• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Gower was one of the best wide players we have had at the club. He may still do a good job in Division 2 and may well be a potentially good coach. However, if he did return it would probably be another case of people at the top interfering with playing and coaching matters. Managers should be allowed to sign their own people especially when it comes to coaching staff. It is crazy to have people working together who may not be on the same wavelength, it causes unease and confusion. If Sturrock agrees to Gower signing thats fine, if not it could be another Eastwood situation.
At the moment it is all only a rumour anyway!

I think Scott Houghton was the widest player we have had at the club :winking:

Wonder if it's the same Swansea fan who posted this on the Football Forums site this week-

Southend Fans
I am not sure if any Southend fans post but Mark Gower would like to go back to Southend they want him out this Month at Swansea and he have approached Southend offering his services. Southend are a little reluctant stating they have financial problems but he is only after a set wage which the other players are having. Played premier league up until this season although 34 very fit and could easily find a Championship club for more money but that is not what he is after would like to bring coaching into the role.​

I'm afraid I don't know if it's the same person.

I think we may have learned a lesson or two regarding mid thirties players in recent times. As much as I rated Gower (clearly one of the best players to have played under the Tilson years) it has to be Sturrocks choice and his alone. I'm convinced Eastwood was signed to get more bums on seats and that has back fired big style.

All depends if he is a fit 35 yearold, or going to spend half his time here injured. We have enough injury prone players knocking around already.

I think we may have learned a lesson or two regarding mid thirties players in recent times. As much as I rated Gower (clearly one of the best players to have played under the Tilson years) it has to be Sturrocks choice and his alone. I'm convinced Eastwood was signed to get more bums on seats and that has back fired big style.

Yep. Agree with this.

Wonder if it's the same Swansea fan who posted this on the Football Forums site this week-

Southend Fans
I am not sure if any Southend fans post but Mark Gower would like to go back to Southend they want him out this Month at Swansea and he have approached Southend offering his services. Southend are a little reluctant stating they have financial problems but he is only after a set wage which the other players are having. Played premier league up until this season although 34 very fit and could easily find a Championship club for more money but that is not what he is after would like to bring coaching into the role.​
The first part of the above is definitely true and he is heading back to Upminster. Not sure about the second part but if the wages issue is not going to be beyond what we would pay at our level and PS is keen then I think it would be a great signing.

The first part of the above is definitely true and he is heading back to Upminster. Not sure about the second part but if the wages issue is not going to be beyond what we would pay at our level and PS is keen then I think it would be a great signing.

I'd be surprised if Sturrock would want a player which wasn't his idea.

If RVP was signed without Sturrock knowing he would be out of favour instantly.

Can see him ending up at Charlton or Millwall , if he is only on a couple of grand at Swansea then he would be mad to come here and earn the same when Charltion could possibly double that and give him a signing on fee

Mark was one of the finest players I enjoyed running the wing at Roots Hall. Still have so many vivid recollections of those runs down the left. Cutting inside and dispatching the ball into the top corner of the net!

Can see him ending up at Charlton or Millwall , if he is only on a couple of grand at Swansea then he would be mad to come here and earn the same when Charltion could possibly double that and give him a signing on fee
Not a bad shout actually, he was at Spurs as a youngster with Charlton's captain, and I would imagine Chris Powell is well aware of him too.

Back