• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Maher

Status
Not open for further replies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Jan. 15 2005,21:19)]The main thing that gets to me with Maher as i have said numerous times is, "he never gets subbed off even if he's having a shocker of a game".
Probably because when he is playing below par for him he is still ten times better than anyone else in the team.

Maher's problem is his brilliance. We are all so used to him playing well that when he doesn't we are all disappointed. We lose sight of the fact that he is still the best payer on the pitch.

The rest of the team all think he is superman. They think that they can play any type of ball to him with any number of players around him and that he will control it and find a blue shirt. The problem for him is that about 90% of the time he does, so the cycle continues.

IMO he was brilliant yesterday, set pieces apart. At the end though I wasn't sure if the set pieces were his fault or not, because when Gower came on and took over he had the same problem.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Jan. 16 2005,17:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Proud Shrimper @ Jan. 16 2005,14:04)]Could someone please explain to me what in God's name is wrong with switching the play to the flanks which is one of the things Maher is extremely good at. It stretches the opposition and allows for crosses to be delivered into the box for the forward players - it is a stonewall fact that over 40% of goals eminate from wide areas.

I still can't believe some people question Maher's importance to this football club, quite simply if there was no Maher we wouldn't have a cat-in-hell's chance of promotion.
Phew! At last, someone speaks some common sense. Maher is absolutely pivotal to the way we play - he is the heartbeat of the team and his ability to soak up opposition attacks in front of the back four and start new attacks is a Godsend.

People who criticise his 'sideways passing' need to grasp some knowledge of football tactics. It's not his fault if the move subsequently breaks down due to a team-mate's lack of ball retention (sadly an all too common theme recently).

Quite simply, when Maher doesn't play, we look absolutely clueless - see the Grimsby game for a reference.
Thankyou Kris I was beginning to think I'd been watching different games to everyone else!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 16 2005,17:53)]I did not say there was nothing wrong with kevs sideways passing just his lack of forward passing!
So you think Maher should pass forward just for the sake of it, to make you happy, even if there is no logical route to follow in that direction?

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So you think Maher should pass forward just for the sake of it, to make you happy, even if there is no logical route to follow in that direction?
begs the question WHY is there no logical route? as a midfielder is his job not to push the team forward? to create play? in the team there seams to be a brick wall between the center of midfield and the strikers and the only way through is down the wings!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 16 2005,20:31)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So you think Maher should pass forward just for the sake of it, to make you happy, even if there is no logical route to follow in that direction?
begs the question WHY is there no logical route? as a midfielder is his job not to push the team forward? to create play?
Indeed it may be. But, although some people do think he is God, I don't feel he is able to create players to place in front of him to whom he can pass the ball!

WS

maher will hopefully pick up enough yellows or a couple of reds this season, so he is forced not to play.
midfield should be, gower, bentley and someone else, just not maher...ever again

Ok, thats fair enough, that part of my post was just checking that it was indeed a 3 man midfield.

More importantly, who is the mystery 3rd man?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Jan. 16 2005,21:07)]maher will hopefully pick up enough yellows or a couple of reds this season, so he is forced not to play.
Indeed.

Because we have done sooooooo well without him in the two matches he has been suspended this season. A home defeat and a home draw? Yeah, definately promotion form ... drop him ...

WS

Yes I agree lets drop Maher - The thought of of a Bentley and Lewis Hunt midfield makes we warm all over.

What a load of sh*t I have read from a few people on here. Complete and utter b******s. If Mahers was free tomorrow how many clubs in this division would like to sign him do you think...15+ would be my guess......

This summer he turned down offers from Hull and Sheff Wed but hey what do Peter Taylor and Chris Turner know about football that we people that see football for 90 mins once a week know...

The bloke has time and time again shown loyalty to Southend despite better offers and its about time a few people showed a bit of loyalty to the captain that has taken us to 4th out highest position since we have entered this god forsaken division.

DtS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Jan. 16 2005,22:35)]This summer he turned down offers from Hull and Sheff Wed but hey what do Peter Taylor and Chris Turner know about football that we people that see football for 90 mins once a week know...
That simply isn't true though. They might have looked at him as he was up on a free, but they never offered him anything.

Well by the fact that they looked at him says something. Didnt see to many clubs sniffing round the "so called replacements" that are being touted round on this board.

Cant comment for the mystery midfielder who is going to come in and save us all from the depths of 4th in the table...

Orient also wanted for 2 seasons running and he said no and that is fact. Shame lesser players such as Hutchings didnt follows suit and put loyalty over cash.

Also would be keen to know how you know that he had nothing on the table? Not saying for a second I know more than you but im sure this was the case...If not then fair call.
rock.gif
blues.gif

I fear you are wasting your breath DTS. Someone on here said Maher had the most assists in the division (or could of been most in the team, far to drunk to look back) and others are now saying why is he not pushing the team forward and linking the midfield to attack. Best bet is to put your fingers in your ears and hum so as to drown out the b******s that is all around. Anyway always keep in mind that Tilly plays him and no matter what certain folks think or say he will be picked if Tilly feels it is right for the team.

With the assists, I'd imagine it's no small part to do with set pieces with Barrett as our second top scorer and I'm pretty sure it was division, 100% certain he must have been for Southend at least.

How refreshing it is seeing another Maher debate...

Maher is our only player who is comfortable on the ball and is always available. The rest panic when the ball is played to them. Bentley does not contribute anything. He is a Conference player at best. Pettifer is a scurrier and tries really hard. Gower is too greedy. Eastwood could be a sensation but has a lot to learn - it's a tough game and uncompromising at this level. Gray can run and chase but does not deliver as a striker. Dudfield needs a provider around the box. Bramble needs a confidence injection. Nicky could be a sensation. Hunt is a very good player. Prior can hold his own at this level. Che is weak on the right foot. Bart and Dazzer - we are very lucky to have 2 good keepers (at this level too). And if we had eleven Adam Barretts then every thing would be rosy. And where's Kightly ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Fitter @ Jan. 17 2005,00:56)]I fear you are wasting your breath DTS. Someone on here said Maher had the most assists in the division (or could of been most in the team, far to drunk to look back) and others are now saying why is he not pushing the team forward and linking the midfield to attack. Best bet is to put your fingers in your ears and hum so as to drown out the b******s that is all around. Anyway always keep in mind that Tilly plays him and no matter what certain folks think or say he will be picked if Tilly feels it is right for the team.
Indeed, Maher does have the most assists in this division, currently standing on 9.

Some of these so called fans make me laugh, our most loyal and best midfielder we have, and some of you are calling for him to be dropped?
Please go back and tell me how many games we've won without Maher in the team...

If it were down to the kids our team would be full of one-trick pony Ryman prospects like Neil Jenkins, Steven Clark, Tony Scully, Barrington Belgrave and Mark Rawle. Oh and not forgetting teen pin-up 'dishy' Daryl Flahavan.

What a painful start to a Monday morning. Eight pages of complete drivel except for the odd occassional bit of sense.

Maher is midfield general and people who do not understand what he does are clearly not football fans.

Without him we'd be a lot worse off.

mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back