for 2 seasons running and he said no and that is fact. Shame lesser players such as Hutchings didnt follows suit and put loyalty over cash.

Also would be keen to know how you know that he had nothing on the table? Not saying for a second I know more than you but im sure this was the case...If not then fair call.
rock.gif

blues.gif
Maher said he never got any offer from Hull or Sheffield Wednesday when he re-signed with us in the summer. He might have been lying, but why would he do that?

People on this board get so entrenched in their opinions. I rate Maher and have done for years. But that doesn't mean he is permenantly immune from criticism.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Jan. 16 2005,21:07)]maher will hopefully pick up enough yellows or a couple of reds this season, so he is forced not to play.
midfield should be, gower, bentley and someone else, just not maher...ever again
You can forget any thoughts of promotion then.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Proud Shrimper @ Jan. 17 2005,13:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Jan. 16 2005,21:07)]maher will hopefully pick up enough yellows or a couple of reds this season, so he is forced not to play.
midfield should be, gower, bentley and someone else, just not maher...ever again
You can forget any thoughts of promotion then.....
Don't rise to it mate, CSJ and his anti-Maher cronies obviously don't understand the game of football and how its played!

also on the Maher Poll thread 38 people think he is vital to the side where as 5 think he is useless. Now im no mathamatician but i would say thats a majority.

I thought Kev played well Saturday, he always seemed on hand to receive a pass and move play on (Whether sideways, forward or backwards). It must be a releif for the other player to have an outlet and know that he will always take the ball. So Kev isnt ever gonna be a hugely creative awe inspiring midfielder, SO WHAT. As long as he gives us an option for a pass and allows play to move from wing to wing or if an attacking option forward then surely he is doing his job correctly.

Why does every player need to be a superstar?
rock.gif

I stated on this board a couple of months ago why does Maher stay at Southend. He gets so much abuse from certain people in the crowd that no one could blame him if he walked away. On Saturday in thr RBS stand some fat geezer not a child in sight so whats he doing in there spent the whole match screaming abuse at Maher. When Maher slipped over right in front of him he screamed get up you lazy t****r. Maher slowly got up looked him straight in the eye and told him to f off. Did that make Mr no brain embarassed not a chance Ha Ha I really upset him didnt I he giggled. Prat

As an occasional Maher critic I thought our captain did OK on Saturday. Not a MOTM performance but probably a 7 out of 10. He spread the ball out wide, maintained possession and did all his normal stuff. He even outpowered a player in a tackle.

Whilst I think it is detrimental to the team that his position is the middle of the park (or rather 5 yards in front of the defence) is cast in stone, that doesn't mean that I think he should be dropped for our next game.

However on Shrimperzone it seems you are only allowed to have black or white views. As I don't think the sun shines out of his backside, that doesn't mean I can't recognise his strengths and what he brings to the team. At the same time as recognising his strengths I also recognise he has weaknesses - which is why he is playing for us (and nothing to do with loyalty). Maher lacks both the physicality of a Bentley and also creativity. Whilst there is none better in the squad (and probably in the division) at spraying it out wide that doesn't in itself create chances. We therefore lack the creativity, but if we go for a more creative player alongside him (ie a Jay Smith) our midfield lacks the physicality to compete.

This conundrum of balance has I believe held us back for about 8 years. Its less of a problem with Gower in the team as Gower often provides that creativity, but a midfield of Bentley-Maher is has to rely on the wings for creativity and on Saturday we weren't creating chances out wide. Personally I believe a midfield of Bentley and Smith would be better balanced, but with Smith as ever out injured, the solution for improving our midfield IMHO lies in re-calling Gower.

It's all about roles in the team. As I've said earlier in the thread. What Maher does, he does very well. If he's not creative enoguh, Tilly and Brush need to pick more creative players around him.

When Gower's fit this shouldn't be a problem. WIth Gower and Smith fit, we would have an awesome, balanced midfield IMO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Jan. 17 2005,14:18)]However on Shrimperzone it seems you are only allowed to have black or white views. As I don't think the sun shines out of his backside, that doesn't mean I can't recognise his strengths and what he brings to the team. At the same time as recognising his strengths I also recognise he has weaknesses - which is why he is playing for us (and nothing to do with loyalty). Maher lacks both the physicality of a Bentley and also creativity. Whilst there is none better in the squad (and probably in the division) at spraying it out wide that doesn't in itself create chances. We therefore lack the creativity, but if we go for a more creative player alongside him (ie a Jay Smith) our midfield lacks the physicality to compete.
Bingo. People put themselves in a camp (in this case pro-Maher or anti-Maher) and then stubbornly stick to it no matter what. Its just like the pathetic goalkeeper debate which both sides on here are as guilty for constantly stirring up. Both have strengths, both have weaknesses and both can, and have, cost us goals and both can, and have, kept us in games.

Maher had a good game on saturday. He worked as hard as ever and constantly made himself available to take a pass from his teammates. BUT if you're looking for someone to come up with a moment of magic to carve something out of nothing, or who will pile pressure onto the opposition by driving the team forward then he isn't your man because that isn't his game.

without my input, this thread would of surely died long ago...laughing out loud
maher is not a class player, but he is ok..he was struggling with the set pieces on saturday, i cannot remember him taking one that was on target or one that was a good delivery. i stand by my original comments, this goes back to the whole "support the club or get out" concept. if people aren't allowed to have their own views then what is the point eh?
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Jan. 17 2005,17:11)]... if people aren't allowed to have their own views then what is the point eh?
wink.gif
¡Estoy de acuerdo! ¡Aunque pajieras como Einstein crean que uno no puede tener opiniones! ¡Ahora tengo que decir español todo el tiempo! ¡Todos porque desafié a tener una opinión al contrario de su propio! ¡Que a cantamañanas!

WS

wink.gif

"Sí ... erm ... quiero ir a la playa ... erm ... ¿Tiene usted un coche por favor? ... erm ... ¡Honesto, no jodí a aquella mujer, Vic!"

Or something like that ...

WS

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Jan. 17 2005,17:11)]without my input, this thread would of surely died long ago...laughing out loud
maher is not a class player, but he is ok..he was struggling with the set pieces on saturday, i cannot remember him taking one that was on target or one that was a good delivery. i stand by my original comments, this goes back to the whole "support the club or get out" concept. if people aren't allowed to have their own views then what is the point eh?
wink.gif
Spot On with everything you say! I agree 100%

UP THE BLUES!

Probably cos people all want to have the last word
cool.gif

Sadly, I guess it's still very much relevant to SOuthend so it'll probably drag on to page 15.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Jan. 17 2005,19:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Jan. 17 2005,17:11)]... if people aren't allowed to have their own views then what is the point eh?
wink.gif
¡Estoy de acuerdo! ¡Aunque pajieras como Einstein crean que uno no puede tener opiniones! ¡Ahora tengo que decir español todo el tiempo! ¡Todos porque desafié a tener una opinión al contrario de su propio! ¡Que a cantamañanas!

WS

wink.gif
In English, Mike!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 17 2005,23:11)]Probably cos people all want to have the last word    
cool.gif
I've never been one that wishes to have the last word. Can we close this thread please ?
tounge.gif

The Maher vote thread tells me all I need to know thank you.

There's only one KEVIN MAHER, a living legend.

I may have to change my nickname.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back