• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mark Gower

I'm not disagreeing with any of that - I personally think he's our best player but regardless he's clearly having a nightmare at the moment. I'm disagreeing with your claim that he "hides" on the pitch when no matter how badly he is playing he always wants the ball. He always makes himself available for the ball and his teammates always look to pass it to him as soon as they can. You saying that he hides on the field simply is not true.

Well seeing as I got you agree with the rest of my comments about him I'll concede that one then . I have to ask if " our best player" is this bad what you think our worst player is ( un - ) capable of ?:)

Looks like Gower is having a stormer today against Northampton. Maybe my rant had some effect and he took notice of me!!! Apologies are currently being accepted!!;) ;) ;) :D :D :D

mark gower had an ok game today(northampton) - not his best, but he can not be faulted for his effort in the second half - he didnot stop running, despite looking absolutly nackered.

Yeah he's a disgrace to the club, Someone shouted to him to get down down the line/ on ur bike gower he then turned round and said "shut up u Prick" Now to me this is not a good example in front of kids. It was in the 1st 5mins so he can't be concentrating on his game or the game. Time to take this to the club. It's shocking!!

Yeah he's a disgrace to the club, Someone shouted to him to get down down the line/ on ur bike gower he then turned round and said "shut up u Prick" Now to me this is not a good example in front of kids. It was in the 1st 5mins so he can't be concentrating on his game or the game. Time to take this to the club. It's shocking!!

Sorry but that is nonsense.
Why are "supporters" so precious about this, they think they can accord players with all sorts of obscenities, but then come over holier than thou when they get a response in kind.

I was sitting close to where Gower's response was targetted and it was a bit naughty. He actually said "f***ing shut you're mouth."
A pro shouldn't react like that, but that said he was getting abuse within the opening minutes of the game. We're not bottom of the league so I don't understand the stick any of our players get, all of whom are all part of - so far this season - a successful team. Yes, I know we all pay our money and therefore are entitled to an opinion, but Gower has been instrumental in our success over recent years and deserves a break from some fans now that he isn't playing as well as we know he can.

Gower was out of order with his reply. The fan who gave him stick was also out of order. Hopefully thats the end of it and everybody gets behind him at Forest on Tuesday.

Finally, I thought Gower had a very good game today. Certainly our best attacking player and underlined how important he is to the side.

I was sitting close to where Gower's response was targetted and it was a bit naughty. He actually said "f***ing shut you're mouth."
That is 100% what he said and i was quite shocked as i was sitting next to a group of children.
That said i dont really like all this hassle players get from some Southend supporters during games as imho it acts like a twelfth man for the opposition.Gower had a good game and was our only real threat.

ok agreed he shouldnt have responded like that but he shouldnt have got the abuse in the first place least of all two minutes into a game when hes had the ball once.

:guns:

I thought Gower was a lot better today, looked dangerous and had plenty of the ball. There were a couple of situtations where he did the wrong thing, though. Moussa did nothing on the right.

people may not agree with me here, but gower today was terrible. he was lazy and was not interested. i look at adam barrett and the passion he shows and the respect he has for club and fans is emmense. at the moment this is the exact opposite for gower.

-firstly, got caught not even watching the game on at least 2 occasions.
-players do get abuse from fans, its part of their job to be professional about it.
-the final 5-10 mins every player was fighting with every last bit of there energy, at one point we had 3 or 4 corners against us, gower was standing between goal and corner spot not even looking and when the area he is meant to be defending a player ran there he didnt even track him.

in my opinion he doesnm't deserve to be even in the squad for forrest. he needs to get his **** in gear as i no he is a very good player but is going through a very bad patch at the moment.

i really think he let the players down today and he was very lucky none of his defensive mistakes cost us today, does he think he's to good to defend, in time hammell with bound to get ****ed of with leaving him in the **** everytime they have an attack.

I think both sides in this are wrong to certain extents.

Fans up and down the country, across the globe, cheer and slag off players from time to time. That's life. While I wouldn't be hurling abuse at Gower 5 minutes into a match - there will always be some that will feel the need to - and that is their decision...

As for Mark Gower - he is a professional and should be able to concentrate on the match rather than what the crowd is saying to him. Players, especially goalkeepers playing at away grounds, have to listen to a lot of abuse from fans (home and away alike) but it is very rare that you hear of a player reacting. Gower has now twice in as many games publicly sworn at a section of support where there are a lot of kids in the vicinity...kids these days idolise football players - so how must it feel for them to hear their idols swearing at people in their general direction? I know there is the argument at this point that the fans shouldn't be coming out with this language also - but i feel the impact of hearing a player say this stuff is far greater.

I have faith that Mark will turn his poor form around - but I hope this is the last we hear of him in these controversial circumstances: it is very saddening because we are near top of the league and doing well, but instead we are acting with instances such as this as if we were bottom...

Last edited:
Getting fed up with all the stick Mark Gower gets.
What does he have to do to stop the criticism.
He had a great game at Northampton, worked really hard, tracked back when he had to, was certainly our most dangerous player going forward, and created just about every chance we had.
Absolute garbage to say he didn't help out when we defended, he tracked back whenever Northampton broke. And as for where he was standing for corners, I suggest that you refer to ST and PB for that, because players are directed by them. If not why would Moussa give their wide left player acres of space whenever they were in possession.
I can understand fans frustration when either the team or individual players are not having the best of games, but for God's sake give the guy some credit when he does everything that was asked of him.
I thought he had a great game.
Well done Mark Gower.

Last edited:
Back